Campfire at home?

Bionic

5 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

First one of the year at the house for us. Burning all the dead fall from the winter. 242eea9e1837496aa967d24a7746aaf3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is the story here as well! Still cleaning up from the 3' blizzard,  and the nasty thunderstorm from a few weeks ago.

• 2 months later...
On 4/29/2018 at 7:28 PM, Bionic said:

That pic was taken in Lily Bay State Park, on the shore of Moosehead Lake, way up in Maine.   ...

Hell, that's not way up in Maine.  Allagash is way up in Maine.  :)

Just kidding.  I love Moosehead (although it does feel almost "suburban" compared to northern Maine).  

This is cheating - this is not my setup, although I did partake of that meal.  Pic taken on the Allagash River, a few miles south of the Canadian border.  We did the Waterway and didn't see a house or an airplane for 7 days.  And very few humans (a few moose, though, about two dozen Bald Eagles, and some nice brook trout).  

I could go there and never return.  If I could figure out how to deal with the winters...

P1000403.JPG

Edited by jmark
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, jmark said:

Hell, that's not way up in Maine.  Allagash is way up in Maine.  :)

Just kidding.  I love Moosehead (although it does feel almost "suburban" compared to northern Maine).  

This is cheating - this is not my setup, although I did partake of that meal.  Pic taken on the Allagash River, a few miles south of the Canadian border.  We did the Waterway and didn't see a house or an airplane for 7 days.  And very few humans (a few moose, though, about two dozen Bald Eagles, and some nice brook trout).  

I could go there and never return.  If I could figure out how to deal with the winters...

P1000403.JPG

I hear you on that, I am so used to folks visiting wells, ogonquit(not sure of spelling), and places barely into Maine, that I always say way up.  I have only been as hogh up as the northern tip of Baxter to Matagamin(again spelling lol).  Drove through Patten but thats as far north for me.  I too absolutely love it up there, I will retire up there for sure. I love the logging roads above moosehead, I did get up to a point where I saw an Allagash sign, but if I remember correctly you could not drive near it, might have misunderstood that though, been quite a few years since that spot.  

I would love to do an allagash trip down the river though, my girlfriend does not like the idea of tenting in the middle of no where though.  Someday :-)

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bionic said:

I hear you on that, I am so used to folks visiting wells, ogonquit(not sure of spelling), and places barely into Maine, that I always say way up.  I have only been as hogh up as the northern tip of Baxter to Matagamin(again spelling lol).  Drove through Patten but thats as far north for me.  I too absolutely love it up there, I will retire up there for sure. I love the logging roads above moosehead, I did get up to a point where I saw an Allagash sign, but if I remember correctly you could not drive near it, might have misunderstood that though, been quite a few years since that spot.  

I know.  We had a house on Rockport Harbor years ago - before they raised the taxes thru the roof on waterfront property.  I never cared for the Wells area.  The Boothbays are ok, if you kayak.  But it's all a bit touristy.  Mid-coast has become just as bad.  But yeah, most people, when you say "Maine", think of those areas, or Bar Harbor (eeek!).  I recall many years ago, stopping at the (now gone) DeLorme map store in Yarmouth.  Picked up a huge map of Maine, dining room table size.  Got it home and spread it out (on the dining room table) and had this "wow" moment... the sliver of Maine I knew at the time was a tiny part of the state.  

There's not much there up in "The County".  The logging roads that we went on were pretty rough.  And yeah, there are not that many places where you can drive near the Allagash Waterway except on a few access roads, mostly.  It is protected under federal and state law, and has a buffer zone.  To get on the Waterway, you have to register your trip with the Rangers.  But canoeing that waterway (river and lakes) is a magnificent experience.  Did it with my son when he was only 11.  He wasn't much use as a bow-man - I recall one morning one of our group was asking "who's paddle is this?  Miles, is this your paddle?" and someone piped up, "Does it look like it's never been used?"  A good laugh.  But I assure you he will never forget that trip.

P1000277.JPG

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jmark said:

I know.  We had a house on Rockport Harbor years ago - before they raised the taxes thru the roof on waterfront property.  I never cared for the Wells area.  The Boothbays are ok, if you kayak.  But it's all a bit touristy.  Mid-coast has become just as bad.  But yeah, most people, when you say "Maine", think of those areas, or Bar Harbor (eeek!).  I recall many years ago, stopping at the (now gone) DeLorme map store in Yarmouth.  Picked up a huge map of Maine, dining room table size.  Got it home and spread it out (on the dining room table) and had this "wow" moment... the sliver of Maine I knew at the time was a tiny part of the state.  

There's not much there up in "The County".  The logging roads that we went on were pretty rough.  And yeah, there are not that many places where you can drive near the Allagash Waterway except on a few access roads, mostly.  It is protected under federal and state law, and has a buffer zone.  To get on the Waterway, you have to register your trip with the Rangers.  But canoeing that waterway (river and lakes) is a magnificent experience.  Did it with my son when he was only 11.  He wasn't much use as a bow-man - I recall one morning one of our group was asking "who's paddle is this?  Miles, is this your paddle?" and someone piped up, "Does it look like it's never been used?"  A good laugh.  But I assure you he will never forget that trip.

P1000277.JPG

Good stuff, love hearing info from folks who know that area!  I have accessed the NMW through Telos gate a few times,  also 20 mile, and Caribou checkpoints.  I am getting excited, we head back up on the 27th.  Don't hesitate to post more pics lol

13 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

How the heck did I miss this thread?!  

When my ex's store-bought pit finally gave out, I built one.  I've spent countless nights out back enjoying a fire and cold brew.  Best $200 I ever spent.

20180603_201345.jpg

Well start posting, and catch up....

26 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

How the heck did I miss this thread?!  

When my ex's store-bought pit finally gave out, I built one.  I've spent countless nights out back enjoying a fire and cold brew.  Best $200 I ever spent.

20180603_201345.jpg

I just put in a small patio.  Gotta put up a little pergola style roof next.  But am also gonna put in a fire pit. This looks like the way to go.  Nice. 

51 minutes ago, jmark said:

P1000277.JPG

Ive been in there, its fantastic! My buddy drew a moose tag and I went with him. I caught brookies in every little ditch I came across and saw more moose than I could count

• Like 1

When we bought our new place this past winter, the previous owner left one of those outdoor fireplace things up by the pond. My girlfriend loves it, but I think Im going to accidentally run it over with the tractor. Its like the one pictured, but round. I want to replace it with an actual stone fire pit. We have tons of great rocks on the property to use to build stuff like that, I just havent gotten to it, as Ive been busy this summer.

detail4 CP070.jpg

3 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I just put in a small patio.  Gotta put up a little pergola style roof next.  But am also gonna put in a fire pit. This looks like the way to go.  Nice. 

Easy weekend afternoon project.  Buy good blocks, dig a 6" deep, round hole, fill with sand/gravel/stone, tamper it down hard, level and lay blocks.  No need for mortar or air gaps.

20160609_093948-1.jpg

20160610_204656-1.jpg

Edited by Jdubs
forget the tampering part...d'oh!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I recommend bricks or stone meant for fires or lining the pit in fire brick or a metal ring even. I did the round pit but didn’t use fire rated stuff and it disintegrated in about a year or two of good fires. 

We have had a few fires this year, just haven’t taken pics. Been a decent summer until the humidity cranked up recently. 

Man am I sad we aren’t going to Maine this year, sighhhhhh. Instead when I miss it I scan the realtor app for land and camps/houses for sale up there.