PA hunters barred from bringing whole deer back from Maryland, New York, Ohio and West Virginia due to CWD

Dinsdale

Its every state now in one form or another.  Its almost impissible to take brain/spine across state lines especially multiple state lines.  

Best to do what Lawd says.  A lot of ppl lose their stuff especially returning home from out west.  Google it.  More than you think.

I'm not a PA hunter, but I do transport my deer through PA. I hunt near Ithaca and travel 81, 380, to 80 and back to Long Island. As per the article, it sounds like just pertains to PA hunters. Does anyone know if that is the case? I really don't want to have to take 17 home if possible. 

On 5/25/2018 at 11:54 AM, dbHunterNY said:

i feel we as hunters unknowingly spread it more than the deer actually do.

So True. Funny part is that most people do not even know how CWD came to be in Ny.   Many like to listen to the agenda pushers while few know that the cases came from a Taxidermist that also was a rehabber for the state. DEC would bring all fawns  found by people. Now this fella was not the cleanest letting the deer come in contact with salt and stuff from his shop. 

Back then the state would not let deer into the state from farmers that were also taxidermists. Michigan cases came to be in the same manner.  Those that look at the true facts can see just where CWD got its traction from!

DEC and Ag & Markets Release CWD Risk Minimization Plan:

DEC has partnered with the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets and Cornell University’s Animal Health Diagnostic Center to develop a comprehensive plan to prevent CWD from being introduced into New York. The goals of the plan are 1) keep CWD infectious material and infected animals out of New York 2) prevent exposure of CWD infectious material to wild white-tailed deer, moose and captive cervids in New York and 3) provide information and education to inform the public of CWD risks and the threat posed by CWD.

In 2005, CWD was confirmed in five deer from two captive breeding facilities in Oneida County. DEC and Ag & Markets executed a swift and coordinated response among several agencies to contain the cases to a small area. More than 47,000 deer have been tested statewide since 2002, and there has been no reoccurrence of the disease since 2005. DEC, Ag and Markets, captive cervid facility owners, hunters, meat processors, and taxidermists need to do everything we can to prevent this fatal disease from being reintroduced into New York.

To learn more about CWD, the CWD Risk Minimization Plan, and ways you can help prevent its introduction into New York, visit the Chronic Wasting Disease webpage on DEC's website. 

cwd-expansion-maps_original.jpg

On 5/27/2018 at 1:39 AM, Four Season Whitetail's said:

So True. Funny part is that most people do not even know how CWD came to be in Ny.   Many like to listen to the agenda pushers while few know that the cases came from a Taxidermist that also was a rehabber for the state. DEC would bring all fawns  found by people. Now this fella was not the cleanest letting the deer come in contact with salt and stuff from his shop. 

Back then the state would not let deer into the state from farmers that were also taxidermists. Michigan cases came to be in the same manner.  Those that look at the true facts can see just where CWD got its traction from!

i don't think we agree on how deterimental CWD is. we've already had that discussion. still a lot unknown about it though. doesn't matter were it came from or who's to blame. the outcome would be the same. reason for policies that are going in place. i mean we except you can't transport firewood that has a potential bug, so it makes sense not to transport deer in some forms, potentially with a different kind of "bug".
it sucks to have a deer farm lose it's whole herd but i don't think a dead positive deer comes up that often.  you are compensated some for the loss. deer in a fence aren't totally isolated from wild deer. if there's a case found it's best to snuff it out earlier than later. you can rebuild your farm herd in a week. wild deer population not so much.

i don't think we agree on how deterimental CWD is. we've already had that discussion. still a lot unknown about it though. doesn't matter were it came from or who's to blame. the outcome would be the same. reason for policies that are going in place. i mean we except you can't transport firewood that has a potential bug, so it makes sense not to transport deer in some forms, potentially with a different kind of "bug".
it sucks to have a deer farm lose it's whole herd but i don't think a dead positive deer comes up that often.  you are compensated some for the loss. deer in a fence aren't totally isolated from wild deer. if there's a case found it's best to snuff it out earlier than later. you can rebuild your farm herd in a week. wild deer population not so much.

Negative. Once you are depopulated you are done for at least 5 years and they even try to make you leave the fences up for those years. Do they fence in areas where wild positives are found? Do they stop the transports of hay and grains from positive states into Ny? I have no problem with being proactive but if someone was really that worried about it they would not pick and choose which ways to fight it. They would stop all vectors. How much money do you think would be lost if they stopped all shipments out of positive states? Billions and Billions. And that vector has been proven time and time again. Yet we still buy Iowa corn on Ny shelves and feed it to Ny animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Negative. Once you are depopulated you are done for at least 5 years and they even try to make you leave the fences up for those years. Do they fence in areas where wild positives are found? Do they stop the transports of hay and grains from positive states into Ny? I have no problem with being proactive but if someone was really that worried about it they would not pick and choose which ways to fight it. They would stop all vectors. How much money do you think would be lost if they stopped all shipments out of positive states? Billions and Billions. And that vector has been proven time and time again. Yet we still buy Iowa corn on Ny shelves and feed it to Ny animals.

i honestly didn't know the number of 5 years but yes i meant once you're allowed to rebuild. of course they don't fence in where wild positive deer are found. you should keep the fence up it makes sense as traces of it is still probably there after you remove the deer.  I don't disagree with you they should continue to do more but eliminating all vectors as you put it isn't feasibly done.  the cost versus risk for one of the vectors might not be worth pursuing versus another one.

i honestly didn't know the number of 5 years but yes i meant once you're allowed to rebuild. of course they don't fence in where wild positive deer are found. you should keep the fence up it makes sense as traces of it is still probably there after you remove the deer.  I don't disagree with you they should continue to do more but eliminating all vectors as you put it isn't feasibly done.  the cost versus risk for one of the vectors might not be worth pursuing versus another one.

So you think it's fine to screw one guy and not the other. Let me ask you. If Wild CWD is a mile from my house and then I get found with one you think it's fine and dandy to kill all the animals behind fence for pennies on the dollar and lock down all fenced in land for no use for at least 5 years and do nothing about the positive 1 mile away? Same animals but one is locked in and the other is free to carry on spreading the same disease for miles around?

32 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

So you think it's fine to screw one guy and not the other. Let me ask you. If Wild CWD is a mile from my house and then I get found with one you think it's fine and dandy to kill all the animals behind fence for pennies on the dollar and lock down all fenced in land for no use for at least 5 years and do nothing about the positive 1 mile away? Same animals but one is locked in and the other is free to carry on spreading the same disease for miles around?

you're putting your words into my mouth. no i don't want anyone to get screwed over.  i would assume continued work toward an excepted live test is going on, if they haven't got one yet. then randomly sample and quarantine of the deer in the fence.  if nothing is found after so long then i guess you're fine. i'm fine with my tax dollars going in a pot with everyone else to pay for it. there has to be a way around offing your whole herd and without a CWD meanings nothing attitude.  maybe it's on the horizon but until then the means to deal with it is probably the best available.  i doubt that DEC and the state would do nothing if they figured out there was a positive wild deer a mile away.  unfortunately it's a lot easier to address deer in a pen than a wild deer.  a big question is you, someone else, or I has no idea where it came from. was it the deer a mile away that had it first or your deer in the pen, when they rubbed noses or whatever may have caused a transfer? people don't really understand where it comes from yet.  it just pops up and any CSI can't connect the dots, despite there must have been a reason. it's all speculation.

you're putting your words into my mouth. no i don't want anyone to get screwed over.  i would assume continued work toward an excepted live test is going on, if they haven't got one yet. then randomly sample and quarantine of the deer in the fence.  if nothing is found after so long then i guess you're fine. i'm fine with my tax dollars going in a pot with everyone else to pay for it. there has to be a way around offing your whole herd and without a CWD meanings nothing attitude.  maybe it's on the horizon but until then the means to deal with it is probably the best available.  i doubt that DEC and the state would do nothing if they figured out there was a positive wild deer a mile away.  unfortunately it's a lot easier to address deer in a pen than a wild deer.  a big question is you, someone else, or I has no idea where it came from. was it the deer a mile away that had it first or your deer in the pen, when they rubbed noses or whatever may have caused a transfer? people don't really understand where it comes from yet.  it just pops up and any CSI can't connect the dots, despite there must have been a reason. it's all speculation.

No that was more of a question than putting words in your mouth. Point being when a wild is found it's to late, it's going to spread, so they say! Fence deer they want to kill but only monitor the wild herd? What sense does that make? Every other state that has had CWD has had it spread. Why? It's in the in the system now, ground,plants and animals. How does Ny be the only state with no other cases? From the professionals they say it's not possible? Those deer did not wiz or crap in the woods? Did not eat? Does not add up. As far as your live test? There is one, every state that relocates elk uses the test on animals coming from CWD positive states and the usda is ok with that. The test is 85% accurate. The USDA says that test is not good enough for farmed deer even thou they are the heaviest tested animal in the livestock world? Again they pick and choose. Hence they are not worried to much about what little CWD has done to any herds. The funny part is that they blow this CWD crap out of the waters and then wonder why they are not making as much money as they used to in hunter tag sales! That in itself is going to cause more devastation than CWD ever has or will.

2 hours ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

If they did have to come and put all animals down and not allowed to use said land there should be a tax exemption for those years that it can not be used at a minimum. Should also be reimbursed on lost revenue. It happens with livestock and no offense it is basically the same thing you're raising animals for harvest, no different than a beef farm. Same would happen with mad cow outbreak on a farm. 

2 hours ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

No that was more of a question than putting words in your mouth. Point being when a wild is found it's to late, it's going to spread, so they say! Fence deer they want to kill but only monitor the wild herd? What sense does that make? Every other state that has had CWD has had it spread. Why? It's in the in the system now, ground,plants and animals. How does Ny be the only state with no other cases? From the professionals they say it's not possible? Those deer did not wiz or crap in the woods? Did not eat? Does not add up. As far as your live test? There is one, every state that relocates elk uses the test on animals coming from CWD positive states and the usda is ok with that. The test is 85% accurate. The USDA says that test is not good enough for farmed deer even thou they are the heaviest tested animal in the livestock world? Again they pick and choose. Hence they are not worried to much about what little CWD has done to any herds. The funny part is that they blow this CWD crap out of the waters and then wonder why they are not making as much money as they used to in hunter tag sales! That in itself is going to cause more devastation than CWD ever has or will.

there's going to be things that don't make sense because you're trying to have the captive deer dealt with the same as wild deer. they're effectively two completely different things with their own set of problems. i know there's various live tests that can be done with varying degrees of accuracy. i think age and incubation is a big factor in all of them isn't it? younger deer more likely to produce false negatives? deer aren't really livestock but you're using them and treating them the same. so like i said it has to be accepted for what it is.  if it's as you say, i agree that it doesn't make sense to rely on it to relocate wild elk but not permissible with deer.  i don't know the ins and outs of deer farming regs. i have to think live testing would work knowing some limitations and restrictions to it giving a deer farmer the go ahead to do whatever. wild deer you aren't concerned about boundaries because there are none. captive deer i'd think you want to save your own ass and have solid bottom portions of fence to isolate your deer from wild curious deer. i don't know of many captive deer fences that are like that. also i grew up on a farm, we've had storms and debris take out fencing for cattle. what happens if a quarantined positive herd gets loose because they weren't euthanized? also down south it's not as prevalent and they do some things we really don't up here like controlled burns that would have an impact on those prions just laying there not associated with deer. there's a ton of questions and situations that are beyond me. i'm sure there's things to be improved on both sides of the fence.  CWD effects on license sales isn't really quantifiable unless there's a legit survey out there that says otherwise. i'd think you'd hear about it if there was, so that's probably another debate.

there's going to be things that don't make sense because you're trying to have the captive deer dealt with the same as wild deer. they're effectively two completely different things with their own set of problems. i know there's various live tests that can be done with varying degrees of accuracy. i think age and incubation is a big factor in all of them isn't it? younger deer more likely to produce false negatives? deer aren't really livestock but you're using them and treating them the same. so like i said it has to be accepted for what it is.  if it's as you say, i agree that it doesn't make sense to rely on it to relocate wild elk but not permissible with deer.  i don't know the ins and outs of deer farming regs. i have to think live testing would work knowing some limitations and restrictions to it giving a deer farmer the go ahead to do whatever. wild deer you aren't concerned about boundaries because there are none. captive deer i'd think you want to save your own ass and have solid bottom portions of fence to isolate your deer from wild curious deer. i don't know of many captive deer fences that are like that. also i grew up on a farm, we've had storms and debris take out fencing for cattle. what happens if a quarantined positive herd gets loose because they weren't euthanized? also down south it's not as prevalent and they do some things we really don't up here like controlled burns that would have an impact on those prions just laying there not associated with deer. there's a ton of questions and situations that are beyond me. i'm sure there's things to be improved on both sides of the fence.  CWD effects on license sales isn't really quantifiable unless there's a legit survey out there that says otherwise. i'd think you'd hear about it if there was, so that's probably another debate.

Same disease regardless of which side of the fence they stand. Wild deer should be treated on a more powerful basis as they are the ones running free to spread it countrywide where as penned deer are just that a tested at 100%. If it's already positive on the outside and fenced deer do get out that would not do any more damage as the cats already out of the bag. I am fenced as you speak with double fencing but that won't stop a crow from crapping in my pen after eating positive meat or when I feed them positive grains from positive states. As far a livestock and deer all one has to do is take a look at usda and see the list of qualified animals described as livestock. Point still comes back to the CWD being spread by hunter killed animals as shown. You say it must be accepted for what it is then that must not be a very bad thing because they sure are not taking all avenues to try and stop the spread. Not that it matters as it's not doing any damage to any herds any where and more deer are killed in one night on the highway than will die from CWD in 10 years. It's not a big time killer and hurts nobody.

• 2 weeks later...