Best caliber for hunting that works with AR platform

Tim Kennedy and Joe Rogan were just talking about this very subject last week . It's a touchy subject when you start talking distance shooting .  Some guys take pride in being able to close the distance and some guys just wanna post up and pull the trigger . I like the idea of closing the distance but can also understand when hunting up north or out west when long distance shots are the normal. I don't see the need to shoot long distance in NY at a deer , with minimal work ,one could easily be within 200 yards of a whitetail .

10 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Just go with the AR Mag-loc and keep the pistol grip and any other features youd want.

Caliber wise, if you go 308, 7mm-08, 260 Rem, you are building an AR10. Not that that is a bad thing, but components will run you a little more.

If you want to stick with an AR15, 6.8 SPC, 6.5 Grendel, 458 SOCOM, 50 Beowulf or 450 Bushmaster would all fit the bill.

OK, I seriously am not trying to argue. I have seen full rifles in .308 in shops in the AR platform and they have AR15 on th the price tag.

So, again I am not trying to argue, but are these mom & pop gun shops yanking my chain?

21 minutes ago, Rob... said:

OK, I seriously am not trying to argue. I have seen full rifles in .308 in shops in the AR platform and they have AR15 on th the price tag.

So, again I am not trying to argue, but are these mom & pop gun shops yanking my chain?

Not that I am a expert in ARs

But a fast internet search says this .

What Parts Are Interchangeable Between Ar15 and Ar10. ... The primarydifference between the two is that an AR-15 is bored in 5.56/.223 and an AR-10 is bored in 7.62/.308.

Edited by Storm914

Vast difference in action size I have both the ar10 is alot bigger ..the only thing the same are the stocks and quadrails even the gas tubes and block are different sizes...  Big differance in price to ar15 700$ the ar10 was 1600$

Edited by silent death
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

if you got one labeled 458 socom with an actual 458 socom follower do you think that'd fly or be considered a high cap 5.56 mag? never thought much of it until toying with the idea of getting an ar

19 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Im not really sure honestly. Would be a good question to email the NYSP or your local DA about.

All dependant on the caliber stamped on the barrel. You can't call it a 5.56/.223 if it's a .450/.458 barrel. If that was the case my grandfather's old .410 single would also be a .270 which it isn't.

8 hours ago, Storm914 said:

Not that I am a expert in ARs

But a fast internet search says this .

What Parts Are Interchangeable Between Ar15 and Ar10. ... The primarydifference between the two is that an AR-15 is bored in 5.56/.223 and an AR-10 is bored in 7.62/.308.

The barrel isn't the only thing, the receiver is much larger for the AR10 than the AR15. Everything inside the receiver, stock, and pistol grip can be swapped between the 2 but that is it. 

9 hours ago, Rob... said:

Probably mislabeled, but I wouldn't walk into any shop to buy something without doing my own homework first.  

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Rob... said:

My guess is that they just threw AR15 on the tag. Many don't know the difference between the 2 I have talked to people that constantly refer to the AR10 as an AR15. Either way they are a tactical rifle one is just bigger and heavier than its little brother.

Personally I would go with the .450 bushmaster in the AR15 if I wasn't planning on shooting over 200 yards. That would wallop a deer and still utilize the lightweight platform.

If you want lightweight stay with the ar15 varient rifles my ar10 with scope and bipod weights in at almost 10lbs..I went with the the 308 because the barrel has 5r rifling and 1-10 twist and I can shoot the same ammo out of my 308 bolt rifles ..that's another thing to think about is ammo u don't see 50beowolf or 450bushmaster ammo in mom and pop stores just something to keep in mind

Edited by silent death
  • Like 3

I’m having awesome results with my 358 herrett AR. 180gn sp’s at 2280fps from a 16” tube. Basically a hot 35rem in an ar platform. If I couldn’t put my AR’s on my badge and had to have them featureless I would never hunt with one, makes them too much of a pain. As it is I rarely hunt with them because they’re not enjoyable to carry.

My 358 is a super lightweight build with a pencil barrel polymer lower carbon A2 stock and carbon handguards with a Leopold vx5 1-5 with 5 rounds in the clip it’s 6.1lb. It’s plenty light for all day carry’s just Not comfy but I am warming up to the idea of a serious deer rifle ar now that I have one in 35cal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Tim Kennedy and Joe Rogan were just talking about this very subject last week . It's a touchy subject when you start talking distance shooting .  Some guys take pride in being able to close the distance and some guys just wanna post up and pull the trigger . I like the idea of closing the distance but can also understand when hunting up north or out west when long distance shots are the normal. I don't see the need to shoot long distance in NY at a deer , with minimal work ,one could easily be within 200 yards of a whitetail .

I prefer to be proficient at as long of a range as I can be. The vast majority of deer I have taken have been 200 yards and in, but if old Mr Mossy horns steps out on a field edge at 300, I want to be able to put one in his boiler room. I dont honestly give a rats butt what anyones opinion is of it. I bow hunt to get up close.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

All dependant on the caliber stamped on the barrel. You can't call it a 5.56/.223 if it's a .450/.458 barrel. If that was the case my grandfather's old .410 single would also be a .270 which it isn't.

What if you own multiple uppers? Its not that simple.

• Like 1

As long as they are marked, you would be fine.
At least so one would think in a logical state. Alas we live in a highly illogical one. Based off logic if you had that mag with your .458 and only used it in a .458 gun then should be fine. But I can just see some cuomo lover trying to stretch that to say its high cap even though it only fits 10 .458 socom rounds

You Can't Beat My Meat!!!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

At least so one would think in a logical state. Alas we live in a highly illogical one. Based off logic if you had that mag with your .458 and only used it in a .458 gun then should be fine. But I can just see some cuomo lover trying to stretch that to say its high cap even though it only fits 10 .458 socom rounds

I hear what you are saying. Those ones have the 458 follower in them plus they are marked on the outside, I dont think any court in the state is going to try and misconstrue what they are.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

To be honest unless you own your own property or use the ar just for coyote hunting at night you will get harrassed bye any leo or at least get a rifle check for compliance that's the sad part about today I have heard many story's of people getting into argumants with a Leo just because of a pinned mag ...it's a sad world we live in today 

Edited by silent death
  • Like 1

I hear what you are saying. Those ones have the 458 follower in them plus they are marked on the outside, I dont think any court in the state is going to try and misconstrue what they are.
That's what I would hope and any defense attorney worth their salt should easily be able to fight that. Also it's been said arpund the net from people that actually talked to cops that most really don't care about the gun and usually only go after its legal status as an addition to other charges that prompted the interaction

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

That's what I would hope and any defense attorney worth their salt should easily be able to fight that. Also it's been said arpund the net from people that actually talked to cops that most really don't care about the gun and usually only go after its legal status as an addition to other charges that prompted the interaction

Yep. Just dont get caught with weed, money and your 458 all at the same time and you probably wont have much to worry about. The DA in our county has made statements about what he will not prosecute for in regards to ARs.

• Like 2

Yep. Just dont get caught with weed, money and your 458 all at the same time and you probably wont have much to worry about. The DA in our county has made statements about what he will not prosecute for in regards to ARs.
Well lucky for me all are in short supply for me these days. Ahahah. Left haven't partaken since college almost 10 years ago, and my 458 is in pieces along with my lack of cash ahaha

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

What if you own multiple uppers? Its not that simple.

You would think it is, but I wouldn't put it past the state to charge a person for it, BUT if it is a fixed mag style gun then with the .450 upper attached they wouldn't have a leg to stand on. The problem is when it's detachable so going featureless with detachable mag could get you in a lot of trouble.

5 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

You would think it is, but I wouldn't put it past the state to charge a person for it, BUT if it is a fixed mag style gun then with the .450 upper attached they wouldn't have a leg to stand on. The problem is when it's detachable so going featureless with detachable mag could get you in a lot of trouble.

Sure, if you have a pinned mag, but you dont need a pinned mag to be legal.

Actually, I take that back. Still need the correct follower and markings. You can have a 458 mag pinned in your lower and still slap a 556 upper on it.

• Like 2