Plant?

Paula

Skunk cabbage.  Turkeys will eat the seeds.  My fall bird 2 years ago had its crop stuffed with them. 

And keep your eyes peeled in that area for morels now and soon.  Perfect location around and near there. It’s how I found some last year.  Gotta beat the slugs to the shrooms though.  They could pop in a day so be persistent! 

Edited by turkeyfeathers

Skunk cabbage.  Turkeys will eat the seeds.  My fall bird 2 years ago had its crop stuffed with them. 
And keep your eyes peeled in that area for morels now and soon.  Perfect location around and near there. It’s how I found some last year.  Gotta beat the slugs to the shrooms though.  They could pop in a day so be persistent! 

That’s the first I’m hearing about skunk cabbage being a good indicator of morels- not doubting you of course ...just saying!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, crappyice said:

That’s the first I’m hearing about skunk cabbage being a good indicator of morels- not doubting you of course ...just saying!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hunted morels for years on same ground and never found any. Finally read they like similar ground to skunk cabbage. Last year daughter and I were approaching the noon deadline to our hunt for turkey in spring. Said let’s take a deer trail I think may hold morels near the skunk cabbage.  I think I yelled bingo pretty loud as my hunch payed off They were on the edge of a spring run off of a slight hill,  mucky and loaded with skunk cabbage.  

• Like 1

Morels have always been around elm and poplar and ash ( usually wetter edges of woods hold these trees) I have seen many nearl old large elm stumps. Being skunk cabbage like similar  areas I would agree with turkey feather assessment