Inedible Parts

Lawdwaz

Before I dressed the bird I killed this morning I pulled the beard and legs for me, wing feathers for Dino Rocks (a member here and best bud of Turkeyfeathers), he'll use them for fletching his arrows.  The tail feathers will go to my friend the landowner as he requested them. 

Wing bones are of no use to me, I don't make wing bone calls or know anyone that does. 

Other than those "parts", what would you save and how would you use it?

hir6k76.jpg

I'll cut the spurs off the legs and drill the marrow out, then put them on a piece of string with the other spurs I've kept.  The beards get salted then after dried out enough I wrap the top 1/2" with a thread to keep it all in tight.  No big deal, just like keeping deer horns...........

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Still talking about turkeys or when you were a male prostitute and women’s anatomy? 

Both!.  Even some male prostitutes with female anatomy have killed enough that it would take something special to bother keeping anymore parts. Pretty much all look the same really.

I would just add the skull to the list for my own obvious reasons.

My FB buddy and master carving artist "Jack Bonecarver Brown" (owner of Stones and Bones) just put together this carved spur necklace, with carved antler burr, turkey toenails, and turkey toe bones. I'm not sure what the stone beads are, but I thought this thing was awesome cool! That's a lot of usable parts from a couple of drumsticks!

neck.thumb.jpg.9e069184ec8326ae674ea0b16a080a12.jpg

Edited by wooly
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, wooly said:

I would just add the skull to the list for my own obvious reasons.

My FB buddy and master carving artist "Jack Bonecarver Brown" (owner of Stones and Bones) just put together this carved spur necklace, with carved antler burr, turkey toenails, and turkey toe bones. I'm not sure what the stone beads are, but I thought this thing was awesome cool! That's a lot of usable parts from a couple of drumsticks!

neck.thumb.jpg.9e069184ec8326ae674ea0b16a080a12.jpg

Way over the top man............ :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fans- give them to others to use with their decoys, occasionally I'll replace one. Wings- save the bones for a call maker, occasionally I'll find someone who wants one for hunting (fly down sound) or a turkey dogger who wants to train a new pup. Feet-send them to a guy who makes back scratchers, sometimes I'll give the upper legs to my dogs to chew on. Spurs- I started saving them a couple years ago, when I have enough I'll make a necklace or a band to put around my boonie hat. My cousin is an artist, occasionally she'll ask me for feathers. I know there is a taxidermist in Missouri who buys gobbler heads for freeze-drying, if I ever remember it I'll look him up & see what he's getting for them. I still save the beards, don't ask me why, eventually the mice will find them and chew them till they fall apart.

Edited by Uncle Nicky
  • Like 1