My youngest son graduated from Alfred state nursing program tonight

rob-c

So very proud of him, when he started there were 146 nursing students and only 54 graduated tonight .  Now he has to pass his NCLEX to officially become a nurse and when he does he has a job waiting for him. Alfred’s program is the only nursing program in the country that has a 89% pass rate on the NCLEX.They are also known as one of the most difficult and demanding programs around.  He did all this while being the nursing programs president  from his sophomore year. 

Thanks for letting me brag a little on my boy, I figured there’s enough dads on here that would understand.. 

• Like 25

Congrats ! It’s a good feeling for sure , our oldest is a RN at Strong , transferring into their  hospice unit soon. 

Good job by your son , he can work anywhere in the country if he wishes.

• Like 1

Congratulations for your whole family. Always great to see kids go to college for a career and not just a diploma.

I can confirm Rob-c's numbers on graduating the nursing programs in this state. You don't get to just decide you want to be a nurse. There is a lot of studying and work involved with no time for the teachers to babysit. I know a woman that is part of a nursing program and she says that 30-40% is about the norm for the number of starting students and the number that graduate.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Arcade Hunter said:

Congrats Rob-C

My Daughter also just graduated.. She takes the boards next month then she is an RN.  She already has a job lined up at Buffalo General.  I can relate to how proud you must feel as I am right there with you! 

Congrats right  back at you, these kids that put themselves through this are deserving.no doubt... 

• Like 1

Congratulations Rob-C!! My niece worked her butt off to become an RN. Now she works 30 hours per week as a nurse, 15 hours per week teaching nursing students, and about 20 hours per week doing school work to become an MD. She's driven and we're all very proud of her.

• Like 3

Mine had a degree in a related field, then decided she wanted to be a RN, so she took the accelerated program ( 2 years of college in 1).  She did very well and many said she should be a  PA, but she’s done with school......

She is transferring into the hospice unit ,as it’s a good fit for,her.

89% pass rate is very good, but they’re not the  only ones ,

According to the third quarter NCLEX-RN results, UB School of Nursing’s 2017 traditional program graduates earned a remarkable 97.06 percent pass rate on the certification examination. The 2017 cohort of ABS graduates also secured an excellent pass rate of 93.48 percent.

again congrats !

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Mine had a degree in a related field, then decided she wanted to be a RN, so she took the accelerated program ( 2 years of college in 1).  She did very well and many said she should be a  PA, but she’s done with school......

She is transferring into the hospice unit ,as it’s a good fit for,her.

89% pass rate is very good, but they’re not the  only ones ,

According to the third quarter NCLEX-RN results, UB School of Nursing’s 2017 traditional program graduates earned a remarkable 97.06 percent pass rate on the certification examination. The 2017 cohort of ABS graduates also secured an excellent pass rate of 93.48 percent.

again congrats !

Oh no doubt that’s fantastic, The head of the nursing program made it sound like they were very few that had that high of a pass rate. I bet maybe she was referring to SUNY colleges.. all I know is it’s a ton of hard work, and any kid that puts themselves under that much stress deserves to be recognized.. 

Edited by rob-c

39 minutes ago, Papist said:

3 was the magic number?

I started on the PhD, degree #4, but then realized it was more fun to actually build stuff with my own hands like I had done before. I don't regret a bit of the education because I learned how to think in different ways. I also learned how to think differently on construction sites in Louisiana 6 years before Alfred State, but that would be an entirely different discussion. ;-]

• Like 1