Recommendations on a tandem or single fishing kayak

G-Man

I used to build kayaks and canoes. They're hard to fish from unless you're very familiar with the waters. Casting and whatnot is no problem, you just can't see very much from them.

One of the canoes I used to build was a single-seater just over 11 feet long and weighed about 20 pounds. I sold a bunch of them to people who carried them out to remote farm ponds they were already familiar with. I don't think anything is more fun than catching a bunch of big bluegills or perch from a small canoe. Those little guys will actually drag you around the pond for a while. :drinks:

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, philoshop said:

I used to build kayaks and canoes. They're hard to fish from unless you're very familiar with the waters. Casting and whatnot is no problem, you just can't see very much from them.

One of the canoes I used to build was a single-seater just over 11 feet long and weighed about 20 pounds. I sold a bunch of them to people who carried them out to remote farm ponds they were already familiar with. I don't think anything is more fun than catching a bunch of big bluegills or perch from a small canoe. Those little guys will actually drag you around the pond for a while. :drinks:

Yes this will just be used on Cuba, and case lake and couple of rivers for float trip. Both lakes are very familiar and 5 min from home

When you get your popper backcast from a flyrod picked up  by a hefty smallmouth who spins you and your boat around, you're doing alright. :taunt: Lots of fun. I still have one of those small canoes if anyone is interested. It fell from it's ceiling hooks and has a small repairable hole in the hull. I'm open to offers.

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

Yes this will just be used on Cuba, and case lake and couple of rivers for float trip. Both lakes are very familiar and 5 min from home

I used to fish Case lake as kid with my dad , we used a canoe and we would hammer the bass at the end where the little creek empties in.  We had a camp just up the road on townline road ,spent many hours in that creek and lake growing up.

18 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I used to fish Case lake as kid with my dad , we used a canoe and we would hammer the bass at the end where the little creek empties in.  We had a camp just up the road on townline road ,spent many hours in that creek and lake growing up.

My dad and I fished Case and Harwood quite a bit too. There are some abnormally large snapping turtles in both those lakes!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wolc123 said:

There is some dandy smallmouths in Cuba lake.  I had a big one pull me around in my canoe a little bit about 6 years ago.  Try a weedless bass jig with a plastic craw trailer in the middle of some of those big weedbeds.   

The northern are where it's at now..40in plus all the time in electro-shock surveys

4 hours ago, philoshop said:

When you get your popper backcast from a flyrod picked up  by a hefty smallmouth who spins you and your boat around, you're doing alright. :taunt: Lots of fun. I still have one of those small canoes if anyone is interested. It fell from it's ceiling hooks and has a small repairable hole in the hull. I'm open to offers.

Do you have a picture of that canoe?  Sounds like a fun toy! 

I have a tandem kayak, its not a sit on top. I consider it an entry level kayak,  Perception Escapade.   Very stable, but definitely paddles like a cruise ship ....I want a canoe in the more sooner, than later future.  63 lbs....

Yes, I paddle with the prosthetic arm...

20170828_142000.jpg

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Otto said:

Do you have a picture of that canoe?  Sounds like a fun toy! 

I do have several pics but nothing on my current computer. And I no longer have any way to easily get photos onto the computer and then on to the internet. I'll see if my brother and sister-in-law can help. Take some photos with the smart-phone and then e-mail them to me... that sort of thing.

It's a sweet little boat. Cove-and-bead strip built, because that's what I did. A rather artistic variety of wood strips with a hand-built caned seat and backrest. Use a kayak paddle for propulsion. If I'm not mistaken it was headed to Martha Stewart just before she ended up in prison. I had built one for her brother. He and I were friends and hunting/hiking buddies, and I think he was going to give it to her as a gift....Anyway...

16 hours ago, G-Man said:

I have a few canoes and kayaks.  But am looking for a single or tandem fishing model and gf wants to go with so leaning toward tandem ..any one have any experience with sit on top models they would recommend? 

abaco 13.5 tandem sit-on-top kayak

20180428_072436.jpg

Dunnams in Bradford has a really decent selection of a bunch of different models. And from my research best price around.

I have a sit on top 14 foot that I built a seat behind me that my 5 yr old daughter rides in wife and boy both have 8 foot sit ins. We fish case Cuba lime and Harwood lakes along with the river alot during the summer as the big boat won't go in anywhere local so it gives me my weekday fix. Lol highly recommend fishing lime lake tons of nice fish in there buddy landed a real nice tiger musky in his yak last year.

Good luck with your research

PS. Just got back from trip down to Cuba lake launch area few guys fishing crappie haven't showed yet. Amish were there too gotta be soon

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, stoneam2006 said:

Dunnams in Bradford has a really decent selection of a bunch of different models. And from my research best price around.

I have a sit on top 14 foot that I built a seat behind me that my 5 yr old daughter rides in wife and boy both have 8 foot sit ins. We fish case Cuba lime and Harwood lakes along with the river alot during the summer as the big boat won't go in anywhere local so it gives me my weekday fix. Lol highly recommend fishing lime lake tons of nice fish in there buddy landed a real nice tiger musky in his yak last year.

Good luck with your research

PS. Just got back from trip down to Cuba lake launch area few guys fishing crappie haven't showed yet. Amish were there too gotta be soon

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Crappie just started in my pond..lake should be in about a week of it follows normal routine

• Like 1