!@&#%^!!@&&

Grizz1219

Time for a rant..

First, I will say some of the BEST hunters/sportsmen I know are Turkey hunters… That being said… Some of the most un-sportsmen like/asshole, douche nozzle hunters I’ve had the misfortune of dealing with are also turkey hunters… Case in point… Opening day in NY this morning, I get to my spot extra early, as I am loading up at the truck, doors open, bed light on, a truck pull up 60 – 70 yards from me… Thinking “Hunter or farm employee” (the farm runs 24/7 feels like, someone always there)… I make sure to stay at the truck, lights on for a few minutes so they see me… Pack up and head in… Set up, in my spot, not moving, decoys out and it is 4:40am…. LOT’s of time to relax, enjoy the day awake.. 5:03am first gobble.. Right where I know they roost… I can see the trees… 200 yds away… 5:10 a lot more gobbling from all around me… I’m smiling… Say’s shooting light is 5:20am, but it is over cast… I’m thinking fly down will be around 5:40… just before 5:30am, up on the hill I hear “BOOOM!” the roost comes alive with flying birds… I’m thinking “Did that ass hat just shoot a bird in the tree?” I can’t prove it but I can tell you, no birds were on the ground in my honest opinion… Trying to remain calm… not ruin opening morning further… I wait 5 minutes and start calling.. I look across the field and see a bird.. Grab the bino’s, oooooh, a long beard… Nice!! He works his way around the tree island, comes around the corner and is gobbling at me, slowly working his way closer… I’m thinking “I’m letting that idiot out of my head, this is going to be awesome”… The bird gets to about 100yds… stops strutting and starts walking to my right… I’m thinking “WTF, why is he leaving?” I keep calling… now he is fast walking so I stop… look to my left…. YUP!!! Ass hat douche nozzle is now walking away from me… I can feel my BP rising, blood is rushing to my head… I keep thinking “He’s not worth jail time”… As he tops the hill I decide to do an assembly call.. Figuring Ass hat is gone, this might work… I get 7-8 yelps into it and a bird ROARS at me from below the hill ass hat just walked by.. I think “Holy hell, that bird is a ROCKER and just walked right by ass hat!!! He’s coming!!! As I go to hit the call again, “BOOOM!”.. Ass hat, who never once called and was walking not 2 minutes prior leans over the edge and shoots the bird coming to me… I’m honestly contemplating beating the crap out of this loser, jail time be damned, I bet I am found not guilty.. I mean WTSF!!! In less than 30 minutes of legal opening day time all this has happened.. The morning ended better. I ended up calling 4 long beards and a “pack” of jakes in, 1 big long beard got to 50, Red dot on his head, safety off...  they were not impressed with my Jake decoy and stayed at 50.. My 3 ½” can easily handle that shot.. I just chose to make the game more fun, it’s not freezer filling, it’s the game.. So I let him stroll away for me to hunt another day.. Hopefully sans ass hat douche nozzles…  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It sounds like you didn't have exclusive rights to this property.  So lets say another hunter was set up a few hundred yards away from you and was calling and a Boone & Crockett turkey waddles by you on his way towards the other hunter.  Would you shoot at that bird or let him walk towards the other hunter?

7 minutes ago, steve863 said:

It sounds like you didn't have exclusive rights to this property.  So lets say another hunter was set up a few hundred yards away from you and was calling and a Boone & Crockett turkey waddles by you on his way towards the other hunter.  Would you shoot at that bird or let him walk towards the other hunter?

For me... Turkey hunting is about the game.. Calling in the Tom... Walking back over a hill after screwing up another hunters hunt, hearing a bird answer him and leaning over a ledge shooting the Tom is not what I call ethical or sportsmen like.. You can read this how ever you want... After he or his partner allegedly shot a bird in a tree, then the above... I'm thinking anyone could easily see, they aren't the "cream of the crop" in terms of sportsmanship..  I'm all for guys shooting birds, as stated, I could have ended my hunt tagging a Tom.. I've passed on shooting Toms that I've walked into because I wasn't patient enough when they were coming in quiet.. Maybe my personal rules don't jive with others, no ones rules but mine, I live by them and don't expect others to.. But common courtesy should be at the top of everyone's list... but read it how you see fit... I just posted what happened to me this morning and ranting.. 

2 minutes ago, helmut in the bush said:

Look at the bright side, he didn't seek in and shoot your decoy, or you.

He shoots my Avian X decoys he would get a beating!!! LOL  And safety is always priority... And yes, no one got hurt... first and foremost.. He got close... 60 yds... I was focused on the Tom till I turned and saw him walking away..

6 minutes ago, Grizz1219 said:

For me... Turkey hunting is about the game.. Calling in the Tom... Walking back over a hill after screwing up another hunters hunt, hearing a bird answer him and leaning over a ledge shooting the Tom is not what I call ethical or sportsmen like.. You can read this how ever you want... After he or his partner allegedly shot a bird in a tree, then the above... I'm thinking anyone could easily see, they aren't the "cream of the crop" in terms of sportsmanship..  I'm all for guys shooting birds, as stated, I could have ended my hunt tagging a Tom.. I've passed on shooting Toms that I've walked into because I wasn't patient enough when they were coming in quiet.. Maybe my personal rules don't jive with others, no ones rules but mine, I live by them and don't expect others to.. But common courtesy should be at the top of everyone's list... but read it how you see fit... I just posted what happened to me this morning and ranting.. 

Does suck, but a lot of what if's can be played out with different outcomes. It could have been both of their first turkey hunts. Birds do get down at different times. Still sounds like before legal though. Take the illegality out of  it and it boils down to personal ethics and sportsmanship. We all know not everyone's are the same. I know guys that won't shoot ducks when on the water or grouse on the ground. I know other guys that do all the time.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Does suck, but a lot of what if's can be played out with different outcomes. It could have been both of their first turkey hunts. Birds do get down at different times. Still sounds like before legal though. Take the illegality out of  it and it boils down to personal ethics and sportsmanship. We all know not everyone's are the same. I know guys that won't shoot ducks when on the water or grouse on the ground. I know other guys that do all the time.  

True... But, I did write, in a way,  this was an ethics/sportsmen issue, not saying laws were broken.. Just saying it was basically just rude and sad that hunters are reduced to this to shoot a turkey... but if they are happy with the hunt, so be it.. 

Grizz - you showed good restraint . If you had confronted the other guy , you probably would have gotten your ass kicked . :taunt:

I havn't Turkey hunted in several years as I had gotten disappointed with other hunters . I am waiting until tomorrow am to go out on Private Property in Geneseo . In the past I had experienced that turkey hunters would take off from work opening day and then hunt the weekends . So hopefully no one or very few will be out tomorrow . 

1 hour ago, Grizz1219 said:

True... But, I did write, in a way,  this was an ethics/sportsmen issue, not saying laws were broken.. Just saying it was basically just rude and sad that hunters are reduced to this to shoot a turkey... but if they are happy with the hunt, so be it.. 

I know you did. it is a two sided coin in regards to them. They are either dicks or jutt do't know any better becasue they were never taught. Any idea how old they were? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Grizz1219 said:

Time for a rant..

First, I will say some of the BEST hunters/sportsmen I know are Turkey hunters… That being said… Some of the most un-sportsmen like/asshole, douche nozzle hunters I’ve had the misfortune of dealing with are also turkey hunters… Case in point… Opening day in NY this morning, I get to my spot extra early, as I am loading up at the truck, doors open, bed light on, a truck pull up 60 – 70 yards from me… Thinking “Hunter or farm employee” (the farm runs 24/7 feels like, someone always there)… I make sure to stay at the truck, lights on for a few minutes so they see me… Pack up and head in… Set up, in my spot, not moving, decoys out and it is 4:40am…. LOT’s of time to relax, enjoy the day awake.. 5:03am first gobble.. Right where I know they roost… I can see the trees… 200 yds away… 5:10 a lot more gobbling from all around me… I’m smiling… Say’s shooting light is 5:20am, but it is over cast… I’m thinking fly down will be around 5:40… just before 5:30am, up on the hill I hear “BOOOM!” the roost comes alive with flying birds… I’m thinking “Did that ass hat just shoot a bird in the tree?” I can’t prove it but I can tell you, no birds were on the ground in my honest opinion… Trying to remain calm… not ruin opening morning further… I wait 5 minutes and start calling.. I look across the field and see a bird.. Grab the bino’s, oooooh, a long beard… Nice!! He works his way around the tree island, comes around the corner and is gobbling at me, slowly working his way closer… I’m thinking “I’m letting that idiot out of my head, this is going to be awesome”… The bird gets to about 100yds… stops strutting and starts walking to my right… I’m thinking “WTF, why is he leaving?” I keep calling… now he is fast walking so I stop… look to my left…. YUP!!! Ass hat douche nozzle is now walking away from me… I can feel my BP rising, blood is rushing to my head… I keep thinking “He’s not worth jail time”… As he tops the hill I decide to do an assembly call.. Figuring Ass hat is gone, this might work… I get 7-8 yelps into it and a bird ROARS at me from below the hill ass hat just walked by.. I think “Holy hell, that bird is a ROCKER and just walked right by ass hat!!! He’s coming!!! As I go to hit the call again, “BOOOM!”.. Ass hat, who never once called and was walking not 2 minutes prior leans over the edge and shoots the bird coming to me… I’m honestly contemplating beating the crap out of this loser, jail time be damned, I bet I am found not guilty.. I mean WTSF!!! In less than 30 minutes of legal opening day time all this has happened.. The morning ended better. I ended up calling 4 long beards and a “pack” of jakes in, 1 big long beard got to 50, Red dot on his head, safety off...  they were not impressed with my Jake decoy and stayed at 50.. My 3 ½” can easily handle that shot.. I just chose to make the game more fun, it’s not freezer filling, it’s the game.. So I let him stroll away for me to hunt another day.. Hopefully sans ass hat douche nozzles…  

WOW! This makes my morning look like candy apples.

It's not illegal to shoot a bird off the roost on NYS. Is it crappy way of filling a tag, IMO yes it is.

Like mentioned, do you have exclusive rights to the land? Are you sure he knew where you were? I get he/she/it had to know you were on the property, but that doesn't mean everyone knows where everyone else is. In my humble opinion, hunting private land without exclusive rights and you don't know or have contact with the other hunters is no different then hunting public land.

Edited by Rob...
spelling

17 hours ago, Rob... said:

WOW! This makes my morning look like candy apples.

It's not illegal to shoot a bird off the roost on NYS. Is it crappy way of filling a tag, IMO yes it is.

Like mentioned, do you have exclusive rights to the land? Are you sure he knew where you were? I get he/she/it had to know you were on the property, but that doesn't mean everyone knows where everyone else is. In my humble opinion, hunting private land without exclusive rights and you don't know or have contact with the other hunters is no different then hunting public land.

When hew bumped the LB coming into my set he knew, he was 60 yards from me when I saw him walking away... How close did he get to me and my decoys, only he knows.. I don't fault him for getting close (Well, a bit for getting THAT close), but he knew that birds was coming to my calling and shooting it as it passed him is kinda sh_tty in my book.. Oh, and I walked to the spot he killed it today, feathers proved where he shot it is right where I thought.. As stated, I know no laws were broken... but from what I've heard on the farm, they told people they were in a completely different field.. so they know they aren't ethical hunters.. and are already lying... I didn't correct the story they are fabricating.. Father and older son duo... I see where the kid got his ethics from... 

22 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I know you did. it is a two sided coin in regards to them. They are either dicks or jutt do't know any better becasue they were never taught. Any idea how old they were? 

Father (late 50's - early 60's) and son (In his 30's).... Met the brother of the father today... And no, I didn't tell them the story... I'll post my rant here, not trying to smear anyones name.. they didn't break any laws, just aren't very ethical hunters in my book... again.. MY book... 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Storm914 said:

Take a deep breath and except the  fact that dealing with other hunters on land you don't have exclusive rights to is part of the game .

Oh.. no worries.. after they left I had a GREAT morning... worked a few long beards away from hens... let a nice LB walk at 50 yds... was another awesome morning in the woods after that terrible 30 minutes... LOL

• Like 1

the run n gun part of turkey on any sort of shared land can be super frustrating. if more deer hunters were stalkers you'd have a thousand more stories like this too. On top of that, i think turkey hunters are the worst trespassers, and i'm not sure why, other than people don't seem to be as possessive over their birds as they are with deer. That and turkey's will let you know where they are. haha.

2 hours ago, Grizz1219 said:

When hew bumped the LB coming into my set he knew, he was 60 yards from me when I saw him walking away... How close did he get to me and my decoys, only he knows.. I don't fault him for getting close (Well, a bit for getting THAT close), but he knew that birds was coming to my calling and shooting it as it passed him is kinda sh_tty in my book.. Oh, and I walked to the spot he killed it today, feathers proved where he shot it is right where I thought.. As stated, I know no laws were broken... but from what I've heard on the farm, they told people they were in a completely different field.. so they know they aren't ethical hunters.. and are already lying... I didn't correct the story they are fabricating.. Father and older son duo... I see where the kid got his ethics from... 

I agree 100% it was a crappy thing to do. I was more or less saying private land is great but, when you have a bunch of people on the land that don't know or interact with one another it's the same as hunting a public spot. You just never know what people are going to pull.

I have had people in my own hunting parties pull this kind of crap, not just with turkey, deer also. That's why I gave up hunting for a long time. There's no shortage of unethical hunters out there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Belo said:

the run n gun part of turkey on any sort of shared land can be super frustrating. if more deer hunters were stalkers you'd have a thousand more stories like this too. On top of that, i think turkey hunters are the worst trespassers, and i'm not sure why, other than people don't seem to be as possessive over their birds as they are with deer. That and turkey's will let you know where they are. haha.

Spot on. The why like you said is turkeys let you know where they are. Guy gets up at 3-4 am for days on end , go to work and hasnt heard a bird. Eventually he hears one touch off. Wearing full camo ( not bright orange ) he could care less at this point about trespassing. He’s going to kill that bird and the property owners probably won’t even hear the shot as they’re sleeping. He’ll sneak out and nobody the wiser mentality. It’s also tougher dragging a deer out of someone’s land undetected lol   

• Like 1