Man I hate ticks!

Fletch

Was yard working and out back clearing woods trails over the weekend and got a pair of ticks off myself and the dog over the weekend. Then today I’m in the yard building a new firewood rack and all done sitting and resting and feel an itch on my hip. Frickin tick diggin in.

Last year I hardly saw any all year. This spring all over the frickin place.

My wife saw these things called tick tubes with the cotton balls that supposedly mice carry back to their nest. They are harmless to the mice but kill ticks? I’m thinking of buying a truckload! Things give me the willies! Dog has already had lime sooner or later I’m guaranteed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

My wife saw these things called tick tubes with the cotton balls that supposedly mice carry back to their nest. They are harmless to the mice but kill ticks?

Looks like it would be a hell of a lot cheaper to just spray cotton balls with Permethrin (sawyers) and spread them around instead of buying the "tubes" at better than $3.00 a piece. Should try to get the mice to since they a are the primary carrier.

I seen those last year Thermacell. I also seen how you can make your own,
Tp rolls stuffed with dryer lint that has been sprayed with sawyers 

This seems to have worked for me last fall and this spring in the blinds. I also spray my hunt and outdoor work clothes till wet and store in plastic bags then air dry. TP rolls and lint r cheap, sawyers not so much but it's got to be cheaper than gettin Lyme from those little bastards

Monday night my wife pulled one out that was buried in the depths of my navel. Nearly impossible to see and while she got most of it she may have left whatever goes into the skin in. 

Quick search says to leave it in. Not sure I want the doxycycline. At this point, I'm getting a course every year.

Monday night my wife pulled one out that was buried in the depths of my navel. Nearly impossible to see and while she got most of it she may have left whatever goes into the skin in. 
Quick search says to leave it in. Not sure I want the doxycycline. At this point, I'm getting a course every year.

I get the antibiotics any time After I find a tick attached and it’s been more than 24 hours since I’ve been in the woods. Prob overkill but too many stories bout Lyme disease that scare the crap out of me

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I get the antibiotics any time After I find a tick attached and it’s been more than 24 hours since I’ve been in the woods. Prob overkill but too many stories bout Lyme disease that scare the crap out of me

Question .... Are the antibiotics a sure cure ?

from having lyme disease myself - get the antibiotic!    I had a weekend of terrible migraines and fever and on Sunday night had a bulleye rash on the back of my knee.  Never saw a tick or knew i got bit.  24 hours later felt much better.  I knew something was wrong as i never get bad headaches etc.  Havent had any problems since. 

A buddy of mine didnt get it diagnosed right away and he got bells palsey for a few days til they finally tested him for Lyme.  

21 minutes ago, Paula said:

I pull ticks off me all the time. I can't imagine living on antibiotics, Plus my Dr won't give me doxy unless i test positive for Lyme

by law or standard medical practice (not sure which) they can only give you so many days of doxy without lyme confirmation. bullseye they treat as positive but otherwise they need a positive test. i've even brought the female deer tick in once. they said they don't send them out despite i know you can.

everyone says they're worse every year but i truely believe this year is bad. i haven't changed anything i do. every time i've gone out this year i have gotten them crawling on me and this last time attached.  it's all out war now. i've gotten permethrin, saved TP tubes, and cotton balls. we've used sun screen with IR3535. i recently picked up Sawyer's Picardin too.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, grampy said:

My Doc told me that each time we take the doxy, at the same dosage, the effectiveness decreases. That's why he waits for a positive confirmation, before prescribing.

thing that worries me that i learned from my father-in-law that got it bad is doxy isn't a cure all. he had gotten more than just lyme. there's specific strands of lyme and more than just lyme that you can get from ticks. he had to take specific antibiotics for each one and all at once to snuff it out.  even then the symptoms stay and was broken so much he was forced to retire his trade job early.  i think docs are getting more informed but i still think many don't have a clue if it reaches that point. i mean he went through multiple docs before treated knowledgeably and successfully.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, grampy said:

My Doc told me that each time we take the doxy, at the same dosage, the effectiveness decreases. That's why he waits for a positive confirmation, before prescribing.

That's the problem with people taking antibiotics for the simplest of ailments.  I am not saying that Lyme disease isn't serious, but I know so many people that will run to the doctor to get medication for things that really don't need medication.  After a while NOTHING works on these people.   They have been drugged up so much that they have no immunity left of their own and the meds don't work anymore either.   I would like to see a study of the people who have come down with Lyme disease and how many of these people have been regular users of prescription medications.  I bet you'd find some correlations. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, b3h said:

TP rolls and lint r cheap, sawyers not so much

You can offset the cost by going to tractor supply and buying this for about $8.00 It will make 1-2 gallons. Sawyers is only 0.5% Permethrin  so this will go a long ways.

permethrin.jpg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Steve D said:

You can offset the cost by going to tractor supply and buying this for about $8.00 It will make 1-2 gallons. Sawyers is only 0.5% Permethrin  so this will go a long ways.

permethrin.jpg

have you used that on gear? not sure what inert ingredients are in it and if they effect your clothes. the use guide just says use chemical resistant clothing, gloves, etc. when applying it to other stuff.

It's a good idea to use bug spray and permethrin. But here's the prob. You can get bit anytime as well.  Mowing the lawn, grilling outside, walking the dog, getting your mail.   That stuff cert lowers risk while in the woods. But if you hunt behind your house guess what they also live in your yard. 

And if I got bit I would take the antibiotics.  They usually only prescribe a couple to head off infection if no symptoms.  

I dont .take any prescription meds and never take antibiotics for anything so am gonna take it for Lyme if bitten.  Know guys 3 guys that are very debilitated from not catching it soon enough.  There are lots of different variables of antibiotics as well off needed.  They are def over prescribed a lot but if you don't take a lot of antibiotics don't take the risk with Lyme. 

If you were only bit for sure for just a few minutes maybe but if unsure I would take them. 

There does seem to be an "uptick"...(pun intended)... in the numbers of the crawly's this year. And I said the same thing last year too. Certain areas like the Pine Bush here. And the Mendon area, where I hunted with moog last year have higher concentrations of ticks. But there doesn't seem to be too many places left that do not have them. So be more aware, when you 'KNOW' you are in a "buggy" area.

I spend a lot of time outdoors, as most of you do as well. That being said, I am persistent in checking myself and taking a shower at the end of the day, after any outdoors activity. That helps, along with increasing Sawyers bottom line, with multiple bottles on hand. I've had Lyme before, and it's no joke! So as the numbers of ticks increase, so does my persistence! But there is absolutely no foolproof way to protect yourself and pets from this scourge. We can only hope to lessen the chance of infection, through persistence. 

Check Yourself Daily!!!  Get Them Off Before They Dig In!!!  Or Out Before 24 Hours!!! 

See Your Doctor If Any Symptoms Develop!!!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

It's a good idea to use bug spray and permethrin. But here's the prob. You can get bit anytime as well.  Mowing the lawn, grilling outside, walking the dog, getting your mail.   That stuff cert lowers risk while in the woods. But if you hunt behind your house guess what they also live in your yard. 

And if I got bit I would take the antibiotics.  They usually only prescribe a couple to head off infection if no symptoms.  

I dont .take any prescription meds and never take antibiotics for anything so am gonna take it for Lyme if bitten.  Know guys 3 guys that are very debilitated from not catching it soon enough.  There are lots of different variables of antibiotics as well off needed.  They are def over prescribed a lot but if you don't take a lot of antibiotics don't take the risk with Lyme. 

If you were only bit for sure for just a few minutes maybe but if unsure I would take them. 

i've gotten spray for the yard this year that kills them. i'll use that around the high traffic areas of my 2.5 acre lawn. in years past i've used the granules. still have a bag left i'll use on the walking paths off the lawn.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, grampy said:

There does seem to be an "uptick"...(pun intended)... in the numbers of the crawly's this year. And I said the same thing last year too. Certain areas like the Pine Bush here. And the Mendon area, where I hunted with moog last year have higher concentrations of ticks. But there doesn't seem to be too many places left that do not have them. So be more aware, when you 'KNOW' you are in a "buggy" area.

I spend a lot of time outdoors, as most of you do as well. That being said, I am persistent in checking myself and taking a shower at the end of the day, after any outdoors activity. That helps, along with increasing Sawyers bottom line, with multiple bottles on hand. I've had Lyme before, and it's no joke! So as the numbers of ticks increase, so does my persistence! But there is absolutely no foolproof way to protect yourself and pets from this scourge. We can only hope to lessen the chance of infection, through persistence. 

Check Yourself Daily!!!  Get Them Off Before They Dig In!!!  Or Out Before 24 Hours!!! 

See Your Doctor If Any Symptoms Develop!!!

when i hunted in the Pine Bush I'd take my outer layers off in the parking lot or trail head and put them in one of those giant ziploc bags. it was great hunting if you were into deer but a lot of people are turned off because of that.

• Like 1

I'm currently going through this now. I had a tick dig into me two weekends ago and was pretty deep. I wasn't sure if he got into me that day or the day prior. The doctor recommended treating me as if the tick did have lymes. I never take any meds so i rather lean on the side of caution and take the antibodies. He had me on 100mg of Doxy which I am just finishing up. From now on I'm using sawyers and being more diligent each time I come out of the woods. That was a scare I didn't like.

• Like 1