Things to do in Canandaigua, NY area?

goosifer

Just walking up and down main street there are some neat shops. There is a Runnings. If it were later in the season, there are Bar/resturaunts on the water. The Pier, you can fish or just sit back and relax .. lot of shopping opportunities lol I Drive through everyday.    

• Like 1

holy mackeral, it would be an easy four day week end just to get started...

Like someone else mentioned, Sonnenberg Gardens is a great nice weather stop: Victorian era mansion with sprawling gardesns.  The Rheinblick German Restaurant is a fun stop. A small family owned first generation German restaurant, great REAL german food and service....reservations usually required, but not expensive.

Nearby in Rochester is the George Eastman Mansion, Owned and built by George Eastman, of Kodak fame: who was a very avid hunter and traveler.

Rochester has a nice zoo (Canandaigua is essentially a suburb of Rochester).

More wineries than you can shake a stick at....but I get bored with them. Canandaigua proper probably offers lots on its own, being right in the fingerlakes. google their chamber of commerce calendar to see what is going on nearby when you are going to be there.

• Like 1

I live in Bristol, about 10 to 15 mins from downtown Canandaigua. Honestly, its a little early for most of the things Canandaigua has to offer. You can check out Sonnenberg, but the flowers and whatnot arent blooming yet. Theres shopping if youre into that, you can walk down by the lake and check out the pier, though most of the shops down there arent open yet. Some decent resteraunts. Victor is not far away, theres a big movie theater over there, the mall, lots of higher end stores and some good restaurants. If you want to do something outdoorsy, Bristol mountain has zip lining and hiking. I believe last weekend was it for skiing there. Naples is a nice town on the south end of the lake. Theres more to do in Rochester, but you are talking a 30 - 45 min drive depending what you are looking to do. Letchworth State Park is not that far away, 30 mins or so.

• Like 1

Thanks, guys. I forgot to mention that we have Runnings and the German restaurant on the agenda already. May go to Naples for an art gallery there. If we do, will be sure to check out Sutton's. We need to run to the northeast side of Rochester for an errand, so that area is in play, too, for us. Might do something boring like mattress shopping.

1 hour ago, Otto said:

The NYS Culinary and Wine Institute is supposed to be great. I have not been, but it's on my list.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Went there 3 years ago and it was really nice if you like that kind of thing. We also went to Fox Run Vineyards for their Garlic Festival and had a great time. Lot of nice little shops in Canandaigua. Could spend hours going through all of them.

Avon has a good outdoor Flea Market on Sundays on Rt 15, if you like to itch, LOL. Next to the Drive In. Their is usually someone cooking chicken on the corner of 15 and Rt 20 that is really good when we go there. 

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Like 1

If you're interested in really old airplanes and generally crazy old inventors there's the Curtiss Museum at the south end of Keuka lake. Hammondsport, I believe. It's a nice drive at least.

On the ceiling of the lobby is a quarter-scale model I helped build of the actual first airplane. The Wright Brothers took the credit, but Curtiss was the first man in the air with a controllable airplane. Orville and Wilbur went up and came down. Glenn Curtiss took off and circled for a landing. That had never been done before.5adfae4b77549_800px-Glenn_Curtiss_on_his_V-8_motorcycle_Ormond_Beach_Florida_1907.jpg.1034068ccd2f6663346fe93273d59c5c.jpg

Like I said, the guy was absolutely nuts. A v-eight engine on a bicycle. :drinks: Glenn said, why not? Notice the shaft drive. I think this photo was from the late 1800's. It's a pretty cool museum dedicated to a true hero of American individualism, and well worth the visit.

• Like 3

Hiking can go to Grimes glenn or watkins glenn
Somnenburg is cool.

The park along the lake is nice kershaw park and the pier.

Could go on the canandaigua lady boat cruise if it's launched(idk when).

Victor has some nice stores mall is huge. Dicks and LL Bean there I believe (20 min)

Lots and lots of fishing areas around

If go to Naples Sutton's is really cool old place to check out. Luigis pizza is good(35 min)

Pontillos pizza in canandaigua is probably best pizza and wings in 100 miles IMO.

Erie canal is palmayra Macedon area (20 min)

Harley shop in Geneva (15 min
Seneca lake and the park they have there at the end of like in Geneva

Grew up in canandaigua tons to do there. I could probably come up with more but all seems normal to me as I spent 25 years there lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, stoneam2006 said:

If your willing to drive a little bit the Curtis wright museum in Hammondsport (sp) is awesome and worth the drive about 45 min or so.

Missed that philioshop mentioned it...truely and awesome place

No offense, but it's not the Curtis Wright museum. It's the Glenn Curtiss Museum. You're thinking of a song by maybe the Allman Brothers.

Shoot I don't know what I was thinking lol....good catch very cool place and if I understand it right he was designer of the first plane to land on water and they still fly that big red plane one day yearly and land on the lake....some sort of festival or something right?

• Like 1

They do fly that plane almost every year, weather permitting. It's something to see. Even with the updated and mandatory FAA regs and modifications to the plane it's still a hoot. Glenn Curtiss wasn't a desk jockey looking for safe spaces to hide in. It would be nice if more young people felt that way.

• Like 1