Best caliber for hunting that works with AR platform

5 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Sure, if you have a pinned mag, but you dont need a pinned mag to be legal.

Nope there's alot of different varients ...you got the spur the pinned mag and then the ugly waffle grip as I call it lol but the pinned mag would probebly cause you some headaches IAM sure....that evil pistol grip scares people 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, silent death said:

Nope there's alot of different varients ...you got the spur the pinned mag and then the ugly waffle grip as I call it lol but the pinned mag would probebly cause you some headaches IAM sure....that evil pistol grip scares people 

AR Mag-locs really frighten them lol. Damn snowflakes.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chas0218 said:

All dependant on the caliber stamped on the barrel. You can't call it a 5.56/.223 if it's a .450/.458 barrel. If that was the case my grandfather's old .410 single would also be a .270 which it isn't.

i get what you're saying and agree, but the context of my post had nothing to do with the actual firearm. it's all related to owning a high capacity magazine.  standard 5.56 mags can be used with a 458 socom without any modifications i believe. doesn't matter that your using it for only a 458. as is it'd be able to hold a function with more 10 rounds of 5.56/223. you don't even have to have a gun, just the mag itself is illegal.  i'd think if it was stamped 458 socom and had a follower with a centered groove so that 5.56 rounds wouldn't align right in a double stack configuration to function then logic would say it's perfectly legal. not sure that's been confirmed though. it means a lot. only being able to load less than a handful of rounds into a mag doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy.

23 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Sure, if you have a pinned mag, but you dont need a pinned mag to be legal.

Actually, I take that back. Still need the correct follower and markings. You can have a 458 mag pinned in your lower and still slap a 556 upper on it.

Yup, there in lies the issue.

3 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

i get what you're saying and agree, but the context of my post had nothing to do with the actual firearm. it's all related to owning a high capacity magazine.  standard 5.56 mags can be used with a 458 socom without any modifications i believe. doesn't matter that your using it for only a 458. as is it'd be able to hold a function with more 10 rounds of 5.56/223. you don't even have to have a gun, just the mag itself is illegal.  i'd think if it was stamped 458 socom and had a follower with a centered groove so that 5.56 rounds wouldn't align right in a double stack configuration to function then logic would say it's perfectly legal. not sure that's been confirmed though. it means a lot. only being able to load less than a handful of rounds into a mag doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy.

I get that but I'm saying is that it wouldn't be high capacity if it was paired with the .450/.458 upper. High capacity is defined as holding more than 10 rounds. So if you can only fit 10 rounds it is not high capacity. Now if you were to do something illegal like load it with 5.56/.223 rounds then it would be considered high capacity. The only way to guarantee to not get your ass in a bind is to use 10rnd. mag and only hold 5 of the .450/.458 

See, this is exactly why NYS doesnt spell out specifics on half of their gun related laws. It makes everyone afraid of their own shadows, so many just dont bother to own any of it. Its basically a way to try and ban something without actually banning it.

I cant wait till my kids are out of school and I move to Tennessee, you know, an actual free state.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

See, this is exactly why NYS doesnt spell out specifics on half of their gun related laws. It makes everyone afraid of their own shadows, so many just dont bother to own any of it. Its basically a way to try and ban something without actually banning it.

I cant wait till my kids are out of school and I move to Tennessee, you know, an actual free state.

It's free for now but this liberal flu is spreading like wild fire 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

I get that but I'm saying is that it wouldn't be high capacity if it was paired with the .450/.458 upper. High capacity is defined as holding more than 10 rounds. So if you can only fit 10 rounds it is not high capacity. Now if you were to do something illegal like load it with 5.56/.223 rounds then it would be considered high capacity. The only way to guarantee to not get your ass in a bind is to use 10rnd. mag and only hold 5 of the .450/.458 

You are only allowed a 5 round mag for hunting anyways in NY in a semi auto rifle I believe ...but that's besides the point some of these laws make no sense what so ever...all feel good measures

4 minutes ago, silent death said:

It's free for now but this liberal flu is spreading like wild fire 

Oh yes it is. I spend alot of time down there and cant say as Ive ever met or talked to a liberal down there. Not even in the cities. Hopefully it stays that way.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, silent death said:

To be honest unless you own your own property or use the ar just for coyote hunting at night you will get harrassed bye any leo or at least get a rifle check for compliance that's the sad part about today I have heard many story's of people getting into argumants with a Leo just because of a pinned mag ...it's a sad world we live in today 

In my area they won't harass you unless they get complaints of someone shooting too close to a house or something of that extent. I have talked to some of the locals and troopers in our area about it. They have said that if they want to check it they will look at the mag size and then press the mag release button. IF nothing happens (mag stays put) then you're good. If you explain that it is a .450/.458 and that you can only fit the 10 should understand. 

My SIL boy friend is a town cop and has no clue about guns other than the pistols he carries along with how to operate the guns in their arsenal. So if he stopped someone he wouldn't have a clue about it. He has told me that he has told people to cover it up after he has pulled them over. He also asks them to step out of the car if it is in plain sight.

Back to the OP I think the .450/.458 would make a killer deer gun if you want DRT kind of results. I think there are a few others that will also give you those results in smaller calibers. The Rem. 6.8 SPC is a good round. .300 blackout would make a good deer round. All these would be 200-300 yards or less effective range. I mean if they can take a hog at those ranges then it shouldn't have a problem taking a deer. 6.5 creedmore and Grendel are also great rounds and will reach out a lot further. I don't think the .450/.458 out past 200 will be as accurate as the smaller faster cartridges although it has a better B.C. than some.

What is your end goal? Long range? Short Range? Both? Accuracy and precision? At what range can you be accurate?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

In my area they won't harass you unless they get complaints of someone shooting too close to a house or something of that extent. I have talked to some of the locals and troopers in our area about it. They have said that if they want to check it they will look at the mag size and then press the mag release button. IF nothing happens (mag stays put) then you're good. If you explain that it is a .450/.458 and that you can only fit the 10 should understand. 

My SIL boy friend is a town cop and has no clue about guns other than the pistols he carries along with how to operate the guns in their arsenal. So if he stopped someone he wouldn't have a clue about it. He has told me that he has told people to cover it up after he has pulled them over. He also asks them to step out of the car if it is in plain sight.

Back to the OP I think the .450/.458 would make a killer deer gun if you want DRT kind of results. I think there are a few others that will also give you those results in smaller calibers. The Rem. 6.8 SPC is a good round. .300 blackout would make a good deer round. All these would be 200-300 yards or less effective range. I mean if they can take a hog at those ranges then it shouldn't have a problem taking a deer. 6.5 creedmore and Grendel are also great rounds and will reach out a lot further. I don't think the .450/.458 out past 200 will be as accurate as the smaller faster cartridges although it has a better B.C. than some.

What is your end goal? Long range? Short Range? Both? Accuracy and precision? At what range can you be accurate?

I didn't start this thread lol it wasn't my question I have precision rifles for long range or short range ..

Edited by silent death
  • Like 1

And your cost of living will plummet. And the food albeit painfully unhealthy is quote delicious

You Can't Beat My Meat!!!

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

AR Mag-locs really frighten them lol. Damn snowflakes.

there's so many mods out there to get around the NY SAFE Act. I learn a new one everyday I'm at the rod and gun club next door. newest one that addresses safety issues with some of them when having a jam or similar malfunction is flipping a spring and dremel one of the pins. i forget the exact ones to for better reference, but it makes it into a repeater and not a semi-auto. each fired round had the slide locked back. you push the slide release button though and it loads another.  it's a permanent mod that allows whatever features you want. even another accessory to add on that's a bulky lever positioned close to your shooting hand to more easily and quickly hit the slide release. still a slippery slope though as i'm not sure if it's a valid fix if you can just hold the button down and fire what is effectively semi-auto.

7 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

And your cost of living will plummet. And the food albeit painfully unhealthy is quote delicious

not to derail things you can shoot a LOT of deer in tenessee. i have heard they're back off a bit though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, silent death said:

I didn't start this thread lol it wasn't my question I have precision rifles for long range or short range ..

No I was referring to the OP with the questions. I'll admit I'm a shooter in many people's eyes. For me deer hunting is all about the challenge. If I have a rifle I want a challenge and don't setup right on deer so I have to take a longer shot that are more challenging for me. When I'm bowhunting I setup right on the deer as there are many more variables that effect success other than range. Not to mention the range is much more limited with my bow.

9 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

there's so many mods out there to get around the NY SAFE Act. I learn a new one everyday I'm at the rod and gun club next door. newest one that addresses safety issues with some of them when having a jam or similar malfunction is flipping a spring and dremel one of the pins. i forget the exact ones to for better reference, but it makes it into a repeater and not a semi-auto. each fired round had the slide locked back. you push the slide release button though and it loads another.  it's a permanent mod that allows whatever features you want. even another accessory to add on that's a bulky lever positioned close to your shooting hand to more easily and quickly hit the slide release. still a slippery slope though as i'm not sure if it's a valid fix if you can just hold the button down and fire what is effectively semi-auto.

But what they don't know won't hurt them....

• Like 1

Thats the tier 5 you're talking about. Think a DA clarified that's not a legal option since you can hold down the lever and it returns to semi defeating the purpose

16 hours ago, Pygmy said:

You have made it clear previously that you consider  people who shoot at long ranges "shooters"  rather than "hunters"...

I have no problem that being your opinion...Of course, you know what they say about OPINIONS..Hehehe..

I will accept being a shooter rather than a hunter in your OPINION...

The area that many of the deer that I hunt  appear in my murder plot is 225 yards from my stand...I can shoot up to 330 yards from that stand..  When I was hunting in Pa, I hunted a spot that often offered shots at 300-400 yards...I killed a few deer at those ranges and thought that it was pretty cool, and I have shot my share  at close range in the woods over the last  50 + years...

Now with the hunting I have done out  west, in Alaska, and in northern Canada, often 200 yards is no where near far enough...

You are responsible.. I can show you many bullet holes in barn from long range rounds that people miss and dont think about what is behind their target.  90% of people have no reason for a long range round when hunting . It simply becomes the motive for over gunning. If your going someplace where long range shots are expected you gear appropriately.  An ar platform for deer in nys 30 30 is more than enough  for 99% of its terrain

What would one consider a long range round to be  ? Just wondering because 6.5 creedmore 308 7mm 300wm all are long range capable ...I bet more people use 308 and 30-06 for deer in NY than any other caliber . Use what u want get to be good with it and know your surroundings .

Edited by silent death
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, G-Man said:

You are responsible.. I can show you many bullet holes in barn from long range rounds that people miss and dont think about what is behind their target.  90% of people have no reason for a long range round when hunting . It simply becomes the motive for over gunning. If your going someplace where long range shots are expected you gear appropriately.  An ar platform for deer in nys 30 30 is more than enough  for 99% of its terrain

i understand the message of your post, i think.  however, your numbers of 90% and 99% seem a bit off and exaggerated.  i personally don't hunt with a 30-30 because of its range limitations.  for about the past decade i've taken at least one deer with a rifle each year and think back, almost all, were over 200 and under 325 or so yards away. growing up our deer rifles for as long as i remember where zero'd at 200 yards.

I know it’s killed a lot of deer and I’ve killed my share with a 30-30 but I have never been overly happy with the results. There are other options I pick before a 30-30 that have the same or less recoil that have killed better for me and extend the range if I need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2