Cast iron pan handed down.

Bionic

My parents just brought home a couple pans that someone had abandoned at camp. they're selling the camp so they were cleaning it out. my mom was going to scrap them and then i told her how to refinish them. one of them is an 8" Erie 704A. the other was smaller but i don't know other than that. would be cool if it was an Erie 5" that's hardest to come by.  things like that are cooler than any $ value they'd have.  the smallest ones probably having the best stories if they could tell them.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

My parents just brought home a couple pans that someone had abandoned at camp. they're selling the camp so they were cleaning it out. my mom was going to scrap them and then i told her how to refinish them. one of them is an 8" Erie 704A. the other was smaller but i don't know other than that. would be cool if it was an Erie 5" that's hardest to come by.  things like that are cooler than any $ value they'd have.  the smallest ones probably having the best stories if they could tell them.

I agree 1000%

• Like 1

I have 2 small steaks in a nice olive oil, and dry rub marinade as we speak coincidentally!  Throwing a dozen shrimp in a marinade tonight as well.  I dont want to use this pan on my kitchen stove since its electric glass top, afraid of scratching it to death.  I do have electric coil stand alone burner i can use though.

I’m not a fan of electric glass cook top. That being said. Moved into a new house 3 years ago that had a glass cook top. We’ve been using cast iron on it for 3 years. Not one scratch.Maybe we’re just lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, philoshop said:

They can be resurrected, and then preserved. Aliens will find them in a few thousand years and will know what they were for.

Their official findings will be labeled as a tool to end a domestic dispute.

• Like 2

I didn't read through everyones post but don't use that on a glass cook top! I love our cast irons and in the winter it is our go to for burgers, steaks, eggs, bacon, well really anything I feel like cooking on the stove. The wife still likes her non-stick pans but I'm slowly transitioning her. The cast iron just cooks so much more evenly. 

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, aboa13 said:

I’m not a fan of electric glass cook top. That being said. Moved into a new house 3 years ago that had a glass cook top. We’ve been using cast iron on it for 3 years. Not one scratch.Maybe we’re just lucky.

I actually never tried one on the glass cooktop.  I am afraid too, and probably wint, but good to hear its possible without damagine the surface, I would drag it around though.  I like the clean look of the glass top, im a clean freak.

37 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

I didn't read through everyones post but don't use that on a glass cook top! I love our cast irons and in the winter it is our go to for burgers, steaks, eggs, bacon, well really anything I feel like cooking on the stove. The wife still likes her non-stick pans but I'm slowly transitioning her. The cast iron just cooks so much more evenly. 

Lol, thanks, that was why I mentioned that I wont use it at much as I would like.  

I actually never tried one on the glass cooktop.  I am afraid too, and probably wint, but good to hear its possible without damagine the surface, I would drag it around though.  I like the clean look of the glass top, im a clean freak.

My wife is a bit OCD. Ours is spot less without a single scratch.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

I have a dutch oven cast iron pot that has been through three generations It gets used a lot.. I also have a set ( like 5)  of cast iron pans that was left by my car. I don't know what it is, but cooking in cast iron sure brings out the flavor in foods.

You ever make dump cakes in the Dutch oven?

• Like 1

One of the best trades I ever made, was when an older hunting buddy gave me a Griswold No 6 Erie Pa iron frying pan in exchange for a rattle bag.  I had that bag for a number of years, and it never worked for me.   The pan is very well seasoned and I fry my eggs in it every Saturday and Sunday.  The trick is, pour a little olive oil in it, let it heat up, then break the eggs.  They never stick.   Cleanup is easy, just a quick wipe with a paper towel.   The best use of it for sure though, is fresh button buck liver, lightly seared, in olive oil with some onions.   None of that for me last year, but I hope to get it done this fall.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

Oh yeah; my favorite being apple snickerdoodle with caramel drizzle on top,  on the side with cinnamon ice cream.

Sounds amazing , my dad always makes one at camp with a can of peaches and vanilla cake mix ,not sure what else ,but its so good.

• Like 1