Worst Employment Ever Held

Salmon_Run

Had some doozies, but most of the time it wasn't the work, so much as the co-workers. The worst was a job in high school calling people on the phone to take surveys, mind-numbingly boring, and the average person doesn't want to have their dinner interrupted to be asked what movies they watched this month or who they plan to vote for in the next election.

I worked for a roofing company when I was 15 for like a day. The guy wanted me to carry two bundles of shingles up a ladder. I said I can’t carry two on one shoulder he said you carry one on each shoulder. Then I asked so what to you hold on the ladder with. He said you don’t you just walk up no hands. 

I walked the next day 

Edited by sodfather
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, sodfather said:

I worked for a roofing company when I was 15 for like a day. The guy wanted me to carry two bundles of shingles up a ladder. I said I can’t carry two on one shoulder he said you carry one on each shoulder. Then I asked so what to you hold on the ladder with. He said you don’t you just walk up no hands. 

I walked the next day 

Roofing sucks , I did it for a summer when I was laid off . Long hours ,garbage pay and hard work. Coming home every night with heat exhaustion or on the verge of it.

My biggest complaint of my working career was the miserable old guys giving me shit everyday. I started a skilled trade actually still in high school ,I was always the young kid in every shop and there was always that rotten SOB that tried to make me the punchline of his misery. 

1 hour ago, sodfather said:

I walked the next day 

yeah that job does suck.  I did one roofing job and i was the bring the shingles, cut the boards etc etc man.  He was a jerk!  I would cut the board the size they wanted and bring it up the ladder - he would yell - we need those board just throw them up here- everyone looks at him like an idiot and i threw it.  Almost knocked him off the roof. So 12 hour day of doing that and a whole lot of shingles.  And he was paying everyone by the day - well in a crew of 8 eight guys he didnt have enough for three of us.  Yeah didnt go back the next day or ever.  Guessing that was his plan the whole time to work a bunch and get most of it done and stiff the rest cause he didnt need them anymore.  

only saving grace was it was a neighbors house and he was a good guy.  

• Like 1

Bouncer at inner city strip club.  Paid well but lots of fights.

For about 3 weeks I worked the graveyard shift at a mobil gas station only on Sat and Sun.  I could not adjust to changing my sleep schedule for weekends only and learned it was easier to toss unruly customers out of bars and it paid better too.

Haven't really held many jobs - bouncer/security and lawyer.

• Like 1