My off grid journal

Single_shot

Well may as well start this now as quite a bit has happened. I was here for 2 weeks and found a job, it didn't pay very well and was very demanding, but it was paying the bills. I was piling rough cut lumber at a real nice indoors mill. It lasted 5 weeks. Then last Friday, at lunchtime, the owner told us he sold the mill. Well, ain't that a kick in the junk. I can collect unemployment from my last job until I get another job atleast. At this time I am getting trees out of the way so I can put the addition on. I got the permit yesterday. I am waiting for the timber guy to call me with a price on the timber I have. That will pay for the new fridge and stove. The backhoe is a big help with the firewood and is good for removing the stumps. So far so good I suppose.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

Picked up the lumber for the footings , base frame, and floor, nails and joist hangers. I need to make another run for more lumber tomorrow and pick up the 6x6 stand offs that I forgot yesterday. Probably get all the studs and some of the plywood. Not sure if I can haul it all in one trip. My help hard at work. And a picture of the real work horses .dac5b6ee99079a2de6da585a1b73fffb.jpg7cb17fd204ffde3620a7178005f3337f.jpg4015bfc3660cd253dafa58282c440c67.jpg

Haha, yeah I keep old jugs over the pins in hopes it would be more difficult to get hurt if someone fell. After my addition is done, then I'm allowed to throw shoes...mamma's rules

Did I spot horseshoe pits,with the water jug over the stake ? When is  the shoe tournament?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Got the footings down 4ft on Crete and the OK from the building inspector! Tomorrow I will have the posts notched and outside boards bolted and get the floor joists and hangers / floor down. Maybe get some framing done.

I could really use some help from a framer/builder at this time. I need to know if I need to cut through the OSB to expose the existing studs. Do I need to double them up to tie in with the addition? The door will be centered and then 2 steps down into the addition. I'm not sure how to tie the framing in. I also suppose I need to remove all of the siding in between as I want the first rafter nailed directly to the existing wall studs.fd44f52eb7f38ae6e0ee40e3c07af5b6.jpgd8b549e2cb9448e81a3990ce3f9a4cf3.jpg

Can you post a pic from inside the existing building? It looks like a pole barn. That 6x6 goes up to the roof header and can not be cut out. It looks like board and batten siding on the exterior and osb boards on the inside, I'm not sure do you have 2x4 studding inside of that? You will need a solid tie into the existing building like a corner post. You will probably have to add 2x4 to make the connection solid.

Are you planning on a shed roof tied to the building under the existing metal roof or a reverse gable tied into the roof with a valley? 

Can you post a pic from inside the existing building? It looks like a pole barn. That 6x6 goes up to the roof header and can not be cut out. It looks like board and batten siding on the exterior and osb boards on the inside, I'm not sure do you have 2x4 studding inside of that? You will need a solid tie into the existing building like a corner post. You will probably have to add 2x4 to make the connection solid.
Are you planning on a shed roof tied to the building under the existing metal roof or a reverse gable tied into the roof with a valley? 
The 6x6 is only to the bottom of the floor. This is an Adirondack style cabin with all rough cut. The studs are actual 2 x 6.

So there is a platform(floor) with 2x6 studded walls with osb sheathing, and the b&b siding is placed over with 2x4 horizontal furring? You should cut back the b&b and furring down to the osb, you can nail the new walls to the osb just put in backing ( studs) to make a corner post for nailing the walls to. You will have to cut back the siding enough to be able to flash the new roof including the overhangs(gutters/facia).

Thanks! That seems to be working well. I removed all the b&b for now as it is just easier to cut/trim it afterwards VS trying to notch etc. 20d4" are connecting walls and first set of 2x8 rafters. The outside width is just under 10ft so each rafter length will be a short run even with a 12" overhang. I'm not going to get the pitch I was looking for so I will be going overkill on roof framing.

So there is a platform(floor) with 2x6 studded walls with osb sheathing, and the b&b siding is placed over with 2x4 horizontal furring? You should cut back the b&b and furring down to the osb, you can nail the new walls to the osb just put in backing ( studs) to make a corner post for nailing the walls to. You will have to cut back the siding enough to be able to flash the new roof including the overhangs(gutters/facia).