Big Woods Coyote hunting

Gmac39

I was interested in Coyote hunting in the Moose River Plains this fall. I was hoping to get some thoughts on locations of where I might be most successful. Any and all information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

i have fished the moose river plains a few times but its been a few years.  Dont recall much of a large yote population up there but am sure is some.   I do remember a lot of it was VERY brushy and thick though.  Caught some nice brookies up there.  And there are a few bears as well. 

no idea how the hell you might hunt them in that kind of environment. i'd be looking for what they prey on more than anything. look for edges and locations that would hold them. i'd hunt dawn and dusk with a solid idea of how to get where i was going.

While I have never hunted the Moose River Plains I have done quite a bit of varmint hunting in heavily wooded terrain, I have taken mostly Fox and only a few Coyotes. I can tell you the action is fast, the shooting is quick and the ranges are short, I have come to believe a fast handing, tightly choked short barreled shotgun with the appropriate shot charge is best for hunting varmints in heavy cover especially when the leaves are still on.

Al

Edited by airedale

20 hours ago, Gmac39 said:

I was interested in Coyote hunting in the Moose River Plains this fall.

I have made numerous trips to that area at different times of the year and can't recall even hearing a coyote. That is some big rugged country. I would suggest a couple of dry runs scouting before investing  a lot of time. They are probably there but I doubt their numbers would justify putting a lot of effort into it.

Coyote are certainly up there, but I think they have a better chance of finding you than you do of finding them.

It's rugged terrain and the food sources are spread out.  You can try predator calling, but even if they respond, you're going to have a tough time sighting them for a shot.

IMO, you'll have much more success hunting in the farm country south of the ADK's.

• Like 2

After deer season would think there are a lot of farms etc that would let you coyote hunt that would be much better as well.  The moose plains is some rugged country and esp wouldn't want to be out too far into the night. 

Was trout fishing there years ago on Sumner creek.  Caught some brookies and was working my way down the creek with my nephew.  We saw two guys on the bridge and they stayed there the whole time.  We came back to the bridge and one guy said "never saw it did you….." and laughed.  He said there was a bear just ahead of us on the stream and we would move up a hole and he would move up a hole. He said we were within 40yards of it. Lol never saw it.  I did see tracks but glad I didn't see a bear hungry for trout. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

They come into Hell Diver pond just at dusk, typically looking for rabbits.  (A few rabbits in the area tried to snuggle up to the fire when they came in.)  I tried to get one but he busted me before I even had a chance to draw on him.  Otherwise like many have stated they are not very abundant in that area.  

Typically the yote would come in on the left side of the driveway (As you enter.) area by taking the road into the campsite before Helldiver on the same side just east of Helldiver.  If you the wind is right you can park in that spot and still get the yote, it is a short road but has a curve to hide the truck.  

Best bet would be to try Helldiver with bait just at dusk or even the field by the T.  They do roam that area and a good rabbit in distress should get you some action, again best of luck!!!  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have had some luck using sign post trap setups.  I burn a log and then make a fence post out of it.  Seems coyots like to mark their territory.  I place traps right there, or put a hole set upwind of it.  

Hunting itself will be very difficult.  Far as fur bearers go up in the stillwater big moose area, there more fisher and mink to be had there.  IT takes alot of work to get a coyote via trapping.