Switching hands

Jeremy K

I've known for a long time that i'm left eye dominant and shooting right handed . I've kind of convinced myself i should give shooting a left handed bow a try . The time involved is one thing but the money to switch over just to try it is what i'm not keen on . I've been looking at the classified section for a cheap one to give it a try . I guess my dad had the mindset that no son of his was gonna be a lefty , he sent me on the T ball field with a right handed mit as a kid ,i remember having to take my mit off to throw the ball ,it could be one reason a despise the sport of baseball to this day.  

Anyone made the switch or try it out ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

I've known for a long time that i'm left eye dominant and shooting right handed . I've kind of convinced myself i should give shooting a left handed bow a try . The time involved is one thing but the money to switch over just to try it is what i'm not keen on . I've been looking at the classified section for a cheap one to give it a try . I guess my dad had the mindset that no son of his was gonna be a lefty , he sent me on the T ball field with a right handed mit as a kid ,i remember having to take my mit off to throw the ball ,it could be one reason a despise the sport of baseball to this day.  

Anyone made the switch or try it out ?

Left handed people are that way cause thy were potty trained wrong,LOL.

Heard it on Rush Limbaugh,  must be true

• Like 1

As a lifelong lefty, I don’t have any advice for you on switching over.  I cant imagine having to go from LH to RH, but I know a few people that have done it.

I would try some of the area bow shops to see if you can trial run a left handed bow.  They may have a couple of LH bows just sitting there.  

• Like 1

I went somewhere i should never be allowed to go unsupervised , i found a 2010 Elite GT500 (left handed)and got a smoking deal on it . I have everything i need to get this bow shooting without spending anymore money . If i choose not to go that route ,i know a guy at work who is looking for a left handed bow ,i could easily get my money back and be done with that venture.

I give you credit.  I can’t imagine trying to relearn shooting with my nondominant side.   Did you have issues shooting righty and closing the left eye?  I know one guy that shoots righty with left. Eye dominance that missed some Deer claiming he would open his dominant eye without thinking.  That would stink but I would think closing your eye is easier than trying to shoot with your non dominant side.  Plus from what I have seen, you seem to pretty darn good shooting like you do now. 

I should have been shooting left handed my whole life but getting all my equipment as a kid second hand from a house full of right handed shooters forced me to shoot right handed . I want to know how well I could shoot aiming with my dominant eye and possibly shooting with both eyes open.

Not much help here with the switch. But I am left eye dominant and shoot right handed as well..  it took me a while but i have "trained "my  eyes so i can focus out of either eye and shoot with both eyes open.. it's kind of nice as I came up shooting guns left handed until I was able to switch but now I am ambidexteyerous....lol

I am in that same boat of righty and left eye dominant.   But I am just used to shooting that way.  My rifles all have scopes and I just have adapted for bow and close my left eye before I shoot.  I do struggle the most with pistols.  That's why I have a Judge and shoot buckshot.  Lol

• Like 1

My nephew was shooting rt handed left eye dominant.  Finally got him to try left and his shooting improved 100% . Instead of missing the target about half the time he was hitting it every time. Carried over hockey he is now a top forward with crazy stick skills.. having shot the wrong way having to be just like dad.. he's in a much better skill level now 

3 hours ago, sodfather said:

I’m the same right handed left eye dominant. I’ve closed the left eye since I was 14. Don’t ever see me shooting anything any other way 

Good luck let us know how it goes 

Whats your draw length ? I'm sure we'll get together and shoot at least once this year . I'll let you give her a rip.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Whats your draw length ? I'm sure we'll get together and shoot at least once this year . I'll let you give her a rip.

28.5 but I’m not sure if pounds with my left , but I’d like to give it a try to see how my good eye works

I am right handed and left eye dominant. I have always shot left handed. Felt natural from the beginning but did need to work on strengthening and dexterity in my left hand. I tried to shoot my son's right handed how once with left eye closed. I think my brain rebooted. Not doing that again.

Whatever works for you.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

it's weird i've accepted shooting right handed with my left eye dominance.  i'm fairly ambidextrous but definitely right handed. not switching. it'd be too weird. probably help with wing shooting or trad archery where you're not so aiming so much as pointing. otherwise i don't see the point.

I have to wonder just how important the dominant eye thing really is when doing structured things that have already been learned "wrong". I mean, unless you are shooting pure instinctive, every element of your shooting has been taught the necessary muscle memory to the point where it is now cemented into your form and execution of each shot. At least that is how I would think it would be. I know that at this stage of my shooting, trying to change hands could be disastrous even if I was using the wrong dominant eye. I would risk losing everything I learned over the years and maybe screwing up both styles.

However I do understand how that correction would make an interesting experiment just to see if it does have any effect.

Those nuns are to blame for my poor left-handed hand writing. Then I picked up left handed golf clubs out of the bin at Woolworth's...my game is still questionable. I shot rifles at an early age made for right-handed folks....man, am I a messed up dude...I COULD'VE BEEN A CONDENTA...I COULD'VE BEEN A CONTENDA....sonofabee....