Is it hunting?

G-Man

Who cares! Haven’t read all 6 pages but I can only imagine where it’s went.

Hunt however makes you happy, shoot what makes you happy and don’t worry about the guy across the road.

The same arguments happen in the fishing world with people that say trolling isn’t really fishing, who the hell cares!

If you don’t like shooting long ranges don’t do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Another freaking stupid thread..........WTG

A quote from " She Wore a Yellow Ribbon "    ( made by the old Cheyenne Chief)

"  NATHAN...We are too OLD for war....You...Me  go  hunt buffalo....Get DRUNK..! "

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bowshotmuzzleloader said:

Down riggers or standing on the bank fishing or not,,,, ughhhh

Right! Are you a fisherman/woman if you throw a bobber and worm out and just sit and wait?  OR do we need to be in a boat casting with pinpoint accuracy , targeting that trophy fish?

:rolleyes:

BACK to the topic at hand...

I hunt primarily northwoods, where a long shot is 75 yards. You spend a lot of time scouting for not just an active area, but a place you can actually put a stand. I shoot most deer well inside 50 yards. That said, when I used to hunt more open areas, sometimes I was set up for 200 yards in open fields. The trick isn't finding deer, it is actually shooting frequently and good enough to be proficient. When I am at the range I am constantly amazed at the shooters who cant hit crap at 75 yards and think they are fine for two or three hundred.. It doesn't help that a lot of hunting shows and firearm merchandisers particularly market the long range capabilities of their equipment. Bragging rights. It does boil down to though, that it takes more combined skills to hunt successfully in close than from afar.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2018 at 5:37 PM, G-Man said:

I have had this discussion with a few of my friends. Is it really hunting taking long shots? Or is it target shooting? 

Perhaps is the bowhunter in me but anything over 100 yards for deer or big game is target shooting to me. The game doesn't know your there and you really dont need to be concealed that well . Under 30 yards is hunting to me ..it takes some skill ability and patients to let game get that close or closer..

shooting off a rest at an animal feeding 200 yards isn't to me. Though shooting skill may take precedence on long shots 300 yards plus to me I might as well be shooting a clanger  on the range off the bench. 

Same with turkey it takes some skill to get a bird 10 yards or so but the push is for tighter patterns and longer shots... 

Are we teaching .hunting skills or shooting skills or just using technology.  ?

Good question you could add the  use of a ground blind or tree stand to this  Question

Hunt  definition is 

to chase or search for (game or other wild animals) for the purpose of catching or killing.

if your just waiting around in a blind or stand are you really hunting or fishing ? 

Does it matter ? 

I guess not if your just doing it for food .

Edited by Storm914

I like to satisfy all definitions of hunting so I will only shoot at a deer at 300yds that first passed by me at 25yds.  Then I know I got nice and close and still showed the shooting proficiency to kill it at longer ranges.  Obviously, I must be on foot stalking so as to avoid claims of cheating by my man Biz!  Cant we all just .............................................................

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Scenario;

I walk out of my house to hunt a deer.

On my way out back to the stand, I see a legal deer at the back of one of the fields at 400 yds.

I drop the deer (not really - I've never taken a 400 yd shot at a deer, but you get the idea).

I recover said deer and bring it home.

Veni vidi vici.