Wood spirit

wooly

So, the other day I found  a patch of cottonwood trees that were shedding their bark so I decided to stock up by filling my pack.

Now that I think of it, I know where there are several more GIANT trees like this in the area, so looks like I'll have plenty of carving material to get by for a while. 

Anyhow, this was really my first honest attempt at carving ANYTHING from wood. Now I'm thinking it's probably time to get myself some knives and gouges as this stuff is a real treat to work with. (once you get past all the ticks that hang out in this stuff). Big difference from carving bone all the time, that's for sure!

This is only the second one of these "wood spirits" I've tried, so I've still got a lot of room for improvement, and I'm looking forward to coming up with some new crazy designs for these!

I just love bringing home all this over looked crap from the woods and turning it into something different.

DSC_0001.thumb.JPG.406226f73af3181a7a94ea39084df3c6.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG.7f25b722fb12f0d2b9bad983ae953b0f.JPG

DSC_0003.thumb.JPG.ad5472fbdca84381501bcd9120a0e8c2.JPG

• Like 21