2018 Quebec Spring Bear Hunt

moog5050

13 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Did you get a chest girth measurement ?  That is a good sized bear because I have heard that those over 200 pounds are not worth eating.

Cmon man. Chest girth measurement?! Weeeeeeeee , here we go again. 

Good luck Brian and Bob   hope a big one walks in front of you. 

10 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Cmon man. Chest girth measurement?! Weeeeeeeee , here we go again. 

Good luck Brian and Bob   hope a big one walks in front of you. 

I am hoping for the inedible 400lb variety.  Lol

• Like 5

Well the frenchy won this time.   But it ain’t the last time these bears smelled me.  I will be back.   No idea on Bob yet.  

I did hear a, let’s say a bark in the thick stuff to my left at 9:10.   Dead down wind.  Could have been a bear.  No idea.   

Good trip anyway.  Slightly disappointed but don’t regret it a bit.   

Whos up for next year?   Pretty reasonable with great accommodations.   And the unsuccessful trip  is done so now you get in on the good one!

• Like 5

15 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Military grade FMJ.  Uh.  Not a good idea.  

Sitting at site.   Have connection.  But flies are crushing my hand.  Site was hit again since I sat it last night.  4 days in a row.  Re bait and honey burn.  Hope he comes earlier!  Let’s get to it!

Not sure why anyone would bear or deer hunt with a FMJ bullet?  Bad choice IMO.  So many better options available.

17 minutes ago, steve863 said:

FMJ was surely a bad choice for hunting, but if he did hit the bear thru the vitals with a FMJ he'd still have a dead bear.  I would assume that if he did hit the bear at all, he made a very poor shot.

agreed. When theyre hit good they dont go anywhere

Well the frenchy won this time.   But it ain’t the last time these bears smelled me.  I will be back.   No idea on Bob yet.  
I did hear a, let’s say a bark in the thick stuff to my left at 9:10.   Dead down wind.  Could have been a bear.  No idea.   
Good trip anyway.  Slightly disappointed but don’t regret it a bit.   
Whos up for next year?   Pretty reasonable with great accommodations.   And the unsuccessful trip  is done so now you get in on the good one!

I really enjoyed myself. It’s kind of tiring with the schedule and glad we have a three day weekend to get back in sync. Up fairly early. Eat breakfast. Fishing on the lake. Lunch and then leave for the stands at 3. Some days we were pretty far away from camp on some pretty rough and remote “roads”. The first 3 days I way lucky enough to get dropped at the blind site first but that meant the last to be picked up. I usually got picked up at 10-1010 and back to camp at 1040 or later. Cook dinner and a couple drinks. Game of cards and it was tough to get in bed before 1am or 2 am. I am beat.

Brian was gracious enough to chauffeur me to Quebec. I enjoyed our conversation and stories. A+ individual right there guys. Glad to add him as a friend.

Oh and bugs???!!!! I can’t say enough about rynoskin. I just bought he face mask and gloves but will be getting the shirt and pants. It’s like underarmour heat gear but the fabric won’t let them bite through. I wore a hat and Head net but a head bead always seems to touch the back of your neck or ears. With the rynoskin on there was no bite through. Not one bite on stand but I got chewed up yesterday making our empanadas and fish fry. We ate very well up there but brought way too much food.

A very good trip even though no bear for me. I would definitely return to do it again.
  • Like 9

Thanks for summary; sorry you guys didn't connect, but good that had fun anyway.

Interesting comment on rynoskin, looked at it, but first 'real' review I've seen of it. Sounds like good investment. 

My only complaint is the the gloves don’t feel very durable and since they are one size fits all the fingers are pretty long. I would probably wear them under a more durable glove if I was doing anything other than what I used them for

Hopefully you guys will go back. You will find thermocells work fantastic, either in a tree or a ground blind. The more comfortable you can sit, the more still you are. Most stand sites have been in use for years, and the bears know where the stands are. I have watched bears watch the area for hours before coming in. There is no such thing as being too still. At least in the spring, I have found the bears all taste fine, at least up to 275 (three I have shot were 225-275). 

I've been bear hunting twice, both times in Maine.  My first year I went with two buddies to Woody's Guide Service.  There were a total of twelve hunters in camp and roughly three guys went home with a bear.  We didn't see any.  A few years later we booked OMM Outfitters through Cabelas.  It was about $1000 more than the average outfitter in this area, however, out of the ten hunters, 8 of us left with bears.  This camp was excellent!!!  Each group of hunters had their own cabin with running water for showers and the food was amazing.  Lobsters, moose stew,  and smoked Delmonico steaks were a few of my favorite meals.  We fished during the day on the lake, they allow you to use their pontoon boats.  They also held a skeet competition one of the days.  Anybody that shot their bear early in the week was able to sit and hunt coyotes free of charge.  Definitely give them a look if you considering a bear hunt in this area.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Daveboone said:

Hopefully you guys will go back. You will find thermocells work fantastic, either in a tree or a ground blind. The more comfortable you can sit, the more still you are. Most stand sites have been in use for years, and the bears know where the stands are. I have watched bears watch the area for hours before coming in. There is no such thing as being too still. At least in the spring, I have found the bears all taste fine, at least up to 275 (three I have shot were 225-275). 

The thermacell didn't seem to have much effect on the black flies, at least for the limited time I tried it.  Ran it a few times for about 30min and when the flies remained, I turned it off to eliminate further scent.  Full bug suit would have been my friend, but I only brought a head net.  Now I know for next trip (which will be soon).

52 minutes ago, Pav2704 said:

I've been bear hunting twice, both times in Maine.  My first year I went with two buddies to Woody's Guide Service.  There were a total of twelve hunters in camp and roughly three guys went home with a bear.  We didn't see any.  A few years later we booked OMM Outfitters through Cabelas.  It was about $1000 more than the average outfitter in this area, however, out of the ten hunters, 8 of us left with bears.  This camp was excellent!!!  Each group of hunters had their own cabin with running water for showers and the food was amazing.  Lobsters, moose stew,  and smoked Delmonico steaks were a few of my favorite meals.  We fished during the day on the lake, they allow you to use their pontoon boats.  They also held a skeet competition one of the days.  Anybody that shot their bear early in the week was able to sit and hunt coyotes free of charge.  Definitely give them a look if you considering a bear hunt in this area.

Fall or spring?  As I recall, maine only has fall hunts? 

Yes, as far as I know Maine only has a fall season.  I hunted the opening week both times which is  the last week of August.  The guides told us that you will see more bears during the first week and less as the weeks progress, however, the bears get bigger during weeks three and four.  All depends on what you are looking for.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pav2704 said:

Yes, as far as I know Maine only has a fall season.  I hunted the opening week both times which is  the last week of August.  The guides told us that you will see more bears during the first week and less as the weeks progress, however, the bears get bigger during weeks three and four.  All depends on what you are looking for.

The guide in quebec mentioned that odds are better on a spring hunt because the bait is the premier food source but obviously the bear get heavier as the year progresses.  Makes sense that the same is true in fall.

• Like 1