From the antlers or meat thread , do you like venison

rob-c

If its ground, or the simply the backstraps, or tenderloins. YES.  Steaks, are skeevy,  no matter how I cook them.  I live in a heavy pine area, with ZERO agricultural fields, I wonder if that affects the taste to that degree.  

I love it too, especially larger roasts that I either smoke on the grill or bake in the oven, depending on season.  For ground venison, using it for a Venison Bolognese sauce is my favorite.  I’ll use that sauce for a lasagna too, very very good!   Back straps are always good, I’ve grilled them, and also stuffed them with cheese and spinach, etc.   Not a huge fan of venison burgers, but my cousin can cook them up and they taste great! He adds whatever he finds in the kitchen, might be Ritz crackers, triscuits, bread crumbs....just depends, but they always turn out real good.  

I do like steaks too, just season lightly with Montreal seasoning and grill to MR.  We eat them with a horseradish sauce, on a good crusty roll...... one of my wife’s favorite meals.

I would hate the thought of shooting a deer and not utilizing the meat.  I do give away some of our venison to those that I know like it and don’t hunt.  But I mostly like to keep it for myself!

I love it and so does my wife and our two girls.  At this point, it takes about 250 pounds a year to satisfy them and they eat more every year.   I am very thankful to live in the meat-hunters paradise that NY is these days.   It would be a bit easier keeping the family fed if they would open up crossbow in the Southern zone on October 1st.   It looks like I will have to wait another year or more for that. 

As far as the taste of the venison compared to beef, we all like it better.  A lot depends on what the deer eats, how it is cooked, how it is aged after it is killed, and how it is killed.  If all that stuff is done right, It tastes a lot better than beef.   The secrets are : (white oak acorns, clover, or corn), (medium rare or rare), ( about a week on average at 33 - 43 degrees F), and very quickly.  If you screw any of that up, then I can understand why you would prefer beef.  

Back straps and tenderloin I enjoy very much, most of the rest gets ground or I take to Tony Costanza to turn into hotdogs, slim sticks and the like .

My deer are all ag feed, and dressed and handled properly, but no way it’s as good as a rib eye at a nice restaurant.

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I have several friends/people I know, that absolutely hate venison.  They give everything they harvest to family or donation to hunter feeding the hungry. 

They love the challenge of chasing deer around.  I will say 90% of them target the largest deer they've scouted. As horns mean more than meat. 

Myself.  I love venison. Certain cuts better than others.  Steaks, only if I wrap them in bacon and run them through the cubber.  Most of the time I brine/cure the 3 major cuts from the hind and make vastrami.  The back straps are butterflied and stuffed with different ingredients, or just fired in butter and garlic.  The inners and the eye of round get the same butter and garlic treatment.  They rest gets ground for burger.   My burger is 100% venison. I don't mix beef or pork with it, unless I'm making sausage or other snacks. I like my burger to taste like venison. If I want beef flavor I'll cook a beef burger. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, hugedogleg said:

Of course our deer will only field dress 75 to 120 pounds on average

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

You have to start using that Pa Girth tape Wolc use's.  Then...Like His, Your 75-120 pounders would go 180 plus and give ya 150lbs of meat.  Somehow that works for him.                                                                                                 Oh and only the choice cuts make it to freezer...Rest gets made into treats.    No way Venny is better than well raised and cared for Beef.

Edited by Four Season Whitetail's
  • Like 2

How in God's name can you even compare venison to beef?  Two completely different animals, living on entirely different diets and living under the most incredibly different conditions. (and venison is unfortunately handled much differently by most people than commercially slaughtered beef) 

Me, I love venison and will take my backstraps over any meal you could give me.  Do I enjoy beef, sure.  But venison is #1 in my book..................

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

No way Venny is better than well raised and cared for Beef.

A fine, corn-fed button buck would make you change your tune.  I wonder why you get so upset about folks killing them, but don't mind killing does after the rut, which might be carrying two.   At least the meat/antler poll shows that you are clearly out of touch with the vast majority here.  

2 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

A fine, corn-fed button buck would make you change your tune.  I wonder why you get so upset about folks killing them, but don't mind killing does after the rut, which might be carrying two.   At least the meat/antler poll shows that you are clearly out of touch with the vast majority here.  

Sorry...God wont let me eat babies with milk still dribbling from its lip's.  Good thing Ny will let hunters kills baby deer or you would be eating more chicken.

It does not bother me that guys like you have to kill babies. Speaks volumes on the hunter...Er i mean killer because thats sure not hunting anything.

Venison is good.  We don’t waste any.  But I will take a ribeye first any day of the week. I like a little fat in my grilled meat and that’s not so good with venison.  Now stew or cooked other ways, it rivals beef.  
Venison isn't getting grilled at our house. Backstrap gets fried. The rest gets ground into sausage or cut and made into jerky

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk