Question about sheds (storage sheds)

Jeremy K

2 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

For those of you who have back yard sheds . What kind of foundation is under your shed ? I' m building a 12x16 this summer and before I go ahead and do it the way I want ,I would like to know what other people have done .

mine is built on 4x4 set in the ground because they were already there. If I built a new one it would set on a bed of gravel, built on 4x4 "runners"

• Like 3

I had a concrete slab poured for my 12x16 shed.  Added 2 feet to the front and about 6" the rest of the way around for easy maintenance (ie lawn cutting next to the shed). (don't forget to install PVC conduit to slab if adding electric to shed).

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Buy one from the amish.. 1500. For a 12x20.. conewango. 200 bucks to deliver it. Cant buy lumber for that price.  Bonus it's on skids and not taxable

12x16 is as big as I can go . From the materials list I have ,the price is less then a grand ,that' for T1 11 siding ,I don' like that stuff so I'll end up going with vinyl. 

at my house i have a shed that was already there set on wooden beams.  if i was going that big i'd do a concrete slab on grade.  if you want to cut cost you could set it on leveled sauna tube concrete footings. they'd last forever compared to wood underneath. i wouldn't make them that deep to they're manageable if you want to move or get rid of it in the future. you're just using them for a surface and maybe to bolt it down in event of high winds if you have them.

• Like 1

I had a 12x16 delivered two yrs ago. It has 4x4 PT runners. I made a box out or 4x4 3' wider and longer than the shed and filled it with 3/4” stone. Don't use crusher run. It holds moisture. The stone allows the rain to flow through it easily. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

12x16 is as big as I can go . From the materials list I have ,the price is less then a grand ,that' for T1 11 siding ,I don' like that stuff so I'll end up going with vinyl. 

Smaller is cheaper. And 3/4 in wood for siding

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

How high is the ridge, inside?

I only ask as mine is too low, too low for what you ask? Hanging a deer by its hind feet.  I cut the hind legs off before hoisting them up but on the bigger bodied deer their head is still on the deck, making skinning a royal PIA.

Installing a cupola in my shed has been on the drawing board for a few spring/summers and hasn't materialized yet. 

7' 3" is mine now.......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

For those of you who have back yard sheds . What kind of foundation is under your shed ?

To answer your question, mine is built a 4x4 skids.  I don't really recall if I put stone or a vapor barrier down when I built it 19 years ago?

The 3/4" PT decking is in perfect shape as far as I know. :)

• Like 1

i have a 12,16 with a loft that runs around 3 sides. 8/12 pitched roof. sits on 6 handi-blocks. They are buried so the bottom of joists are  up off the ground about 3 ". good airflow. has never heaved but down low enough that grass and weeds won't  grow under it.  Used 2x12 pressure treated for joists. t-111 exterior (the thicker grade) and advantech flooring. it is all like the day I put it up and that was 20 years ago. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

Buy one from the amish.. 1500. For a 12x20.. conewango. 200 bucks to deliver it. Cant buy lumber for that price.  Bonus it's on skids and not taxable
I think mine came from down that way.
I have a 8x16, vinyl siding, two windows, steal roof, and osb under the steal roof. Delivered with a ramp was 2700.00 the cheapest I could find after looking for months.
Sits on (2) 4x4 runners on the leveling blocks. There is plenty of room for air flow, and I can't imagine it rotting away over the next 20 years.
https://www.amishvalleysheds.com

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nyslowhand said:

Depending on where you live, want the shed built/placed, size and esp your budget - here's a Finger Lakes regional option for ready-made sheds.

https://www.woodtex.com/locations/ny/himrod/

I've done site prep and installation of a couple dozen of those sheds. They're well built, and the delivery guys know their stuff.

• Like 1