Beef Tenderloin

MPHunter

Bought a whole beef tenderloin on sale today. Got two nice roasts (bigger one going on grill tomorrow for mother's day), five smaller filets for a dinner and a bunch of chain meat for a couple stir fry dinners. After breaking down and trimming up there was about 1 1/2 pounds of waste which still made the price per pound worth it. I could have cut the roasts down into some bigger filets but I prefer doing the roasts reverse sear on the grill. 2047006bf62435070970066d67d2fdbb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 7

We do this a lot with pork. Sometimes beef. You get a good cut of meat for a good price. Then we do the same, cut it up how we see fit. The ends make for some nice roasts from both pork and beef, and the pork is great for pulled pork in the crock pot. The ends also make for some great roasts in a smoker as well. Just a tip with the brine if you plan to smoke either, do not do the 24 hour brine unless you like excessive amounts of salty flavor. Brine for an hour per pond and you will have a nice balance with the salt and the smoke flavor.

1 hour ago, Dom said:

Looks like you made a good choice buy whole and cut the way you prefer.

Worked out to about $10 a pound after trimming. Considering filet mignon is $15 per pound plus at the grocery, it's not a bad deal. 

36 minutes ago, MPHunter said:

Worked out to about $10 a pound after trimming. Considering filet mignon is $15 per pound plus at the grocery, it's not a bad deal. 

Not at all you got a good deal.Considering my local Grocery store gets 4.79 for 85%ground beef/Londonbroil is 7.99.

11 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

If your buffalo area the Sloan market has great prices on whole cuts 

I have heard of that place. It is over near Walden Ave right? Might have to check it out next time I am out there. 

On 5/11/2018 at 10:49 AM, Doc said:

I looked out and two yearling Hereford bulls were casually strolling across the middle of the lawn heading up into the woods and up the hill. I have no idea where they came from or where they were going.

Now we know

Edited by wolc123