Damn Mice !

I had mice in my lawn mower over the winter and cleaned out a big nest .

I decided to change the spark plug in my Honda Forman ATV and clean the battery terminals . Lo and behold there was a mouse nest back by the battery and there was some chewed wires . I broke out the electrical tape and did a minor repair . I placed some Moth Balls ( the male moths weren't happy ) in a few areas in and around locations on the ATV . I don't know if they will deter any mice or not . 

I looked up some electronic deterrants  and they appear to be pretty much useless . Has anyone had any luck on getting rid of outside mice ? I have the mower and the ATV stored in separate sheds . 

• Like 1

I had mice in my lawn mower over the winter and cleaned out a big nest .
I decided to change the spark plug in my Honda Forman ATV and clean the battery terminals . Lo and behold there was a mouse nest back by the battery and there was some chewed wires . I broke out the electrical tape and did a minor repair . I placed some Moth Balls ( the male moths weren't happy ) in a few areas in and around locations on the ATV . I don't know if they will deter any mice or not . 
I looked up some electronic deterrants  and they appear to be pretty much useless . Has anyone had any luck on getting rid of outside mice ? I have the mower and the ATV stored in separate sheds . 

All I can say is. We have 3 cats outside that we feed and they kill everything. Don’t eat it but I never have problems with mouse or pack rat destruction. They might get a bird once in awhile but nothing else makes it through the gauntlet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use dryer sheets, the fabric softener thingies. I get 'em from the dollar store for, well...a dollar. Tie them around the various cables and hoses and other parts of the tractors. Replace them every year or so. I haven't had a mouse problem with any of the machinery since going that route, and I don't even remember where or when I initially heard about it, but it's easy and it works.

• Like 3

The mice got to my Honda Foreman as well 3 years ago during winter, when i stored it at camp. They made a nest by the battery also and chewed most of the way through the positive  cable and the starter wires. Some electrical tape, a few minutes and a few choice words.. it was running again. As for a deterrent i have yet to find anything good. Around the house I use un cooked white rice. Theyll eat it, then need water after. The water makes the rice basically blow up in their stomachs and kills them. pretty safe way to do so and works great.

I just hope and pray each year. Im hoping this year isnt the same since my foreman was stored at camp again... fingers crossed

3 hours ago, rachunter said:

I made one and it worked great.The problem for me is i'm not up the fulltime and the smell from the dead mice was nasty.I also used a peanut butter jar instead of the roller.

I like this idea but imagine anti-freeze would need to be added in the winter months ...:drinks:

I too had mice in the shed and even in my boat chewing wires. Someone told me to use "BOUNCE" dryer sheets. I did, and have never had another wire chewed over the winter. Why it works, I don't know. But it works for me.

Edited by grampy
  • Like 1

When you setup that rolling mouse trap, and put the water in, rather than the peanut butter, add some bird seed. It will float on top of the water. The mice think its a bucket of seed and they fall right in. Youll be surprised how many you catch. Make sure to dump it about once a week or it will reek.

• Like 1

I've tried bounce dryer sheets in my camper.  Mice made nests out of them. 

For the past few yrs I've used pure peppermint extract. I put it in a garden sprayer add a little water, and spray the underside of the camper. Also spray my mowers, tractor.  Works very well. 

44 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

When you setup that rolling mouse trap, and put the water in, rather than the peanut butter, add some bird seed. It will float on top of the water. The mice think its a bucket of seed and they fall right in. Youll be surprised how many you catch. Make sure to dump it about once a week or it will reek.

I have done this near the garden and bird feeders and caught several chipmunks . Just a bucket of water , sunflower seeds and a ramp . 

• Like 1

I have used moth balls in my outboard motors for years & had no mice problems. Also my buddy uses the bucket with anti freeze , it kills them faster & it stops them from smelling, so he claims.  I believe that Grandma's used moth balls in their closets & draws years ago, to stop the mice from coming in.

Rat and mouse poison has kept the little critters at bay.

Years ago, mice packed the cooling fins of the engine under the cowling where it couldn't be seen. During mowing, smoke started curling out from under the hood, and fire cooked the engine. Since then, I have kept poison all over the barn. End of problem.

• Like 1