ATV Batteries

Just curious if you use a trickle charger on your ATV when not in use.

I have had a 2005 Polaris Sportsman for years and bought a new one last year..   New one has power steering and a "lot" of electronics...

The battery on the new one went dead on me last fall and I have very few hours on it..   I think either I or one of my buddies either left the key on or something..   Battery seems to be shot as it will not take a charge

Just curious if others have problems with battery staying strong or if you use a trickle charger when not in use.

Google it , but I believe the newer Polaris battery’s were bad from the get go. But I do use the trickle chargers on all 3 of my atvs and my riding mower battery. Wait for harbor freight to put there’s on sale for like 5 bucks. I have used them going in 5 or so years now and they work great. 

with small amp-hour batteries like that they can drain fairly easily.  the coil on the wheeler should keep it charged but i like to keep it hooked up to a float charger on batteries when something's not being used often.  not just trickle charger that is always on unless you unplug it.  float chargers turn on/off automatically when battery if fully charged or not. even expensive ones pay for themselves after a handful of years. it makes that expensive battery last a bit longer.

I use a trickle charger and even bring the battery inside in the winter and put it on the trickle charger. Seems like the cold really beats the battery up as well.

It’s a pain because I use it to plow but it’s better than killing a battery every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to hi-jack the thread but ...... I need a lawn mower battery . The one in my Troy-Bilt Bronco is a measly  150 amp battery . I looked at batteries on several sites - WalMart , Lowes , Home Depot and Tractor Supply . The ratings on the batteries was pretty bad . The battery I have is not up to par and could eventually kill the starter . I am amazed at the horrible reviews ! I wonder how the ATV batteries will fare . 

I don tthink the new polaris batteries were very good to begin with. My grandfather just picked up a 1 year old Ranger last year. And his battery is shot already. Even after re charge. it wont stay juiced up. Dont cheap out when you replace it, i did twice now and only got a year or 2 out each of them. Ive never used a trickle charge on my atvs and they seem to fire fine..

Edited by LET EM GROW

I trickle charge mine frequently. However, it's three years old, so I'll probably put a new one in before hunting season. I'm thinking some of the "new" gel type batteries need some sort of special charger versus a regular trickle type charger.

17 hours ago, fasteddie said:

I looked at batteries on several sites - WalMart , Lowes , Home Depot and Tractor Supply . The ratings on the batteries was pretty bad

The days of buying "good " batteries are over. If you are  lucky you will get two years out of the new ones for mowers atv's  etc.  I pull my out every fall (except four-wheeler) charge them and keep them in a warm basement and check them from time to time over winter and still ended up buying three new ones last year. I finally invested in one of the to keep me going when I want to go.

jumpstart.jpg

3 hours ago, Steve D said:

The days of buying "good " batteries are over. If you are  lucky you will get two years out of the new ones for mowers atv's  etc.  I pull my out every fall (except four-wheeler) charge them and keep them in a warm basement and check them from time to time over winter and still ended up buying three new ones last year. I finally invested in one of the to keep me going when I want to go.

jumpstart.jpg

This is my backup -- Antigravity Batteries AG-XP-3 Multi-Function Power Supply and Jump Starter

Antigravity Batteries AG-XP-3 Multi-Function Power Supply and Jump Starter

19 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Cool...I had not heard of those yet.:good:

I think I paid around $85 for it . It has a nice case and looks like a Bible case . It does the trick and it is quite compact . I bought it to keep in my car as I park off road when hunting and didn't want to take a chance on getting stranded .