2018 Baseball Thread

grampy

Three innings proves nothing come on lol. Sales been shelled a couple times this year, it happens. Lot of game left

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sale got shelled? Maybe 3 months ago? He’s given up like 5 runs total in the last 2 months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 7/11/2018 at 9:29 PM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

7 shutout innings and 12K’s again. Did Chris Sale just win the starting job in All Star over Severino? No pitcher ever has started 3 straight all star games. This would be 3 in a row for Sale

Last 7 starts:

48IP
5ER
78K!

Looking at 7 starts don't mean anything.  The tale of the tape so far between Sale and Severino:  They both had 20 starts.  Sale is 10-4 with 2.23 ERA and Severino is 14-2 with 2.31 ERA.  To have 4 more wins at this point is a BIG difference, thus Severino wins hands down as being the best pitcher so far.

Looking at 7 starts don't mean anything.  The tale of the tape so far between Sale and Severino:  They both had 20 starts.  Sale is 10-4 with 2.23 ERA and Severino is 14-2 with 2.31 ERA.  To have 4 more wins at this point is a BIG difference, thus Severino wins hands down as being the best pitcher so far.

You are joking right? Wins means nothing. Sale has better numbers in every single category. WAR rolls it all nicely too and shows Sale has had the better season so far.

Sale 5.6

Severino 4.8

Same 20 starts. Sale less hits allowed, less runs, less walks, 44 more K’s, lower ERA, lower WHIP. It’s a clean sweep!

46 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

You are joking right? Wins means nothing. Sale has better numbers in every single category. WAR rolls it all nicely too and shows Sale has had the better season so far.

Sale 5.6

Severino 4.8

Same 20 starts. Sale less hits allowed, less runs, less walks, 44 more K’s, lower ERA, lower WHIP. It’s a clean sweep!

Biz, you are blinded by your love for the Red Sox.  Having 4 more wins and 2 less losses in 20 starts means a hell of a lot more than having a fraction of percentage better ERA.  How much better is Sale's 2.23 ERA compared to 2.31?  Come on now.  Here's a stat that you won't get reading your garbage modern stats like WHIP, WAR and senseless nonsense like that.  They both had 20 starts and Severino has 14 wins in comparison to Sale's 10.  This means Severino has won 70% of his starts, while Sale has won only 50%.  Again BIG difference, and you can't blame the teams hitters because Sale has the bats to back him up.  Look, I could care less arguing with you about this.  I rarely watch games anyway, just want to point this out to you, since your opinions on baseball are out of left field a good percentage of the time.

By the way, what happened to the 2017 baseball thread?   I'd love to find the post where you were practically guaranteeing that Judge would be back in the minor leagues by the middle of this season!  LOL  Yeah, you were right on the nose with your prediction on that one!  

Edited by steve863

Biz, you are blinded by your love for the Red Sox.  Having 4 more wins and 2 less losses in 20 starts means a hell of a lot more than having a fraction of percentage better ERA.  How much better is Sale's 2.23 ERA compared to 2.31?  Come on now.  Here's a stat that you won't get reading your garbage modern stats like WHIP, WAR and senseless nonsense like that.  They both had 20 starts and Severino has 14 wins in comparison to Sale's 10.  This means Severino has won 70% of his starts, while Sale has won only 50%.  Again BIG difference, and you can't blame the teams hitters because Sale has the bats to back him up.  Look, I could care less arguing with you about this.  I rarely watch games anyway, just want to point this out to you, since your opinions on baseball are out of left field a good percentage of the time.
By the way, what happened to the 2017 baseball thread?   I'd love to find the post where you were practically guaranteeing that Judge would be back in the minor leagues by the middle of this season!  LOL  Yeah, you were right on the nose with your prediction on that one!  

I’m sorry but you are 100% wrong. Wins are a product of your team’s offense in those games. It’s luck of the draw. Sox have other pitchers with more wins than Sale. It means nothing.

27 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I’m sorry but you are 100% wrong. Wins are a product of your team’s offense in those games. It’s luck of the draw. Sox have other pitchers with more wins than Sale. It means nothing.

Wins mean nothing, eh?  Lets take Jacob DeGrom of the Mets as an example.  He has 19 starts and is only 5-4 due to little support from the lame Mets, but has a 1.68 ERA which is considerably better than either Severino or Sale.  Lets say he ends up 10-9 by the end of the season and holds on to that ERA.  You think they'd give him the Cy Young award for being such an exceptional pitcher, yet only winning 10 games during the season?  No way Jose. 

Edited by steve863

Wins mean nothing, eh?  Lets take Jacob DeGrom of the Mets as an example.  He has 19 starts and is only 5-4 due to little support from the lame Mets, but has a 1.68 ERA which is considerably better than either Severino or Sale.  Lets say he ends up 10-9 by the end of the season and holds on to that ERA.  You think they'd give him the Cy Young award for being such an exceptional pitcher, yet only winning 10 games during the season?  No way Jose. 

Wrong again. He can certainly win cy young. King Felix won with a losing record.

Scherzer won last year with 16 wins. A few others had more wins.

Lincecum won with 15.

I was wrong with King Felix, he was 13-12 when he won.

Many guys have won with 10+ losses

On 7/13/2018 at 8:30 AM, steve863 said:

Wins are a terrible measure of a pitcher.  The 4 wins have more to do with the offense than Severino.  Catch up!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stubborn1VT said:

Wins are a terrible measure of a pitcher.  The 4 wins have more to do with the offense than Severino.  Catch up!

BS.  You guys say that because most starters these days can't go past the 5th inning and can't chalk up more than 15 wins per season at best.  You guys are too young to have seen pitchers like Steve Carlton, Bob Gibson, Tom Seaver and Jim Palmer and they all got lots of wins every season with worse hitting teams than Sale's Red Sox. You gave them the ball they'd take it to at least the 8th inning.  Had arms of steel compared to the wimps of today.

BS.  You guys say that because most starters these days can't go past the 5th inning and can't chalk up more than 15 wins per season at best.  You guys are too young to have seen pitchers like Steve Carlton, Bob Gibson, Tom Seaver and Jim Palmer and they all got lots of wins every season with worse hitting teams than Sale's Red Sox. You gave them the ball they'd take it to at least the 8th inning.  Had arms of steel compared to the wimps of today.

Degrom could throw a CG every start and won’t win 20 games. Offense/luck plays a major role.

6 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Degrom could throw a CG every start and won’t win 20 games. Offense/luck plays a major role.

Steve Carlton was 27-10 with 30 complete games in 1972 with the Phillies.  The Phillies won only 59 games that year.

Edited by steve863

Steve Carlton was 27-10 with 30 complete games in 1972 with the Phillies.  The Phillies won only 59 games that year.

But there’s a 5 man rotation now so most guys only get 30-35 starts in a season

15 hours ago, steve863 said:

Little known fact: the team that scores the most runs wins.  An ERA of 2.00 won't do you any good if your team can't score 3 runs.  It has nothing to do with the "good old days".  I say wins aren't a good measure of a pitcher because it's a fact.  It's a team sport.  If you want to rate a pitcher look at HIS numbers: ERA, WHIP, and K/BB ratio come to mind.  

• Like 1

Wtf? Just admit a deal was made. He cannot return so he gets paid and yanks collect insurance $

720455f317e800832244f8c1f61d7530.png&key=96a0c6c175b350561823c4080c8378c80223964bb895493a4a88a178a25a431e

He gets paid either way why would he be complicit in a scam that doesn’t allow him to ever play again. They’ll have to eat the rest of the contract eventually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro