Best caliber for hunting that works with AR platform

1 hour ago, helmut in the bush said:

If you have to hunt with a semi auto, buy a 7400 or a Bar, and avoid all this bullshit. Those guns are way more comfortable to hunt with than an AR.I get it, why fight it, you don't want to get a charge

Yea i hear you but when you start reading up on them and all the mods that are out there i think maybe it is worth the bs hoops  they make you jump  to get one . 

Yea i hear you but when you start reading up on them and all the mods that are out there i think maybe it is worth the bs hoops  they make you jump  to get one . 

Not really any hoops it either has to have a permanently fixed magazine or not have a pistol grip adjustable stock and muzzle device. It’s really not rocket appliances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Not really any hoops it either has to have a permanently fixed magazine or not have a pistol grip adjustable stock and muzzle device. It’s really not rocket appliances.

Still you have to worry about them changing the law on you or even confiscation in this environment the media has been pushing on us  about the scary black guns .

Edited by Storm914

Still you have to worry about them changing the law on you or even confiscation in this environment the media has been pushing on us  about the scary black guns .

I would worry a lot more about them changing the law if I wanted one and didn’t have one than if I already had it. Confiscation will never happen.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I would worry a lot more about them changing the law if I wanted one and didn’t have one than if I already had it. Confiscation will never happen.

Good point usally once you get something and later they pass a new  law against  it , it gets grandfathered in .

But you never know .

Edited by Storm914

42 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I can guarantee you my guns will never be confiscated.

what guns? must have gotten rid of them a long time ago.

12 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

totally agree. we can't have appliances armed with rockets here in NY. lol

• Like 3

How would they know you have them? If you’re stupid enough to “surrender” them than I guess they could be confiscated but as I said my guns will never be confiscated.

52 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

How would they know you have them?

I have no idea what folks do there. Just sharing that in some places they are actively trying to confiscate.

Though I suppose anyone can rat somebody out. Ex-wife, jilted girlfriend, business competitor, etc.

Edited by Steuben Jerry

On 5/23/2018 at 8:03 PM, helmut in the bush said:

If you have to hunt with a semi auto, buy a 7400 or a Bar, and avoid all this bullshit. Those guns are way more comfortable to hunt with than an AR.I get it, why fight it, you don't want to get a charge

Yep, so just lay down and let the anti-gun jackwagons get their way, and hunt (or shoot) with a less accurate weapon. Its not that hard to gather up the rules and put a gun together that doesnt break the law.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2018 at 10:14 PM, Storm914 said:

You have to worry about that with owning any gun really. Their goal is not just "black guns", they want to severely restrict or ban every gun.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, helmut in the bush said:

The only way it would become too late would be if everyone just layed down like you apparently have. Again, its not hard to own an AR that does not break the law. Just because you dont seem to be able to understand the laws, doesnt mean other people cant.

12 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

The only way it would become too late would be if everyone just layed down like you apparently have. Again, its not hard to own an AR that does not break the law. Just because you dont seem to be able to understand the laws, doesnt mean other people cant.

I live in Ohio so I don't have to deal with your liberal bullshit. I wouldn't hunt in ny with an ar just to avoid issues, if and when you have a encounter with a cop, you have a better than 50% chance he's going to  be a dick, maybe closer to 80%. We should just let the laying down thing go

12 minutes ago, helmut in the bush said:

I live in Ohio so I don't have to deal with your liberal bullshit. I wouldn't hunt in ny with an ar just to avoid issues, if and when you have a encounter with a cop, you have a better than 50% chance he's going to  be a dick, maybe closer to 80%. We should just let the laying down thing go

You are lucky you dont have to deal with it. As long as you have a legal rifle, they can give you all the crap they want, it doesnt matter. I wont lay down just to satisfy the antis.

• Like 1

Most cops don't like the safe act either from those I have talked to at least.  If one is conducting themselves as a responsible adult, I seriously doubt anyone will break chops.  Pin the mag and hunt with it with a 5 round limiter. 

In response to the original question, the 6.8 I sighted in yesterday is pretty quiet, has no kick and has enough power to kill deer and smaller game like yotes if desired.  Seems like a good choice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Most cops don't like the safe act either from those I have talked to at least.  If one is conducting themselves as a responsible adult, I seriously doubt anyone will break chops.  Pin the mag and hunt with it with a 5 round limiter. 

In response to the original question, the 6.8 I sighted in yesterday is pretty quiet, has no kick and has enough power to kill deer and smaller game like yotes if desired.  Seems like a good choice.

Was that the 6.8 SPC?

10 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

Gotcha, thanks. Seem like a pretty accurate round? Seems like a nice alternative to the .300 blackout round.

It was pretty good when I got it sighted in yesterday.  Last 5 shots all in or touching 1" bull at 100yds.  And I was not at my best being a bit exhausted from chainsaw work beforehand.  If I was only buying one AR for deer and yotes, the 6.8 is a great choice (of course I only know its knock down power from research so far).

• Like 2

The worst part about it is they never stop passing new gun laws ok for example if they  ban buttstocks it would  not be the end of the world if they stop there and  make a law that says you will not pass any more new gun laws after every bad thing that happens .

Or else they will  pick away at are rights one little part at a time until we have nothing left.

My buddy built an AR in 300 Blackout for his son.  He likes it well enough, but it's a glorified 30-30 as far as I can tell.  Not a long range caliber IMO.  
Considering that you guys can't shoot or hunt with a suppressor their really is no advantage to a 300 BO.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

• Like 2