Turkey breast

Paula

Never heard of using a crockpot. Marinate in oj , Italian dressing and dash of crushed red pepper.  Wrap in bacon. Smoke or oven.  Can dice breast into bite sized pieces do same way and add a dallop of cream cheese before wrapping the nuggets in the bacon. You’ll thank me later 

• Like 6

TF nailed it .  Great recipes.

I usually cook the dark meat in crockpot and make pulled BBQ Turkey sandwiches with it. That comes out good. But it gets cooked with lots of dinosaur garlic honey BBQ sauce.  

I also like to cut the breast into bites and pound them with a heavy knife, then bread with chicken breader and deep fry.  Also comes out great.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, virgil said:

I haven’t found that you need to doctor up the breast with bacon or anything else. I like to slice it thin and then bread it and fry it like chicken cutlets. Comes out great. 

Isn’t breading it and frying it Doctoring it up?  Sounds good though. 

All the ideas are good, I don’t eat much bacon so I don’t think I would do that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I knew someone would say that. 

I meant that, it seems that a lot of game recipes start with wrapping the meat in bacon and stuffing it with something. Probably tastes great. But, seems more like an effort to hide the flavor of the meat. 

Breading and frying might technically be considered ‘doctoring it up’ , but doesn’t really mask the flavor of the meat. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, virgil said:

I knew someone would say that. 

I meant that, it seems that a lot of game recipes start with wrapping the meat in bacon and stuffing it with something. Probably tastes great. But, seems more like an effort to hide the flavor of the meat. 

Breading and frying might technically be considered ‘doctoring it up’ , but doesn’t really mask the flavor of the meat. 

I dont use bacon to hide the flavor, I do it to keep the meat moist due to the lack of fat. Plus the flavors go well together. Stuffing it with cheese is optional, I just like cheese. :yes:

• Like 4

I cold smoke for a couple hours with maple or apple, then SV at 160* for a few more hrs.  Absolutely fantastic.

I've also ground some and made some turkey sausage.  That was good to.

I've cubbed it up and browned it a little than let it simmer in a alfrado sauce. 

6 minutes ago, virgil said:

Holy crap. I meant no offense to lovers of bacon and cheese. Bacon and cheese are two of my favorite food groups. 

Too bad that thread about coyote dens died. 

No offense taken, just explaining why I do it.

No need for it to die, liven it back up!

• Sad 1

let them soak a good 24 hours or more in buttermilk. add seasoning you'd like, be it just pepper and garlic salt or something less simple. toss/coat in bread crumbs, flour, or both if you want. then fry or bake to golden brown.  air-fryer nuggets go over well with our daughter who's almost 4. 

I cut into bite-sized chunks and marinate.  Equal parts olive oil, soy sauce and maple syrup.  Then I add black pepper, garlic, or diced ramps.  It doesn't have to soak long.  Fry in a pan for about 8 minutes.  Serve with brown rice or stuffing.  

I have also started making "turkey fingers" with Oven Fry.  Serve with fries or sweet potato fries and your choice of dipping sauces.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, virgil said:

Holy crap. I meant no offense to lovers of bacon and cheese. Bacon and cheese are two of my favorite food groups. 

Too bad that thread about coyote dens died. 

there was actually an article in the weekly DEC digest that i subscribe to for both work and outdoors. Really didn't want to keep that thread alive, so here it is: https://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/89522.html 

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like you need to cook the legs longer in the crockpot, they meat should literally be falling off the bone when you take them out (12 hours on low?)

Lots you can do with the breast meat. Cut it in cubes and deep fry them like nuggets. Cut in cubes, marinate in Italian dressing or Speidies overnight, wrap in bacon and cook on the grill. Or cut the meat into cutlets, and pound them thin with a meat hammer, after removing all the silverskin, for turkey parm, Marsala, country fried steak, etc. I made weinerschnitzel last night, with brown butter, lemon, & capers, over spaetzle...I died & went to heaven for a short time.:heat:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...