From the antlers or meat thread , do you like venison

rob-c

16 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

You have to start using that Pa Girth tape Wolc use's.  Then...Like His, Your 75-120 pounders would go 180 plus and give ya 150lbs of meat.  Somehow that works for him.                                                                                                 Oh and only the choice cuts make it to freezer...Rest gets made into treats.    No way Venny is better than well raised and cared for Beef.

I wholeheartedly disagree. A med rare and properly seasoned venison steak will beat the same cut of meat in Beef in my opinion. A lot goes into the taste of venison like how you care for the venison in the first place, which is a big reason why many people don't like it. Properly cared for and properly cooked venison will beat beef 99 times out of 100 for me.  The health benefits of venison over majority of the beef you get at the supermarket is astronomical too.  To each his own though. 

• Like 2

Sorry...God wont let me eat babies with milk still dribbling from its lip's.  Good thing Ny will let hunters kills baby deer or you would be eating more chicken.
It does not bother me that guys like you have to kill babies. Speaks volumes on the hunter...Er i mean killer because thats sure not hunting anything.
Some people hunt because they like to eat it. Some so they can hang a head on their wall. I'm not opposed to either. They are both hunting and I'm not going to badmouth someone for harvesting a deer legally. Hunters need to stick together. Libs are attacking us enough without us getting after each other.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Love it as do the wife and kids. At this point for me I’d say perfectly prepared beef filet and venison filet side by side is a tie. Ground venison is better than beef. I can’t stand the greasy beef anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Everyone keeps talking about the mishandling of venison causing people not to like it the same can be said for beef. For those that pick venison over beef how many have eaten properly raised, butchered and aged beef?

I would put my grass fed angus crosses over any store bought beef any day. Most store bought beef is forced feed “grains and corn to put fat on for market that doesn’t help the taste at all!

That being said when I’m butchering a deer for me I age it in our walk in or barn if temps are good and most people that eat it says it’s the best they have ever had.

• Like 1

I'll eat it, but I don't look forward to it like I would a beef, moose, or Axis steak, just too goaty tasting. It's decent in curries, stews, chili, or the occasional backstrap steak wrapped in bacon (If I'm eating a steak, I cook it before freezing, that way it doesn't acquire the bloody taste venison sometimes gets in the freezer). Ground meat I mix 50/50 with fatty ground beef. Most deer or goose I shoot winds up in sausage or keilbasi.

Edited by Uncle Nicky
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

That being said when I’m butchering a deer for me I age it in our walk in or barn if temps are good and most people that eat it says it’s the best they have ever had.

I agree with you on that part.  Many on this site have no clue how much better venison can be if it is properly aged.   Processing before rigor mortis has broken down is about tied with over-cooking for the main reason why folks don't like venison.  

Everybody has different tastes. it sounds like we need a poll to find out who likes venison better than beef.  So far it looks like about a 50:50 split.   There does seem to be a correlation between the "antlers first" guys and favoring beef.   

46 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Everyone keeps talking about the mishandling of venison causing people not to like it the same can be said for beef. For those that pick venison over beef how many have eaten properly raised, butchered and aged beef?

I would put my grass fed angus crosses over any store bought beef any day. Most store bought beef is forced feed “grains and corn to put fat on for market that doesn’t help the taste at all!

When beef is grass fed and allowed to eat a more varied diet than a lot of the corn finished beef here it can be tough for me to choose. I have had beef raised by my family and it was leaps and bounds better than store bought. I've always liked a more natural flavor in meat which is probably why Lamb is tied for first place for me. 

So what are you all comparing venison to? There are so many different meat (wild or domestic) that is so much better than venison. Probably the best meat I have ever had was domestic rabbit. It puts that old wild mutton to shame (for me). I had moose meat that was spectacular. And of course professionally raised and prepared beef is darn hard to beat and worth every penny. For me and my family, venison is acceptable but nothing to rave about.

• Like 2

def love venison.  Not much better than a backstrap cooked fast and crust the outside a bit, then smother in a butter and onions roux.  I dont really compare venison to beef , its just totally different to me.  I hate when venison is made and people say..... "you cant even tell its venison".  I want it to taste a little wild and not like beef, or i would just buy beef.  Although it does take the place of beef for me for the most part. Every season i try to fill the freezer so i dont need to buy any unless i want it for something different.   

• Like 2

Ill take a venison steak over a beef steak any day . Even if they tasted the same ,i love the connection i have with the venison steak that i put the time and hard work into getting . Any joe blow can order a steak or buy one from the supermarket . 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, wolc123 said:

button buck  

I'm not looking to start an argument with you. but what's the difference if it's a 61/2 month old button buck or a doe? I've eaten both and they taste the same "tender"

I like venison.I hate when i'm talking to someone and they say what does venison taste like,venison is venison beef is beef.

oh and i hope i "catch a turkey" this week:scare:

Edited by rachunter
Correction

I’m a big fan of venison partly because it’s a unique, “free” versatile meat that allows me another reason why all my time spent hunting is justified.
“I need to go, Mrs Crappy. The boys love venison!”

Never was a big steak fan.

9 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

How in God's name can you even compare venison to beef?  Two completely different animals, living on entirely different diets and living under the most incredibly different conditions. (and venison is unfortunately handled much differently by most people than commercially slaughtered beef) 

Me, I love venison and will take my backstraps over any meal you could give me.  Do I enjoy beef, sure.  But venison is #1 in my book..................

Well if they didn’t they couldn’t argue their opinions on taste lol. 

After looking at the what’s for dinner thread I realize not everyone has the same taste as to what’s good. 

I’m with you Larry, and I find it a bit odd guys don’t like venison and are hunting but at least someone gets their meat out of the deal. 

4 minutes ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

We depend on the meat. Cut it up ourselves to what we want, and use every pound off the carcess.  Cook well to kill the bacteria, pathogens and prions, same as any other meat. Our homemade sausage is delicious. Pulled venison is heaven. 

Re the pulled venison. Roast , crock pot , beef bullion , root beer ? I made it once with a recipe someone on here post. Since can’t relocate it.  It was downright awesome too. 

• Like 1