Damn I forgot how expensive boats are

WNYBuckHunter

Earlier this year my father had a major stroke. He has been in the hospital since early February recovering. a few weeks ago he talked to me about how he wants to start doing some things he has been putting off. First thing on the list, a boat. He was saying he wanted a pontoon boat so that he could take all of the kids and grandkids out on the lake, so he gave me a mission to find something. I told him that a pontoon boat wasnt the best way to go, as they suck to fish from, due to being a big sail in any wind, which was extremely hard to keep in place, and I would come up with something. Well, after some searching, I came up with a 22 foot Harris Super Deck. Its basically a Pontoon style layout in a fiberglass V hull. It has room for 12, and is a V8 I/O powered boat. Its the perfect setup for alot of people, fishing, cruising, tubing and water skiing. Its a heavier boat, so it does well in bigger water. The boat is in great shape with the exception of the upholstery, which we will be sending out in the off season to be redone.

Monday I went and picked it up and did all of the paperwork. I also bought all of the accessories we would need to be legal. There went a few hundred. Today I went to the DMV to register it and the trailer. There went another six hundred. Then I added it to my insurance policy I had for my ATV. Theres another four hundred. Geeze, I havent even put the damn thing in the water yet!

Its been years since I owned a bigger boat, and this week was my reminder that BOAT really does stand for Break Out Another Thousand. It will all be worth it though to see the old man happy after everything hes been through, and to watch the kids have fun.

boat1.jpg

boat2.jpg

• Like 15

I'm glad my Dad is more interested in jigsaw puzzles and yard work. Although he's expressed interest in in a wood-wrorking shop, which is what I used to do. As much as I love him, he would not do well in a shop full of machines that can sever body parts.

Do what you need to do for your Dad, my friend. You only get one.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

It’s cool and all but I’m just not sure if it’s as cool as my $25 4X8 trailer I scooped up. Just saying

That thing looks huge. Sweet boat

If you ever bring your ass out here, we will go out on it and do some fishing and have a few drinks.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, philoshop said:

I'm glad my Dad is more interested in jigsaw puzzles and yard work. Although he's expressed interest in in a wood-wrorking shop, which is what I used to do. As much as I love him, he would not do well in a shop full of machines that can sever body parts.

Do what you need to do for your Dad, my friend. You only get one.

Hes been talking about getting another boat for close to a decade, but just kept changing his mind about what he wanted and then put it off "until next year". Well, next year finally came lol. Although it should be a lesson, as now that the boat is finally here, hes not able to do anything with it except go for a ride in it. He cant tow it (cant drive), cant put it in the water, cant drive it, cant clean it.....heyyyy, now Im starting to catch on, he left all the work for me while he gets to cruise around with the wind in his hair! Son of a!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Really like deck boats . 

But my ‘64 Starcraft , in family since idk early ‘70s costs me little, I just can’t justify the $ for an upgrade . I don’t insure it, the trailer is not registered or inspected , the lights and horn don’t work ,  my binge pump is a coffee can, which doubles as the head at times.

Enjoy the boat, hope the best for your Dad, a co worker and good friend had a stroke around Christmas , he’s doing pretty darn well now, but has to retire .

803550DF-2101-472D-977D-36DE4DFB8E90.jpeg

• Like 4

Beautiful boat John. The memories made on her will be priceless! Enjoy every second with your Dad and family on the water. Those memories are worth so much more than any $. 

Since you will be getting so good at cleaning and caring for a boat. Wish you were closer!!! I could drop mine off on Monday, and pick it up, all spiffy on Friday! ...........grin.      :drinks:

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

Wait til' you fill the gas tank.^_^

Have fun.:drinks:

Oh yes, that 60 gallon tank is gonna be fun to fill. I gotta get one of those "Grass, Gas, or Ass. Nobody rides for free" stickers for it. :laugh:

Im not gonna be one of those suckers that waits and fills it up on the water though. Ill take it to the gas station on the way home and fill it so its good to go next time I take it out.

• Like 4

Oh yes, that 60 gallon tank is gonna be fun to fill. I gotta get one of those "Grass, Gas, or Ass. Nobody rides for free" stickers for it. :laugh:
Im not gonna be one of those suckers that waits and fills it up on the water though. Ill take it to the gas station on the way home and fill it so its good to go next time I take it out.

What if the gas comes out of someone’s ass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yes, that 60 gallon tank is gonna be fun to fill. I gotta get one of those "Grass, Gas, or Ass. Nobody rides for free" stickers for it.
Nice boat looks like it's gonna be a fun summer for you....do yourself a favor and fill up on your way to launch as close to launch as possible to lower the weight when towing...my 1500 gets 2 mpg more when it's empty lol....makes a difference going from 8-10 mpg towing lmao....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 4/26/2018 at 4:53 PM, WNYBuckHunter said:

Hes been talking about getting another boat for close to a decade, but just kept changing his mind about what he wanted and then put it off "until next year". Well, next year finally came lol. Although it should be a lesson, as now that the boat is finally here, hes not able to do anything with it except go for a ride in it. He cant tow it (cant drive), cant put it in the water, cant drive it, cant clean it.....heyyyy, now Im starting to catch on, he left all the work for me while he gets to cruise around with the wind in his hair! Son of a!

Some day you'll do the same thing to the little guy in your avatar. It's called life. Enjoy every single bit of it.

• Like 1