Best caliber for hunting that works with AR platform

4 hours ago, G-Man said:

You are responsible.. I can show you many bullet holes in barn from long range rounds that people miss and dont think about what is behind their target.  90% of people have no reason for a long range round when hunting . It simply becomes the motive for over gunning. If your going someplace where long range shots are expected you gear appropriately.  An ar platform for deer in nys 30 30 is more than enough  for 99% of its terrain

As far as shooting holes in buildings, I know of more shotgun slug holes than  HV rifle holes...Irresponsible  shooters are dangerous with any weapon...I'm betting  that 30-30s in the hands of irresponsible people account for as many  holes in buildings than longer range rounds...   The danger of a long range round going way off in the distance and striking a person or a building  are like the odds of being struck by lightning...Look at that accident stats since rifles have been made legal in the southern tier...They have gone down, and most accidents that have occurred have been at ranges that they would have occurred with shotguns...

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Pygmy said:

As far as shooting holes in buildings, I know of more shotgun slug holes than  HV rifle holes...Irresponsible  shooters are dangerous with any weapon...I'm betting  that 30-30s in the hands of irresponsible people account for as many  holes in buildings than longer range rounds...   The danger of a long range round going way off in the distance and striking a person or a building  are like the odds of being struck by lightning...Look at that accident stats since rifles have been made legal in the southern tier...They have gone down, and most accidents that have occurred have been at ranges that they would have occurred with shotguns...

If some one is stupid don't  matter a guy managed to shoot someone with a hand gun while hunting this year. 

If you don’t reload and want a ar15 I think a 450bushmaster is hard to beat. I had a 458 socom but find the bushy to be more versatile and factory ammo is becoming more and more available. I think a 300bo is anemic at best and wouldn’t be in my top 10 deer cartridges very light bullets for caliber. The various 6.5’s are intriguing but not my style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

If you don’t reload and want a ar15 I think a 450bushmaster is hard to beat. I had a 458 socom but find the bushy to be more versatile and factory ammo is becoming more and more available. I think a 300bo is anemic at best and wouldn’t be in my top 10 deer cartridges very light bullets for caliber. The various 6.5’s are intriguing but not my style.

I couldn't agree more. The .300 B.O. round was intended to be shot subsonic using cans. Kind of useless for us here in NY. Although the Subsonic round would be nice for popping yotes out the back window of the house and not waking up the neighbors and kids.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

This thread has me seriously thinking about a 7mm-08 in an AR platform for deer AND coyotes. I love the 7mm-08, and I'm finally set up to reload for it too. Just can't get out of my mind, 'how cool would that be'! I'm currently saving for a coyote rig, but with this I could get more use? And double the fun.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, grampy said:

This thread has me seriously thinking about a 7mm-08 in an AR platform for deer AND coyotes. I love the 7mm-08, and I'm finally set up to reload for it too. Just can't get out of my mind, 'how cool would that be'! I'm currently saving for a coyote rig, but with this I could get more use? And double the fun.

They just started making the 6.5cm in the ar10 platform to. Not a bad option from 120gr to 143gr it's good for deer and the yotes. The number one mistake people make is just how fast ammo goes when u have a semi auto my cousin found out how expensive ammo was real quick when he bought his ar10 in 308 and he would go out and just do some plinking and I laughed at him he would blow through  ammo messing around and I was like there goes 40bucks 

Edited by silent death
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, grampy said:

Yes, that is another great option! I have a bolt action 7mm-08 and lots of brass though. But the 6.5cm has caught my attention, no doubt! 

There's a reason why I have three :) I have the Ruger precision and a remington 700 tactical in 6.5 and a  all stainless Savage ...the 6.5 creedmores are still pricey in the ar10 platform yet ..

Edited by silent death

4 minutes ago, silent death said:

There's a reason why I have three :) I have the Ruger precision and a remington 700 tactical in 6.5 and a  all stainless Savage 

That Ruger Precision looks REALLY nice!  Can get all the bells and whistles on it too, being a bolt rifle. That may be the way to go for me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chas0218 said:

I couldn't agree more. The .300 B.O. round was intended to be shot subsonic using cans. Kind of useless for us here in NY. Although the Subsonic round would be nice for popping yotes out the back window of the house and not waking up the neighbors and kids.

Shot a 300 BO with a can that a friend owns.

I'd have to buy one of those automatic progressive presses to keep it fed, just loads of fun.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grampy said:

I think either DPMS or Rock River has an AR10 available in 7-08. If not, it would be easy to put together yourself. Like big boy leggos.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, silent death said:

Get one you won't regret it ...they are heavy though but they are a awesome field rifle for coyotes and deer 

IMG_20180523_090713.jpg

Yep, very nice, but they are real heavy. Thought about one for my yote gun, but way too heavy for my liking. It would be a fun bench gun though.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Yep, very nice, but they are real heavy. Thought about one for my yote gun, but way too heavy for my liking. It would be a fun bench gun though.

Indeed it is a heavy rifle. But I won't be carrying it over mountains in the adirondacks. Just on our 500 or so acres. I also think the extra weight will make it more stable, for those longer 300 plus yard shots, that we sometimes have on coyotes here. Would enjoy the trigger time, learning to shoot at longer ranges too! Have been doing that a bit with the 270 Sako.   Deer hunting opportunities here are still mostly under 75 yards though. But there are a couple long range set up's for deer, that a rifle like this could be used for. Not really looking for, or want multiple quick shots. Just one accurate one. And it just looks so darned cool! 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, grampy said:

Indeed it is a heavy rifle. But I won't be carrying it over mountains in the adirondacks. Just on our 500 or so acres. I also think the extra weight will make it more stable, for those longer 300 plus yard shots, that we sometimes have on coyotes here. Would enjoy the trigger time, learning to shoot at longer ranges too! Have been doing that a bit with the 270 Sako.   Deer hunting opportunities here are still mostly under 75 yards though. But there are a couple long range set up's for deer, that a rifle like this could be used for. Not really looking for, or want multiple quick shots. Just one accurate one. And it just looks so darned cool! 

The nice part is there's hardly any felt recoil at all with the rpr ....there's not many light weight tactical or varmint rifles anyways really all mine weight 12 pounds or more with the scopes and sitting bipods... The bull barrels weight alot .

Edited by silent death
  • Like 1

that's about the weight of my Savage Model 12 varmint setup in 223 Rem. agreed.  if i need something lighter and fast handling my current deer rifle is half that.  i've thought about the precision rifle too. my wish list is long though which has stalled many purchases.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grampy said:

Yeah it wouldnt be horrible. I am switching over from a sitting, bipod style of coyote hunting at night, to a standing, gun on a tripod with a cradle style this year. The downside would be lack of a quick follow up.

• Like 1

there is a company out on long island that makes a lower that is fixed for  5 round .
And 10 round 
And if you move to a state with different laws will change it for you for   $100 anytime  to the normal receiver detacable mag type . 

Or you can drill 2 holes and put a poor out in the mag for 25 cents and if you move you can drill it out. Before I was able to put them on my badge that’s what my fixed mag ar’s had

4 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Or you can drill 2 holes and put a poor out in the mag for 25 cents and if you move you can drill it out. Before I was able to put them on my badge that’s what my fixed mag ar’s had

Really that is all it takes .

But is it legal to buy the lower if is not already fixed from the factory  shipped to a  FFl and buy it stock like that? 

See this is why I shy away from them and others  also probably.  I dont want to worry about breaking the law that I don't really know about .

I rather just pick it up already pinned fixed FROM FFl and not worry about it . 

Yea absolutely legal, you can buy a lower anyway you want. Because you could have a featureless stock and then the mag wouldn’t need to be pinned. Before I had them on my badge I had 3 lowers and 9 or 10 uppers and could make any of them legal or illegal with 2 pins.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, helmut in the bush said:

If you have to hunt with a semi auto, buy a 7400 or a Bar, and avoid all this bullshit. Those guns are way more comfortable to hunt with than an AR.I get it, why fight it, you don't want to get a charge

Your opinion on comfort, im way more comfortable carrying a AR than any other rifle.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Yea absolutely legal, you can buy a lower anyway you want. Because you could have a featureless stock and then the mag wouldn’t need to be pinned. Before I had them on my badge I had 3 lowers and 9 or 10 uppers and could make any of them legal or illegal with 2 pins.

Ok that makes sense   that is the thing they make you start secound guessing yourself  about this stuff  .

Just to buy a gun that really fuctions no different then any other . Maybe i  should just buy a bar or use my dads old rem woodmaster 

And stay out of the evil black  gun market .lol 

If i want to hunt deer with semi automatic.

Edited by Storm914