2018 mushroom hunting

PREDATE

110 pounds? Fu*k that!
That's hours of cleaning.
8-10 pounds in a day is enough for me.
One trick with chants is to cut the stipe rather than pull from the ground. Also blow off any debris/dirt before it goes in the sack otherwise you're gonna have a bag full of dirty mushrooms.
I've been picking chants for over a month and I'm done with them. Moved on to boletes, chickens, oysters, etc.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

I did the sautéed lightly vacuum and froze, dehydrated some for soups. My friends got 110 lbs today. Might go out tomorrow. Local business paying $15-$20 a pound.

That’s some nice coin ,...anybody else selling their finds? I assume you line up a buyer first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never sold my finds, I like mushrooms too much.

I take it the buyer assumes all liability for accidental poisonings. Aside from that, some people have different sensitivities to certain wild mushrooms.
A can or worms I'm not interested in opening for the sake of a few bucks.

Nice mixed bag from a Tuesday evening. Lobsters, chants, chicken, oysters and coral. Chants were everywhere but I only stopped to pick a few. Found some huge Jack-O-lanterns and a great northern tooth as well.ff79e46def8ab700f5d28ff2e08ddc83.jpgfbf42c317992c150d6782f2bfa753361.jpg28792953417ee5e10272508b31f8bf38.jpg

I tell you guys what.  You guys have a hell of lot more courage than I would have to consume these mushrooms you pluck out of the wild!!  One mistake in identifying these things and you can start foaming at the mouth and going into convulsions if not something worse!!  NO thanks.  I am not the biggest mushroom fan to begin with, but I will stick to the store bought kind when I do decide to eat some.

• Like 2

1. Looks like some kind of chanterelle.
2. Russula.
3. Some bracket fungi and possibly beefsteak mushrooms in the lower left of pic.
4. Possibly a type of chanterelle(yellowfoot maybe) or they could be a type of Hygrocybe.

That coral is a species of Ramaria, tastes pretty good sauteed.
The last pic looks like King Bolete(Porcini) which are very good.
As always, please be 100% sure before consuming. Any time you eat a new type of fungi, only eat a few bites at first and wait to be sure you won't have adverse reactions.

No blanching necessary IMO.
Both of these do very well straight into the pan.
I like to peel the Ramaria into smaller clusters before cooking. They have a nice taste. The thin ends get slightly crispy while the base stays more meaty.

The Boletes do very well with any type of cooking & the flavors are enhanced when dehydrated. Of course it's tough to beat the nutty flavor when sauteed in butter

• Like 1