Meat or Antlers

wolc123

6 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I think someone should put up a real voting poll on this, where the only choices are meat or antlers.  FSW has said in the past that deer hunting is 95% plus all about antlers, while wolc123 somehow has his own statistics favoring meat hunters.  Having a poll with only the two choices would settle matters once and for all here in my opinion. 

Just not that black and white.  What if both are important and neither is more important?  WNYbuckhunter pretty much nailed it for me anyways.

• Like 2

Im in for the experience and adventure! I guess antlers AND meat come next.. Ill pass deer deer legal, and of size per criteria all season long.. Just to watch them.. and take it all in. Then one day randomly decide to take a doe or what not.. But If that Mature beast finally slips up, i am not passing him up.. So i guess in that case Antlers come before Meat.. But unfilled tags are not an issue with me.. and Thats just me.. 

I think someone should put up a real voting poll on this, where the only choices are meat or antlers.  FSW has said in the past that deer hunting is 95% plus all about antlers, while wolc123 somehow has his own statistics favoring meat hunters.  Having a poll with only the two choices would settle matters once and for all here in my opinion. 

Really it would'nt. Because people would not be honest. I know not one hunter that does not wake and walk in the woods without the hope of killing the biggest buck possible in their area. They may settle for less but their hope is the biggest. You ever hear many say they let a nice big 8-10 walk so they could try to get the little 4 coming in behind ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Just not that black and white.  What if both are important and neither is more important?  WNYbuckhunter pretty much nailed it for me anyways.

I can respect the other reasons why people hunt.  I know people who hunt just to get away from their nagging wives, but that isn't relevant to the original question in this thread.  I for one would like to see what is actually MOST important to deer hunters. The meat or the antlers, and where there is no in-between or any ifs ands or buts.  If one can't decide, then they shouldn't vote.  Just like during a presidential election, we either vote for the republican or democrat, and if we don't like either, we stay home and let the others decide.

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Both for me. Meat hunting is not really much of a challenge in my areas, but its fun. Is it to the point of I can go and guarantee that Ill put one on the ground at any time I choose? No, but give me a few days and I will. Hunting mature bucks (Ill define this as 3.5 y/o and up) is a whole different ballgame though, and that is where the challenge comes in for me, and the most satisfaction. There are many other aspects to hunting that I enjoy more than the actual kill. Simply asking "meat or antlers" is too black and white to give a real answer IMO.

This is worth repeating!  

Could not agree more.

• Like 1

I had an opportunity to take shots at 4 different 4 pointers last season but didn't . I was hoping for a nice doe or larger buck to come along and that didn't happen . Sure I would like to shoot a buck with a big rack but I am not obsessed with doing that . I will take a doe any day I can . 

I said meat. And I put the 1st doe in the freezer( usually 1st week of bow) my decision to hunt for a larger older buck is secondary.. so although there is more to it that the black and white meat/antler issue.  Meat is primary reason I hunt and if I was only issued 1 either sec tag it would most likely be filled by a big doe every year.  They fact multiple tags are issued let's Me hunt for antlers is secondary

If an 8 point buck was standing at the exact same position as an exact size doe both 20 yards slightly quartering away (bow hunting from an elevated blind(Sorry Biz-you’re out!), I shoot the doe every time and twice on Sunday. Here are MY reasons why which you can choose to believe or not:
1. Same amount of meat and I like venison
2. Less expense since I will not feel the need to mount it
3. I hunt with guys who would take greater pride than me is “hanging an 8 pointer” so it’s there for them to hunt.
4. If I took the buck I need to find a place in my house to display it (which I don’t have).
5. Can’t find the sheds come February if they are on my wall.

I hope you now all can admit that MY WAY is the ONLY way! Haha

It use to be for meat, but now more for older bigger racked bucks, but it also depends if I feel like doing the work like gutting & dragging at that particular time/day, if not I have watched some good bucks walk right by.  Now I guess it is just about being out there & not so much about the kill anymore. 

• Like 1

Neither. I hunt for the experience. Hearing the woods wake at sunrise, seeing the sunset over the mountains. The thrill of seeing movement through the trees and wondering what it is. Trying to stalk a wary deer whether mature buck, spike, crusty old doe or button. Practicing to improve my bow skills, woodmanship or turkey calls. Whether it ends with a full freezer or mount on the wall is immaterial, I would still be out there, which is good, because most days it ends with me going home "unsuccessful" but content.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

• Like 7

21 hours ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Antlers...Meat is just a bonus. Can get meat pretty much any day of the week. A big set of antlers... Not so much. Meat is the easy part of hunting.

Well if you hunt the area's I hunt in the Adirondacks it's hard hunting. Lucky to see a deer or 2 let alone with antlers. So being my family loves venison it's meat first. Maybe my opinion would be different If I sat in the woods or along a field where i'd see 20-30 deer a night and choose what I wanted but that's not feesible to me. There's horn hunters and there's meat hunters to each their own.

8 hours ago, steve863 said:

I can respect the other reasons why people hunt.  I know people who hunt just to get away from their nagging wives, but that isn't relevant to the original question in this thread.  I for one would like to see what is actually MOST important to deer hunters. The meat or the antlers, and where there is no in-between or any ifs ands or buts.  If one can't decide, then they shouldn't vote.  Just like during a presidential election, we either vote for the republican or democrat, and if we don't like either, we stay home and let the others decide.

How do I vote when I have both a regular season any sex tag and DMP's to fill?  I'm happy to fill both tags.

9 hours ago, steve863 said:

I am sorry about that Steve, this was my first attempt at a poll.  I intended to put up the boxes where folks could have  checked which of the two (meat or antlers) was the more important to them.   It is interesting how this has worked out though, with 16 of the respondents either unable to decide or unwilling to state which one is more important to them in public.   Of the 18 (slightly more than half) who were able to make up their minds,  12 picked meat and 6 picked antlers, So twice as many say meat is more important to them.   It looks like I did overestimated the percentage of those with whom meat is more important than antlers, however I was a lot closer than FSW who claimed 95 % cared more about antlers than meat.   

I did not count on so many not being able to make up their minds.  This was not a "Why do we hunt" question, it was simply: What is more important to you as a deer hunter: Meat, or Antlers.  "Why do we hunt" has been asked many times and is the subject for another thread.  I do not care why others hunt and I actually love the trophy hunters, including FSW.   The "substanderd" bucks  that they pass might just end up being what keeps my own family from having to eat more chicken on some years.      

Edited by wolc123

I am sorry about that Steve, this was my first attempt at a poll.  I intended to put up the boxes where folks could have  checked which of the two (meat or antlers) was the more important to them.   It is interesting how this has worked out though, with 16 of the respondents either unable to decide or unwilling to state which one is more important to them in public.   Of the 18 (slightly more than half) who were able to make up their minds,  12 picked meat and 6 picked antlers, So twice as many say meat is more important to them.   It looks like I did overestimated the percentage of those with whom meat is more important than antlers, however I was a lot closer than FSW who claimed 95 % cared more about antlers than meat.   

I did not count on so many not being able to make up their minds.  This was not a "Why do we hunt" question, it was simply: What is more important to you as a deer hunter: Meat, or Antlers.  "Why do we hunt" has been asked many times and is the subject for another thread.  I do not care why others hunt and I actually love the trophy hunters, including FSW.   The "substanderd" bucks  that they pass might just end up being what keeps my own family from having to eat more chicken on some years.      

Take me out of the undecided and put me in the antlers category.

I would rather eat beef and small bucks and does don’t give me the challenge I live for.

28 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Take me out of the undecided and put me in the antlers category.

I would rather eat beef and small bucks and does don’t give me the challenge I live for.

Will do.   If we get a few more pages, I will tally up the votes again.  There was a couple years when antlers were more important to me.  That was back before I learned how to cook venison (my mom always overcooks beef so she really destroys venison).   My wife refuses to purchase beef now, because she has been "spoiled" by the venison.   She says that watching the fat come out of ground beef in the frying pan grosses her out.          

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

Wrong Answer, If you could pay attention to posts you would have saw that the post i said 95% of hunters went for antlers was in the post that started....What drives Hunters.  That answer is still and always will be driven by antlers and 95% may be a low %         Never met a hunter waking up opening day with the hope of killing a nice baby fat spike or 4 pointer.

Hunting world has always been pushed by big antlers and hunters desire to get the biggest they can. Most always settle for less because they either dont have what it takes to kill a big deer or has time constraints or some other reason.  Then when they do settle for a smaller buck many make an excuse for killing it for some reason...

37 minutes ago, phade said:

We just keep going around and around on the train tracks laid into a circle here.

Meat or antlers is narrow-minded thinking - clearly evidenced by the results of this "poll."

And why is it that some very sharp people get sucked into these stupid threads is beyond me........

• Like 2

Wrong Answer, If you could pay attention to posts you would have saw that the post i said 95% of hunters went for antlers was in the post that started....What drives Hunters.  That answer is still and always will be driven by antlers and 95% may be a low %         Never met a hunter waking up opening day with the hope of killing a nice baby fat spike or 4 pointer.
Hunting world has always been pushed by big antlers and hunters desire to get the biggest they can. Most always settle for less because they either dont have what it takes to kill a big deer or has time constraints or some other reason.  Then when they do settle for a smaller buck many make an excuse for killing it for some reason...

I’m not going to make up stats but I will say for the most part you’re correct.

If wolk isn’t full of sh!t I think he is in the very small minority. Are there people out there that are happy killing a buck? Hell yes and good for them! I’m glad we live in a state that makes it very easy for them. That being said a very large percentage of the spike horn killers wish their bucks had a bigger rack! Why people choose to shoot small bucks is no worry to me, I want people to hunt for whatever reason makes them happy.

Hell to be honest I wish a lot of the kill the first buck they see hunters were a lot better hunters because it would get them out the woods sooner. I know that’s a selfish thing to say but it’s the truth.

3 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I’m not going to make up stats but I will say for the most part you’re correct.

If wolk isn’t full of sh!t I think he is in the very small minority. Are there people out there that are happy killing a buck? Hell yes and good for them! I’m glad we live in a state that makes it very easy for them. That being said a very large percentage of the spike horn killers wish their bucks had a bigger rack! Why people choose to shoot small bucks is no worry to me, I want people to hunt for whatever reason makes them happy.

Hell to be honest I wish a lot of the kill the first buck they see hunters were a lot better hunters because it would get them out the woods sooner. I know that’s a selfish thing to say but it’s the truth.

Yup one would think with all these guys that say meat is it they would be tagged out in a couple weeks max.  You will never get the truth out of them but we all know few hunters cant wait to pop that 3 inch spike.