2018 Quebec Spring Bear Hunt

moog5050

Best baited hunt I ever did, I killed 2 hrs before leaving for airport after a grueling week long marathon of hunting; was awesome.
Hang in there and keep the faith. :drinks:

My first bear was day ten, last day of the second year, with 15 minutes left. I was looking at my bait, turned my head for a tenth of a second, turned back and there’s a bear on it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 3

Well no bear last night either.  Been a tough first 4 days.   And I can count the days I have been here by the bags under my eyes.  New one each day.   Flies were tough last night.   2 more nights to get it done.   And the euchre championship is tied at 2 night to 2 nights.  lol.  Still a good time. I am hoping for Dinsdale’s fortune.   But boo boo  may be in trouble at this point.   Full body mount cub!   Haha.  

• Like 6

Brief update.   Smallish sow taken by one of our group last night and a big bear clean missed at 10yds by another.  Still quiet on the Bob and Brian front.   One more night to get it done.  Euchre ended a tie.   Camp is great and we are treated well.   The guide said due to weather things are 2 weeks behind so baits are starting to get hit more regularly now but we are almost out of here.  Be cool to see another bear or 2 go down on our last night.   

We just finished butchering the sow.  Estimated 130-140lbs and only 25lbs of meat.   Lol

keeping the Tacks and Dinsdale faith!

• Like 3

Brief update.   Smallish sow taken by one of our group last night and a big bear clean missed at 10yds by another.  Still quiet on the Bob and Brian front.   One more night to get it done.  Euchre ended a tie.   Camp is great and we are treated well.   The guide said due to weather things are 2 weeks behind so baits are starting to get hit more regularly now but we are almost out of here.  Be cool to see another bear or 2 go down on our last night.   
We just finished butchering the sow.  Estimated 130-140lbs and only 25lbs of meat.   Lol

Good luck. What happened with 10yd miss?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Good luck. What happened with 10yd miss?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t know other than the guy said he rushed the shot.   We all still assumed he connected.  Tough to miss that close.   We then asked what bullet type, I won’t mention his response but even if he connected, it was a small hole in and out.  Not a good call.  Could have hit and I am guessing blood would be tough to find with that sponge of a hide.  They could not find any sign of a hit today.  Hopefully clean miss.  

• Like 1

On 5/22/2018 at 7:34 PM, Stay at home Nomad said:

Good luck fellas !

Heres a Northern , I got in Quebec back in the day, casting from shore black and white Daredevil. Canoe trip I forget the lakes name .

B30B2528-6EA3-4C04-9772-F79C13C33528.jpeg

About the same size.  I am just way bigger than you.  Pic is deceiving.   Lol

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

We then asked what bullet type, I won’t mention his response but even if he connected, it was a small hole in and out.  Not a good call.  Could have hit and I am guessing blood would be tough to find with that sponge of a hide.  They could not find any sign of a hit today.   

Sounds like the start of a "Is A 223 Big Enough for Black Bear" thread.^_^

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dinsdale said:

Sounds like the start of a "Is A 223 Big Enough for Black Bear" thread.^_^

Military grade FMJ.  Uh.  Not a good idea.  

Sitting at site.   Have connection.  But flies are crushing my hand.  Site was hit again since I sat it last night.  4 days in a row.  Re bait and honey burn.  Hope he comes earlier!  Let’s get to it!

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Military grade FMJ.  Uh.  Not a good idea.  

Sitting at site.   Have connection.  But flies are crushing my hand.  Site was hit again since I sat it last night.  4 days in a row.  Re bait and honey burn.  Hope he comes earlier!  Let’s get to it!

Fingers crossed.:drinks:

Shame bear has to pay for hunters stupidity for choosing that ammo; in the age of wonderful information I don't understand that myself. But you pays your money and you takes your chances.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Did you get a chest girth measurement ?  That is a good sized bear because I have heard that those over 200 pounds are not worth eating.

Edited by wolc123