Leeks. How do you prepare or use them.

mowin

New to using/cooking leeks.  Actually, never used 'em before. Just found a patch. 

I've often used scallions in salads, BBQ potatoes, ect.  But never used leeks before. 

So, how do you prepare or use leeks? 

What's your favorite use or recipe?  I need ideas.. 

You use them almost like a scallion. I know people who dehydrate the leaves and use as a spice, but I have always found them bitter after re-hydrating.

I slice them up for salads, pasta sauce, or even put them in homemade salsa. You can sauté them just like an onion ( but a lot less cooking time ), and use on a steak, in burgers, meatloaf, stuffed pork chops...... The list never ends. 

Take a look at leek recipes in the web.

You can pickle them as well.

My favorite way aside from soup, is just eat them raw with whatever meal I prepared. 

I made this soup a couple of nights ago, came out great.

Wild and Wonderful Ramp Chowder (from Healthstartsinthekitchen.com) 

2 T bacon fat or other cooking fat

1 cup ramps 1/2 bulbs, 1/2 greens

3 large russet potatoes, peeled and diced, about 4 cups

4 cups chicken or vegetable broth

1/8 t white pepper

1/8 t red cayenne pepper

sea salt to taste

2 cups heavy cream

2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese

In Dutch pot over medium heat sauté ramps in bacon fat until soft

add potatoes and broth, white pepper and cayenne pepper.  simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through.  Be sure broth is well salted.

Reduce heat to low.  Add heavy cream and cheddar cheese, stir well to combine.  Cook over low until everything is well mixed.  Do not boil.

Turn off heat and let sit for 30 - 60 minutes. This allows the chowder to thicken.  If you want a thicker chowder, immersion blend gently or remove 1-2 cups to a blender.   Gently reheat, serve with crumbed bacon or shredded cheese, or chopped ramp greens on top. 

• Like 1

Also, easy way just to start out, clean them well and cut bulbs from leaves.  Chop leaves roughly.  Sauté in olive oil, salt and pepper.   Great with a nice chunk of bread and some olives and cheese.....glass of wine.  

My friend told me he hit them with olive oil, salt and peppper and grilled them whole, and they loved them. I plan to do that tomorrow night.  

Caste iron pan, high heat, extra virgin oil and butter, salt, pepper. Cook until they wilt and soften up. Eat as a side.

Or. Chop up the white bulb and some of them lighter green-quick sautée in oil - whisk up some eggs and make a cheese omelette over the top.

OR....potato Leak soup or potato salad but leaks not oinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I love 'em raw, but The Mermaid makes me sleep on the couch..

I like them all ways, use them any way you'd use scallions,  steam them greens and all, put them on sandwiches, but probably the most succulent leeks I have ever eaten were some that a buddy of mine pickled a couple years ago... True redneck gourmet fare...

On 5/9/2018 at 4:32 PM, Pygmy said:

I love 'em raw, but The Mermaid makes me sleep on the couch..

I like them all ways, use them any way you'd use scallions,  steam them greens and all, put them on sandwiches, but probably the most succulent leeks I have ever eaten were some that a buddy of mine pickled a couple years ago... True redneck gourmet fare...

My friend's father used to put leeks in with his pickled eggs concoction. One of the tastiest things I've ever had.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Was gifted some fiddleheads today   Can’t wait.  A little sweeter than asparagus. Little balsamic glaze soon 

E90DC5DC-B25A-4E2D-B94A-802577CDFE75.jpeg

Man Turkey - You are having a BANNER DAY!!   I have had fiddleheads=, but have not foraged any myself.  I will keep my eyes open tomorrow for sure. 

Dug a few leeks today. Walked 400 acres trying to find morells.  Found none. Looked where I found some last year, but didn't pick them. Went back 2 days later and they were a wilted mess.  Never had morells, so I was hoping to find at least one to try today.  Leeks are quite potent.  Thinking a omlet with leeks andSwiss tomorrow morning will be great.  Of course a side of home cured bacon will complete the meal. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I pickled some using Hank Shaws recipie on his website. Just tried them yesterday and they were great! Not sure what to use them for except to eat them right out of the jar.

60936fff3e8cab117046e601cb0f6511.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Otto said:

I pickled some using Hank Shaws recipie on his website. Just tried them yesterday and they were great! Not sure what to use them for except to eat them right out of the jar.

60936fff3e8cab117046e601cb0f6511.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Link?  Or recipe.... Please.