Home owners insurance

Moho81

Does anyone have any experience with home owners insurance?

All the wind storms throughout the winter ripped about 8-10 shingles off our roof in all different spots. The roof has at least 2 layers of shingles on it not sure if it’s more because the house is new to us.

I was just wondering if it would be worth the time and effort to try home owners or if the damage is small enough that it wouldn’t be covered.

And no I’m not fixing it myself. Full 2 stories and me no likey heights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allstate cancelled us after putting in a claim for flooded basement( serv pro unfinished it )  in May the one year followed by our shed getting killed in October storm.  Let me see our basement is now unfinished and we aren’t getting a new shed so cancel us. We were high risk they said. So can’t put in a claim ?! Maybe hire a private contractor to do it. 

Allstate cancelled us after putting in a claim for flooded basement( serv pro unfinished it )  in May the one year followed by our shed getting killed in October storm.  Let me see our basement is now unfinished and we aren’t getting a new shed so cancel us. We were high risk they said. So can’t put in a claim ?! Maybe hire a private contractor to do it. 

That’s the type of story I hear over and over again and the reason why I almost want to avoid calling the insurance company all together.

We pay for insurance yet for homeowners at least it seems impossible to actually use it with out it backfiring.

We have a package deal for our home owners through State farm we have a 500 $ deductible for eathier a car claim or for the house . I guess it depends on what your deductible is and if there is water damage to the wood it self on the roof under the broken shingles..but be advised don't be surprised if they don't cover the damage they have a habit of saying things like it was a act of nature in cases like yours

Edited by silent death
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

All the wind storms throughout the winter ripped about 8-10 shingles off our roof in all different spots. The roof has at least 2 layers of shingles on it not sure if it’s more because the house is new to us.

I was just wondering if it would be worth the time and effort to try home owners or if the damage is small enough that it wouldn’t be covered.

Years ago I lost some siding during a wind storm. Put in a claim for maybe $1500 if I recall. State Farm dropped me like a hot potato.

• Like 1

First off Allstate blows. I just dropped them for Home owners and Auto and saved myself $1000 a year.  Deductible will be key and I had a buddy that had State Farm and he had several shingles go off. They depreciated the repair cost using the age of the roof and it's expected life and then applied deductible, cut the check and dropped him. 

• Like 1

Insurance companies are good in collecting premiums from you and that's about it.  When you put in a claim they will do their damndest to weasel their way out of not paying you anything or the least amount possible.  They ALL stink in my opinion!   

• Like 1

I’ve been with the same Nationwide office for 40 years, started with the father , then his daughter and now granddaughter .

Currently 4 cars, house and million dollar umbrella . Never had an issue, 2 flooded basement claims within a few years . Daughter caused an MVA and got a ticket for it , never had a rate increase.

Edited by Stay at home Nomad

Surprised hearing about insurance companies dropping customers over claims. I can see for negligence but over acts of nature or occurrences that are totally out of your control, I don't get it.

I've been with Amica (homeowner's and vehicles) since around 2000. My wife has totaled two cars in that time, I had the hood on my truck shot through by a .308 (don't ask), even had a rodent chew through the wiring harness of my truck that they covered to replace the entire wiring harness. All claims paid with no questions asked and in a very efficient manner. Guess I've just been lucky.

Edited by MPHunter
  • Like 1

It generally depends on how long you've been with an insurance company, and whether you're considered a 'valuable' customer. This means, have you paid enough in over the years to allow them to give a little back. It also depends on whether or not your agent likes you personally.

In the case of something minor like a few missing shingles, you'll be better off just hiring someone to replace them. $200 or $300 dollars for the trouble would be about the going rate. Be forewarned that with two layers of shingles you're probably going to be looking at a full tear-off and replacement before long anyway.  Sorry buddy.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

I’ve been with the same Nationwide office for 40 years, started with the father , then his daughter and now granddaughter .

Currently 4 cars, house and million dollar umbrella . Never had an issue, 2 flooded basement claims within a few years . Daughter caused an MVA and got a ticket for it , never had a rate increase.

I have everything with Nationwide as well. Have never had an issue but my agent in one of my best friends as well lol. I hate to think how much money I send him a month with, the house, 3 cars, an atv, the bass boat, life insurance, my IBRP, and who know what else.........

I do have a deductible on stuff like that so if it's just popping in some new shingles your probably better off just doing it and not worry about a claim. If there is more damage, water and such well get an estimate and figure it out.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MPHunter said:

Surprised hearing about insurance companies dropping customers over claims. I can see for negligence but over acts of nature or occurrences that are totally out of your control, I don't get it.

I've been with Amica (homeowner's and vehicles) since around 2000. My wife has totaled two cars in that time, I had the hood on my truck shot through by a .308 (don't ask), even had a rodent chew through the wiring harness of my truck that they covered to replace the entire wiring harness. All claims paid with no questions asked and in a very efficient manner. Guess I've just been lucky.

Ummm first you say your hood got shot with a .308 then say don't ask? nah nah nah that ain't happening.... So whats the story behind that one? Lol 

1 hour ago, philoshop said:

Be forewarned that with two layers of shingles you're probably going to be looking at a full tear-off and replacement before long anyway.  Sorry buddy.

That's next years big expense. Just trying to make the roof last one more year and it will get done in the spring. I'm prepping for worst case of a complete new roof. Plywood, shingles, fascia, gutters and downspouts. 

21 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

That's next years big expense. Just trying to make the roof last one more year and it will get done in the spring. I'm prepping for worst case of a complete new roof. Plywood, shingles, fascia, gutters and downspouts. 

Ouch!

If you're anywhere near the Geneva area, or even Central NY, I know a really good guy for that. And one of his crews will have it done in no time flat.

26 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Ummm first you say your hood got shot with a .308 then say don't ask? nah nah nah that ain't happening.... So whats the story behind that one? Lol 

If you must ask....A friend of my dad owns a gravel bank which is where we go to shoot. Two weeks before gun opener we go to check zero on our rifles. For some reason we forgot our shooting rest and our lawn chair (we're very high tech). So we decide to just rest off my truck. I position my truck at a very precisely walked off 50 yards (we would then move back to 100). My dad says "I'll just rest off your hood". First shot I see gravel fall down about 30 feet up the bank. I said "What the hell were you shooting at!?" He replies "Oh shit I just shot your truck!" Lesson learned, what you see through the scope is not necessarily what you are shoting through - especially at short ranges. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, virgil said:

Also depends on your deductible. 

If you have a $5000 deductible and the repair is $6000, PAY OUT Of POCKET. 

I hope you get my drift.....

Insurance is for BIG ticket repairs, not for “close to” deductible amounts. 

• Like 1

If you have a $5000 deductible and the repair is $6000, PAY OUT Of POCKET. 
I hope you get my drift.....
Insurance is for BIG ticket repairs, not for “close to” deductible amounts. 

I figured they would either do nothing or do just a patch repair which would not be worth using insurance for.

This thread just confirms my suspicion.

I’ll pay someone to patch it then get it done next year. I know a few reasonable roofers in my area what won’t kill me on price.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Moho81 said:

A guy i work with lost a couple shingles a couple months back , he stopped at a house doing a roof and offered one of the guys 100 bucks to put a couple shingles on. ,the guy stopped after work ,never even shut his truck off .

• Like 2

The thing is; you put a claim in for something just over your deductible amount thinking "hell, I haven't had a claim in 37 years, they owe me".  So you get a check from the insurance company and have a rummy your cousin knows patch the roof, pocketing a few bucks.  6 months or a year latetr you get some water in the basement and figure WTH, I'll put in another claim.  

That's two strikes against you and it goes in your homes CLUE report.

https://www.bankrate.com/finance/insurance/clue-report.aspx

AND, you're ripe to be dropped like a hot potato and go into a risk pool.  Maybe......

26 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

The thing is; you put a claim in for something just over your deductible amount thinking "hell, I haven't had a claim in 37 years, they owe me".  So you get a check from the insurance company and have a rummy your cousin knows patch the roof, pocketing a few bucks.  6 months or a year latetr you get some water in the basement and figure WTH, I'll put in another claim.  

That's two strikes against you and it goes in your homes CLUE report.

https://www.bankrate.com/finance/insurance/clue-report.aspx

AND, you're ripe to be dropped like a hot potato and go into a risk pool.  Maybe......

And this is NOT directed at anybody here.