Memorial day

mowin

7 minutes ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Too all my fellow veterans combat and not happy memorial day. May we all realize the sacrifices that were made for us to enjoy what we have and to look forward to. May he rest in peace my best friend Richard Rosas Operation Iraqi freedom 5/24/2004. RIP BROTHER. HOOAH.

Sorry for your loss.  Your so correct it's not a "happy" day. It's a day to reflect and to honor those who paid the ultimate sacrifice.  

• Like 1

And also my dear friend and hunting and fishing buddy, PFC James Randall,  3/10/71  in Vietnam....He  would have been 21  in Sept of that year....I served as one of his pallbearers and entered active duty myself on  4/6/71...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

One of the reasons I started this post... 

Was in home Depot.. I noticed a gentleman wearing a Vietnam war hat. He was walking arm and arm with his wife and I think they were both helping each other from falling.  I stopped both of them and said " sir I see your wearing a VW hat. I don't remember his exact answer, but he answered by telling me his unit, troop, and whatever info he deemed necessary.  

I said sir I thank you for your service. You in my book are a hero, but those you've left behind, I really can't thank.. you I can.  He took a step back and saluted me.  The only tears were in mine and his wife's eye's.  He was a solid as a teenager.  Both gave me a hug, and said thanks for making there day.  

• Like 4

And we have people like Johnny "Joey" Jones who lost both his legs working EOD in Afghanistan being refused access to an amusement park ride because both his legs are prosthetic. He was on one of the news shows talking about it, and he was not happy. He seems like a very cheerful person in general, and he's trying to get a mid to upper level job at the VA, but he was not happy that some wank at Six Flags wouldn't let him on the ride. Rules are rules, so he took it in stride, but he was obviously pi&&ed. I hope I get to buy him a beer some day. Marine Corps discipline. Joey's feelings were hurt, and he likely could have killed the guy with his bare hands, but he lodged a formal complaint and moved on.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, philoshop said:

And we have people like Johnny "Joey" Jones who lost both his legs working EOD in Afghanistan being refused access to an amusement park ride because both his legs are prosthetic. He was on one of the news shows talking about it, and he was not happy. He seems like a very cheerful person in general, and he's trying to get a mid to upper level job at the VA, but he was not happy that some wank at Six Flags wouldn't let him on the ride. Rules are rules, so he took it in stride, but he was obviously pi&&ed. I hope I get to buy him a beer some day. Marine Corps discipline. Joey's feelings were hurt, and he likely could have killed the guy with his bare hands, but he lodged a formal complaint and moved on.

Like they say suck it up and drive on. Wish I was there the guy wouldn't have had a job or his teeth being disrespectful like that. Not to talk tough but someone needs to stand up for what is right.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Like they say suck it up and drive on. Wish I was there the guy wouldn't have had a job or his teeth being disrespectful like that. Not to talk tough but someone needs to stand up for what is right.

You can't take it out on the employee when he's just following the rules. Apparently it said right on the sign that no one without at least one leg and one arm was allowed on that ride. That Joey Jones is more fit than the vast majority of people on the planet doesn't matter.

I feel your outrage, and I agree with you. But beating on some poor ticket-tearing schlub for doing his job is not the way to go. Hopefully Six Flags will change their policy, at least with regard to military vets.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, philoshop said:

You can't take it out on the employee when he's just following the rules. Apparently it said right on the sign that no one without at least one leg and one arm was allowed on that ride. That Joey Jones is more fit than the vast majority of people on the planet doesn't matter.

I feel your outrage, and I agree with you. But beating on some poor ticket-tearing schlub for doing his job is not the way to go. Hopefully Six Flags will change their policy, at least with regard to military vets.

This rule was instated when in July 2011 an Iraq war vet amputee fell out of the Superman roller coaster   We were there that day   Daughter was denied going on the ride as 1/2” too short   The vet took off his prosthetic legs upon getting on ride at that point he didn’t make the height requirements.  Very sad   

Thank you for all that served and thank you for those who aren’t able to read this   God bless. 

• Like 3

I go with my mother every Memorial day to put flowers and a flag on her father's grave. He came here to America from Italy at the age of 12 in 1912 and joined the army at 17 yo to fight for his new country as an artilleryman. Though he was mostly deaf after that experience he taught me a lot about farming, tractors, and hard work when I was young.

God bless everyone who has worked to protect our not-so-little experiment here in the USA. Hats off to all veterans and current warriors.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

DCE36184-7F56-4C8A-981C-A23D9E0835CB.jpeg

My smoker will have brisket, ribs, two whole turkeys and some pork butts.  

I'm cooking for those who made the ultimate sacrifice.  The food will be vac sealed, and throughout the year, I'll honor those men and women by having a meal in there memory.  

You can still BBQ, and honor those brave heroes. :drinks:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Thanks Pop. RIP 3/29/2018dd6cd7daadcbc954007e5530c950928d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool photos.  

Dad didn't save any photos of him overseas.  I do have one of him in his uniform that I believe was taken at boot camp.  I had it copied, and framed in a American flag Christmas tree ornament.