What is Harder for YOU?

Five Seasons

Which is Harder for YOU?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which?

• Spring Turkey
    • Any Legal Deer

I am part of the 82 % that finds turkeys harder. That is mostly due to a lack of desire.  For me, the main reason for that is wild turkey is pretty close to last place, when it comes to meat that I would want to eat.  The second reason, is that I would rather be out on the water fishing in the spring where tics, mosquitoes, and black flies are less of a problem, and I love eating fish.    I did pick up some turkey tags this year, while I was renewing my fishing licence, just in case there is a Tom gobbling on every hill around the lake at sunrise.  That was the case a couple years ago, up at my in-laws over the Memorial day weekend, but I didn't have tags.   I will throw the shotgun and call in the rowboat in the morning and if I can call one down to the waters edge, I will take a crack at him.  The breast would not go to waste.  I suppose my wife and daughters would eat it, because they do like the store-bought and farm raised stuff.      

Edited by wolc123

Definitely Turkeys . I havn't tried turkey hunting but maybe a dozen times and have never shot one . The closest was when a jake was with a bunch of hens . Didn't shoot for fear of hitting a hen . I don't get the heart beat with turkeys as I do with deer . 

I cant vote on this . Both are easy given time to hunt.  Bear are hard in NY np matter how much time you put in..there is no calling,  no baiting, your not gonna track one, and not on a reliable pattern 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, G-Man said:

I cant vote on this . Both are easy given time to hunt.  Bear are hard in NY np matter how much time you put in..there is no calling,  no baiting, your not gonna track one, and not on a reliable pattern 

get yourself a honey pot. Still a little gray, but from what I understand if you use less than the legal amount of "attractant", (1.5 oz i thing?) the honey pot is legal. Also the sponge soaked in vanilla, anice or whatever you like. 

Edited by Belo

53 minutes ago, Belo said:

get yourself a honey pot. Still a little gray, but from what I understand if you use less than the legal amount of "attractant", (1.5 oz i thing?) the honey pot is legal. Also the sponge soaked in vanilla, anice or whatever you like. 

Still not a winner..your hoping a bear is around.. turkey or deer always are..I could burn honey for a week and never see a bear. And then boom there is one..then gone for weeks again.. 

Much more limited amount of time to kill a bird and working 7:40am-3:10pm M-F gives me next to no time except weekends. At least deer hunting I can get into the woods for a few hours before sunset.The Spring Turkey season Noon quitting time kills it for me. I like to Walleye fish more than bird hunt so I barely make it out turkey hunting in the spring anymore.

• 2 months later...
On 5/2/2018 at 1:07 PM, The_Real_TCIII said:

Ill be surprised if this isnt 90/10 deer

Well done. 85/15 right now.

I've only turkey hunted twice. I saw nothing (had a guy with me showing me ropes first time). I very rarely see turkeys anywhere, though, whether at fields, while out in woods. Extremely rare and I see deer far more often. 

I think the answer to this question depends totally on what property you have access to.  I spend much of my archery season hunting on state land in 9P, where there are not many turkeys.  If that was the only land I could hunt, turkeys would be few and far between for me.  This is a family camp and we have been hunting together for almost 50 years.  Luckily I have land much closer to my home which is farmland with an abundance of turkeys (and deer).  I think it is probably easier to find access to good deer land than good turkey land.  Just my experience, your mileage may vary.

jperch

• Like 1