Letchworth leaks

Paula

I have acres of the stuff continous.. every one I see posts patches. Perhaps because no one digs mine? I mean like 10 to 15 acres of the stuff no gaps. Whole hill smells line an onion. Had buddy turn a shovel full over and ot looks like an egg carton upside down they are packed so tight.. any one else have them this thick?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

I have only seen them in small patches as well...like the pic Paula posted. Sounds like you have the mother load G-man!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I get nearly sick smelling them sitting in them hunting turkey but that's where the roost is as well

• Like 1

We pick them every year in April as well. Same couple places every year. They arent super thick, but maybe they would be if we didnt pick them same places. By we i mean, usually 5 or 6 of us going to town on them. Lol they are good raw, or on anything! Man i love leaks.. 

3 hours ago, G-Man said:

I have acres of the stuff continous.. every one I see posts patches. Perhaps because no one digs mine? I mean like 10 to 15 acres of the stuff no gaps. Whole hill smells line an onion. Had buddy turn a shovel full over and ot looks like an egg carton upside down they are packed so tight.. any one else have them this thick?

Same here.The woods here are blanketed in them as far as the eye can see right out my door across the entire property.

I could never figure out why everyone would lose their minds over something that doesn't take much effort to find here.

I've never tried the things to be honest with ya, and I have to believe that all onions are created equal and folks just enjoy the fact that these grow wild and they can "hunt" for them on their own. I mean how deliciously succulent can an onion of any kind be...lol?

Are you supposed to eat the bulbs or the leaves? Maybe I'll dig a few to see what all the excitement is about, but I'm prepared to NOT be blown away!

3 hours ago, wooly said:

Same here.The woods here are blanketed in them as far as the eye can see right out my door across the entire property.

I could never figure out why everyone would lose their minds over something that doesn't take much effort to find here.

I've never tried the things to be honest with ya, and I have to believe that all onions are created equal and folks just enjoy the fact that these grow wild and they can "hunt" for them on their own. I mean how deliciously succulent can an onion of any kind be...lol?

Are you supposed to eat the bulbs or the leaves? Maybe I'll dig a few to see what all the excitement is about, but I'm prepared to NOT be blown away!

Yes not much of a hunt is it..like going to a high fence area.. a place in town makes a great ham and leek sausage,and another friend makes a leek dip... I however do not have that kind of ambition...lol I have had fresh leaves on a sandwich like lettuce and find them tasty that way..

"Letchworth leaks".......
Paula Darlin'.....When I saw that title I thought perhaps you were going to tell us a story about squatting behind a bush in Letchworth Park.....Thanks for the visual....Hehehe....

From all her recent bouts with Tequilla I was expecting the same!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, wooly said:

Lots of different onions out there, my favorites are Vidalias and Leeks, with reds after that. I dont use the green part of the leeks that much, mostly the bulbs and white part above them. They are a more mild flavor than white or yellow onions you pick up in the store. I just like picking them, as they are great in soups or stews and they are free. I have a recipe for a venison stew called hotdish that I make every spring with fresh wild leeks. Theres just something a little satisfying about cooking venison and leeks that came from the same property. I dont loose my mind over them, they are everywhere at both farms that I hunt.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wooly said:

It’s always been a hunt for me. Hopefully not so much anymore. 

We grilled some last night. They sweet tasting, and free!!!

5 minutes ago, Paula said:

It’s always been a hunt for me. Hopefully not so much anymore. 

We grilled some last night. They sweet tasting, and free!!!

You can come pick, and vacuum pack and freeze all you want.. they are everywhere..

• Like 1

they are fern sprouts

Yeah yeah...I get that and love them but never found them in the wild (only on chi-chi menus). What I so poorly expressed in my haste was my actual question about best growing locales and areas i should begin my quest for fiddleheads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk