Worst Employment Ever Held

Salmon_Run

Helping out an elderly farmer with his 2X hay balling sessions one summer while still in HS. Anyone that had done this years ago knows each square bale had to be man-handled 3X from lying in the field to stacked in the loft. Did get a better appreciation for farming and doing better in the classroom.

• Like 4

Worst job I ever had was when I did a tour of duty on a Greek Vaseline freighter where all the doorways were 3 feet off the deck...That job was a REAL pain in the butt !

I turned down as job as a towel boy in a San Francisco bath house when they told me to report for work with my undershorts on backwards....

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Worst job I ever had was when I did a tour of duty on a Greek Vaseline freighter where all the doorways were 3 feet off the deck...That job was a REAL pain in the butt !

I turned down as job as a towel boy in a San Francisco bath house when they told me to report for work with my undershorts on backwards....

Pygmy, why was the greek guy in such a rush to leave home??

Answer:  He didn't like the way he was being reared.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

Helping out an elderly farmer with his 2X hay balling sessions one summer while still in HS. Anyone that had done this years ago knows each square bale had to be man-handled 3X from lying in the field to stacked in the loft. Did get a better appreciation for farming and doing better in the classroom.

I did straw a couple summers for a farmer , of course I wore shorts everyday and came home with my legs covered in blood.

• Like 1

Also worked a summer as mason tender and stacking raw lumber at a lumber yard.

A old blind guy worked at the lumber yard stacking lumber and he claimed he could always tell what type of lumber he was stacking just by smell. He proved to be very accurate until one day after lunch we convinced the yard secretary to climb on top of the pile to be stacked and we all gathered about to test the old guy. Well she took it a step further and stripped naked; well, we told him he could only smell and NOT touch the lumber.

She laid on her stomach first and he smell deeply and asked if we could turn the board over, she quietly turned onto her back and he sniffed again deeply and proclaimed "I got it!"

I know exactly what that is "it's the s**t house door on a tuna boat !!!" and we all went back to work....

Have a safe weekend !!!!!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, steve863 said:

Pygmy, why was the greek guy in such a rush to leave home??

Answer:  He didn't like the way he was being reared.

How do they separate the men from the boys in Greece ?

With a CROWBAR....

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Where's belo when you need Him ?

He should be chiming in now to call us bigots for telling ethnic jokes

I may be a bigot, but at least I am an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY bigot.  Blacks, Hispanics, Jews, Muslims, Italians, Poles, Irish, etc. all get equal treatment from me!  LOL

Edited by steve863
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I may be a bigot, but at least I am an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY bigot.  Blacks, Hispanics, Jews, Muslims, Italians, Poles, Irish, etc. all get equal treatment from me!  LOL

Don't forget homosexuals and women....We wouldn't want THEM to feel left out !

Growing up in the country a half hour from town with no transportation farm work was pretty much all that was available to me in my early teens. Occasionally some yard work and snow shoveling would be offered. None of it was what I would call pleasant.

Dairy farms was helping with milking, feeding cows and haying.

Crop farms, was planting and harvesting along with irrigation on some crops. Beans, Beets and Brussels Sprouts is what the farms I worked on grew.

$7.00 a day was the most I made and I was damned glad to get it.

Al

Edited by airedale

i grew up on the family farm, but that wasn't a job so it doesn't count. even if it did it wouldn't be the worst.

my last job i had 10 years ago was the worst. I was hired as an electrical engineer. Intent was to help my boss lighten his work load. instead his boss thought it'd be cool to have me become his "apprentice" if you will. gave me lots of tasks that was nothing really in line with helping my boss. i was fresh out of school so i couldn't steer my own ship with the day to day tasks. often i'd have to brief my boss on my to do list for his boss, which was effecting my ability to get his list done.  every day i ate lunch with maintenance group and my boss, all i'd hear is how horrible things were to work there.  people were great though including my boss that shit canned me in the end.  the situation was just a mess.

• Sad 1

In college, my buddies and I signed up for campus night security.  They make you buy your own flashlight.  I head to head home to NY so for a week so my start date was a week after my friends.  When I got back from NY, my buddy told me not to go in because he quick after a couple of days.  Having to deal with homeless squatters, drunks, etc.  Arm with only a flash light you had to buy yourself was not worth minimum wage.  Doesn't really count since I never actually worked the job.

Later on, I worked a Hudson which is their equivalent to Macy's.  After almost a year, I had asked for Christmas off to go home since I was an out-of-state student but my manager told me that no one gets that time off since it was the busiest time of the year.  I was okay with that explanation.  As we got closer to the holiday, I found out that this other person who was hired several months ago got the week off and he lives less than a mile away.  When the time came, I didn't tell my manager and simply went home.

More recently, I had to work for a boss who absolutely knew nothing about the job and had us running around in circles wasting our time.  Really put the whip to our backs doing nothing productive.  Anyone who called him out was fired.  I really thought about quitting.  Eventually, he figured out that I actually knew what I was doing and I was actually doing his job.  Often times, people would come to me about policy decisions instead of him.  He realized I was doing his job and keeping him alive, he left me along and gave me full autonomy so I didn't mind it as much after that.  The storm had passed and I survived through it.  Sometimes I wouldn't see him for weeks.  I came and went as I please and that was when I was on huntingny constantly.  That all eventually came to an end.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2018 at 3:51 PM, grampy said:

Worked in a slaughterhouse for beef and pork.  It stunk bad in the summer, never did get used to it.  Was low man, so got all the crap jobs.  But I did learn how to cut meat!  And still use that skill today!

Tobin Packing? My grandfather worked there as a machinist until he retired in the early 80s. 

Working at a landfill (/DUMP!) doing regulatory compliance inspections. Stunk to hell and sometimes wading through garbage knee deep. Working for scumbags that could care less about environmental regulatory compliance, environmental stewardship, or worker safety. After seeing their business first hand and their lack of concern for stream and air pollution, I am against landfills/ DUMPS! "Dilution is the solution to pollution" mentality (aka. Hide it)!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I worked as a nurses aid in a nursing home just out of high school. 

Wiping ass.., cleaning puke.., shaving old ladies beards.., putting in dentures..., changing catheter bags and bed pans... getting shit thrown at me (literally)..... I could go on and on with all the great stories.

Finally got put on third shift with a few of the gals that took a liking to me. I didn't have to do much of anything at that point and just sat at the desk at night answering creepy call bells on a unit where most of the residents couldn't even walk or talk.

As much as the job was a little much for my liking some days, and didn't pay much, it was a rather rewarding feeling after my shift helping those old folks who couldn't do things for themselves anymore.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2018 at 7:45 PM, Tughill Tamer said:

My first job at 16 was a door to door vacuum salesman. I got the crappy route of course being new. I was trying to sell $1000 dollar vacuums to houses with hardly any carpet who had a 1976 pinto for a car.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Still got one around ? Moog needs one for his carpeted truck bed liner :pleasantry:

Working at a lab where we looked at the effects of obesity in the brain for adolescence. It was interesting work, but my boss had it out for me from day one. She actually was mad when she found out I would be working there and made my time there hell when she was there. It got a little boring looking at books of data and running the stats on it, but obtaining the data was always fun. 

Edited by ATbuckhunter

I worked a day for a guy who though he was going to set the home furnishing world on fire with some handcrafted Queen Anne reproduction furniture. I grew up doing that stuff and he was clueless.

But that bad part was he rented a building in the middle of an operating scrap metal yard, that smelled of diesel fuel, roof was leaking all over, next to a sewage treatment plant, and just outside the front door they were using a track-hoe with a hammer to break weldments off a bridge demo. project.

Trying to layout dovetails and do precision work when the floor is vibrating and you can't hear, dodging rain drops inside, was ridiculous.

I didn't even ask for the days pay, just never went back.

Did some repairs in a local slaughterhouse for the owners, eh, everything felt greasy and smelled of death. But that payed well, so no complaints for a few days.