"Crotch Rocket" motorcycles

philoshop

I have no problem with motorcycles, I rode them for years. But I've heard a dozen of them go past my house throughout this morning like jet fighters. Well over a hundred MPH I'd guess, given that I live here and have developed something of an ear for traffic. Even the trash haulers going 65 MPH back to NYC take a while to pass by. These things are like bugs passing by in two seconds.

Are they stupid kids, or stupid adults? Or just people happy that winter is over? I'm well outside of 'town', but there are still houses lining the road. Any "crotch rocket" enthusiasts have an answer?

The term “ watch for motorcycles “ as a driver of a car has gone out the window as crotch rocket drivers of all ages are the ones I have to be  afraid of. Years back saw 3 kids with their girlfriends on the back. All 3 popped wheelies and wound up their bikes to easy 70+ mph on transit road ( busiest road around )  Daughter knows she’s never dating a guy with a motorcycle. 

Not a fan of loud pipes on Harley’s either. Sit in traffic and rev them up. Why ?! Don’t think it makes their Richard any bigger despite the fact they think so. 

• Like 5

Probably a little bit of both. I've known both older and younger nuts on those things!

Back in my 20's or so, my buddy who was about 30 at the time had a Suzuki GSX1100. 

I was dying for a ride on that thing so he took me out for a rip down the 400. Right about Maple St he opened  it up and I just watched the speedo climb effortlessly as I held on for dear life.

Just before Jamison Rd we clipped 130-140mph just as an Erie County Sheriff was merging onto the 400. We zipped right around him in the fast lane and he never even bothered to hit the lights. It was clear sailing the rest of the way all the way back to my pad down on Seneca St. Never saw another cop to my surprise..., but my face was tucked in so tight I couldn't see much of anything while I was silently praying we didn't hit a pebble and spill the damn thing,lol

Lots of them zipping down my road lately too. Not exactly a good road for that kinda stuff with all the deer and loose gravel, but I'm just a spectator these days.

Been there done that and DON'T need to do it again! :crazypilot:

• Like 3

I work with a guy that used to have a Ducati, he said he hit 150 on it one time and it got a little loose and almost
Dumped it. He told me he pulled to side of the road, called his wife to come get him lol, sold it immediately. Wouldn’t ride it another foot. He said he road bikes his whole life and just lost his nerve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Haha 1

As an owner of a "crotch rocket" I think the idea that everyone who drives one is crazy or careless is off base. It's just the ones who drive like delinquents are the ones you notice most. I've never done wheelies and don't speed except for a rare occasion that I open it up a bit. I've seen my share of cruiser style bikes driving like idiots too. Idiots are going to be idiots no matter what they're on or in...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Rode for twenty years over 100k miles  . Now I’ll admit in my youth on Sunday mornings we’d head out and open them up . But in areas of little to no traffic .

The last few years here in Roch. There are groups of them riding well into triple digits in traffic weaving in and out. Each year I tell our adult daughters, to,watch for motorcycles, but there’s little one can do in this case . 

I get it, I wore the center stand off my one bike due to hard cornering and straightening out the curves  , I would fold up,my pegs and scrape  the pipes as  well, but I did it on empty roads and off times .

I kind of want a bobber rat , now .

TF , I believe loud pipes annoy people and create hostility. My Father lived on Lake rd in Webster right past the first S curve, he could barely watch a Mets game on Sunday as bike after bike would open it up coming out of the first curve , he hated them with a passion .

Co worker lives by a 4 way stop where each loud pipe guy feels the need to whack the throttle . Pretty much wakes his kids up,from  naps daily he really hates them( loud pipes not his kids ) .

One will go by the firehouse and he’ll say he hopes he eats the back of a dump truck .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad

I owned a bike or four but got out of riding a couple years after having my daughter in ‘08.

During my days I would ride with one other guy and that was it, I rode with others a couple of times and didn’t trust any of them. They were the type described above, dangerous, stupid and entitled. 

I never sped on my crotch rockets I swear, even though I had the fastest one going from 99 to 2006 or 7. Some days I miss it but most I do not. 

The most dangerous riders are the ones that drag their bikes out once or twice a year and think they are pros and the type of bike doesn’t matter. I’ll see them next week around here for Americade. 

I bought my first crotch rocket on my 16th birthday a Cbr 600rr against my parents wishes. Have owned and ridden them for the past 15 years and will continue to until my gut prevents me from reaching the bars. I raced them every weekend when I lived down south. My kid days are nearly over but I can still ride a wheelie for miles and my current rocket will still do 100mph in first gear. There is no feeling like opening them up and looking down and doing 130+ in a matter of a few seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have vintage bikes,,, riding these days has become very dangerous IMO the fact that every A Hole has to be on there phone like its a teenager just discovering his penis is not only making driving a bike but driving a car challenging,,, these guys that drive these bikes like idiots make riders look bad...

I think as you get older the noise bothers you more but these Harleys reving the motor like its cool is laughable,, like putting glasspacks and craigers on a Bonneville and calling it fast...

1 hour ago, airedale said:

This was my crotch rocket until some dirty son's of bitches broke into my Barn and stole it.:aggressive:

P1000176.JPG

I hate when these folks lump all us hard core bikers into one crazy group.

Had my ride opened right up full throttle today and I'm not apologizing for doing it either, so tough for you complainers.

Got her purring like a kitten right now too....

dk2NkqA.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

Just to note; that's Glenn Curtis. He also made the first controlled aircraft flight in history about six years after the Wright brothers went up and down along the beach. If you're ever in Hammondsport at the south end of Keuka lake, check out the Curtis Museum.

Had a few bikes when I was younger. Mostly Harleys. My last bike was 30 years ago. Was coming out of Clarksville on 443 just past Van Wie's farm, on the flats. Was doing well over 100mph, when a herd of deer decided to cross the road right in front of me. I should have died that night, as I have no idea how I didn't hit one. I remember seeing them just in front of me and both sides. Got home, got off the bike, and never got on one again.

Got my motorcycle license many years ago with the intent to buy a Ducati. Never did, figured I would die. I drove stupid when I was young, but lucky to have no serious accidents.

Hit 154mph in my corvette once. It was pretty nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a time and a place to have fun i love riding and i ride responsible but it seems everytime i go for a ride there is always someone texting and following to close i try to stay away from the citys whenever possibe and ride the country durning the day so deer are never a issue