Craziest thing you've ever found in the woods

StevieSacs

I dont know if this has ever been posted before, but I figured id ask.  What is the absolute craziest thing you've ever found while hunting or hiking.  My buddy's dad found an old cannon ball back in the early 80's.   I always think about how cool it would be to stumble across an old musket under a rock overhang or some type of indian weapon / artifact.  I always keep my eyes peeled.   I've found countless deadheads and even a full Coyote carcass, but never anything out of the ordinary.

I follow the MMA Fighter Chad Mendes on instagram and 2 years ago he found an old Mastodon tooth while Elk hunting in Utah.  

Interested to hear what kind of stuff people have stumbled upon while in the woods.

Steve S

• Like 1

5 or 6 years ago I was hunting near mud lake along the northville placid trail. It was colder than a bastard and a few inches of snow on the ground. Heard a very strange noise down by the lake so I made my way towards the noise come around the ridge to see 2 fellas naked having what appeared to be a grand time. I made an about face and quickly put some distance between me and them.

Not exactly what I was expecting to see 4 miles from the closest road but what the hell they would have probably thought I was the crazy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Strangest thing I ever stumbled on was three harvested pot grows in the middle of the woods. tress cut to open the canopy, miracle grow containers on the ground and fine plastic chicken wire to keep the animals out. the plants must have been tall becasue they were chopped off and were still about 3-4' tall. must have been 300 plants between the three spots. 

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

5 or 6 years ago I was hunting near mud lake along the northville placid trail. It was colder than a bastard and a few inches of snow on the ground. Heard a very strange noise down by the lake so I made my way towards the noise come around the ridge to see 2 fellas naked having what appeared to be a grand time. I made an about face and quickly put some distance between me and them.

Not exactly what I was expecting to see 4 miles from the closest road but what the hell they would have probably thought I was the crazy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i might have seen these same two guys! lol

A couple of years ago i was out fishing Lelands pond and heard a horn blaring.  I look to the road and there is a car stopped and a naked dude diving into the bushes.  The car left and another one came along and two naked dudes run across the road in front of it and one of them had an antler hat on. I was on my way in but stayed out on the water til they left.  So i rowed my way in and just as I get to the shore a trooper pulls in....  "oh god I hope he doesnt think it was me! Lol"  so he comes over and rolls the window down.  I ask him.... "looking for two naked idiots?"   

He laughs and says ... "yeah , im guessing you saw them.... and i bet they were dudes....its always dudes...."  lol   So i told him the description of the car etc.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

That's not right !!

Maybe they were just trying to ward off hypothermia....

• Like 1

Assuming Buckmaster and Rob made those stories up to keep people out of their woods.  And guess what, it worked.  I will stay far away from where they hunt! 

I haven't found much interesting other than a drop tine buck in the creek on my property that someone gut shot.  Never found out who it was but I tried.  Cool rack.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Does this count? I found it while trout fishing this spring near a parking area. Definitely at the top of weird for my finds! IMG_20170418_161414489.jpeg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I am appreciating hunting private land more and more!  WTH!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Assuming Buckmaster and Rob made those stories up to keep people out of their woods.  And guess what, it worked.  I will stay far away from where they hunt! 

I haven't found much interesting other than a drop tine buck in the creek on my property that someone gut shot.  Never found out who it was but I tried.  Cool rack.

Orrrr... to lure people in to their woods , not that there is anything wrong with that...

• Confused 1

I've found lots of cool things over the years.  I don't know what was the craziest thing though.......

As a very young hunter (maybe 14-15) I found a Puma sheath knife.  I still have it but in the saddest of saddest moves, I let my buddy Steve use it to (UGGH) cut a broadhead out of a tree and he started to pry the head out.  Even as a young piss pot I knew you shouldn't be doing that.  He busted the tip off PDQ. 

WE took it to his dad's shop and promptly ground a new "tip" on it, someday I'll post a picture of the disaster that was the end result.

I can't come up with anything too crazy now as I'm pretty tired but gimme a few minutes........