Plowing Started

On 6/9/2018 at 7:58 PM, wolc123 said:

Hopefully it makes tasty deer also.  My nephew gave me a bag of some kind of pasture mix that I put in last spring and this year it looks like mostly red clover.  I hope the button bucks like it.   As you know, antlers don't do a whole lot for me.   

Nice clover plot. Deer love red clover. I seed acreage of red clover every other year for a fresh renewal. Make the first hay, then leave the second for deer. Not a stitch is left by Halloween. They eat the blossoms off at just a certain time.

2 hours ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

Do you spread it on top of the ground or incorporate it into a seed bed?

I spread on top and run overwith side by side. I don't own equipment to do it another way.

I used the snowplow on my machine to clean the areas out this spring. Mowed them with a walk behind strind trimmer, drag a 17 inch truck tire with bolts through it and filled with an 80lb bag of concrete. Then use a walk behind seed spreader to spead seed and fertilizer.

Will have to wait and see how it works

• Like 1

Hoping my brother got to mowing our clover plots before this rain.

Friday I put in our screens for a couple plots and property lines. I usually do no till everything, but with these i ran a disk over lightly. I really need the screens. So i very lightly scratched some of the soil, to put the seed down a tad farther. I wasnt sure when we were going to get the next rain, since we can hardly ever trust extended forecasts anymore. Then packed it in good with the atv tires. The sense of security for myself and the critters is much greater when vision is limited. The daytime movement is escalated. it just creates better everything.  access is easier etc.. 

Sorry i did not take pics yet. Like to see what kind of better daytime movement it will promote in the new places i did the screens, since daytime movement has always been decent there until gun season. 

Screen seed used: Northwoods Whitetails Food plot screen

IT is Egyptian Wheat and Hybrid sorghum. I used it last year and with no fertilizer used and a mid June planting date. It got to be about 8-10ft tall. 

• Like 2

On 6/13/2018 at 10:42 AM, LET EM GROW said:

Hoping my brother got to mowing our clover plots before this rain.

Friday I put in our screens for a couple plots and property lines. I usually do no till everything, but with these i ran a disk over lightly. I really need the screens. So i very lightly scratched some of the soil, to put the seed down a tad farther. I wasnt sure when we were going to get the next rain, since we can hardly ever trust extended forecasts anymore. Then packed it in good with the atv tires. The sense of security for myself and the critters is much greater when vision is limited. The daytime movement is escalated. it just creates better everything.  access is easier etc.. 

Sorry i did not take pics yet. Like to see what kind of better daytime movement it will promote in the new places i did the screens, since daytime movement has always been decent there until gun season. 

Screen seed used: Northwoods Whitetails Food plot screen

IT is Egyptian Wheat and Hybrid sorghum. I used it last year and with no fertilizer used and a mid June planting date. It got to be about 8-10ft tall. 

I was planning to use that to break up my plots a bit and screen them off from the open oak flat that sits between them. Hoping that promotes more movement between the plots.

• Like 1

I noticed a big difference. Especially closer to bedding areas. Ive even just made partial screens to cut up bigger plots, some that came out into a plot half way or so. To make them go around and put them in bow range when they go around. OR plant right across and cut a hole out where they can slip through.

I wont p=do plots without screens again lol. And highly recommend this seed/company. 

After about 2 weeks with no rain, we finally got a good one yesterday morning.  I could almost see the corn grow, when the sun came out in the afternoon.  I don't know if it will be knee high by the fourth of July but at least it has a chance now.  That rain also kept the dust down while mowing the last of my red clover.   I managed to get about an acre and half of buckwheat planted in the late afternoon.  I would have put more in, but the seed was a lot more expensive than I remembered from the last time we planted it here, more than 30 years ago.  A 50 pound bag was $30 this year.    

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

After about 2 weeks with no rain, we finally got a good one yesterday morning.  I could almost see the corn grow, when the sun came out in the afternoon.  I don't know if it will be knee high by the fourth of July but at least it has a chance now.  That rain also kept the dust down while mowing the last of my red clover.   I managed to get about an acre and half of buckwheat planted in the late afternoon.  I would have put more in, but the seed was a lot more expensive than I remembered from the last time we planted it here, more than 30 years ago.  A 50 pound bag was $30 this year.    

Hardly wet the ground here.  I remember buckwheat seed at $6 a bushel last time we planted for pancake flour.

3 hours ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

Hardly wet the ground here.  I remember buckwheat seed at $6 a bushel last time we planted for pancake flour.

It soaked in good here, just south of the Niagara county line in Erie County.  The last two rains missed us clean and even the grass around the house had stopped growing.  That rain woke it up again, so I had to cut it this afternoon.     

• Like 1

Probably the wrong thread for this post, but this thread is going strong so here goes lol...

My "no till" soybeans. No "Plowing started" here lol. Just an update, Broadcast and rolled in on June 1st. Got 2 slammers of rain storms that night.. End result. Beans are up and doing well. "(picture was before fence went up). Fence went up this week. with a trail camera to observe. 

Trail cam picture is from another soybean plot where I lightly disked up the soil, broadcast seed and dragged in (kind of conventional) same day as the no till beans. Well you can see the difference plain as day. very little beans present from erosion due to heavy heavy down pours. The Protected "No Till" beans even on a slight downhill slope still present and growing.. 

20180620_170739.jpg

20180617_072702_001.jpg

IMG_0696.JPG

• Like 1