weed whackers

Jeremy K

Whats every one using to whack their weeds? I don't need heavy duty ,just looking for something that works good and of course as cheap as possible . I had a 40 volt dewalt ,it stopped working a few weeks after the warranty so i got a broken one of those still . I've heard good things about the 18 volt ryobi .

My Dad has a Lowes electric one and likes it around his yard. It's whatever the store brand at Lowes is, the blue one. When he comes to help on my lawn he uses my Stihl FS 55. It starts easily, always runs well, and swings some pretty heavy string for the nasty stuff if necessary. Even I can still start it, even though the chainsaws are becoming out-of-bounds for me. It all depends on how much use it's going to see. Those batteries aren't cheap.

Not sure of the make but I’m currently marveling at how wonderfully it feeds the whipping so nice and tight under the coil. Hence , locking it up and I get to pull like a motha counter clockwise to un f it up. Yes the diameter is correct. Check it out for yourself in the morning. It may be curbside for garbage day. I’ll use left handed kids scissors before I use this again. Yes I plan to run with those scissors too. I’m a rebel you know. Gotta refresh , think I missed a few cuss words 

I'm absolutely a Stihl guy, especially when it comes to gas chain saws, but I know nothing about their electric offerings or what their replacement batteries cost. If the cost of battery replacement is more than the cost of a whole new tool, I think twice about the whole thing.

Like I've said , my Dad has the Lowes electric model and loves it for puttering around his yard. He hasn't killed any batteries so far, and he's not exactly kind to them.

• Like 1

I finally decided to stop buying $100 trimmers and blowers at Home Depot every other year and bought Stihl for both. Im trying to find a good used riding mower now, either a Husqvarna, Cub Cadet or John Deere. Must have a hydrostatic transmission. My Craftsman rider is on its last legs I do believe

• Like 1

I’ve had this one two,years now and so far very pleased. Quiet, one finger start , doesn’t get hot and it cuts as good if not better then any gas one I’ve owned .

I have a range 10 x 90 yards and one battery cuts It , and I’m talking often knee high weeds, yard grass is a snap .

No,idea on long term at this point .

oh it’s a Husqvarna 

CB910376-C2AA-48D2-A0CC-D983C4878EE0.jpeg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

I’ve had this one two,years now and so far very pleased. Quiet, one finger start , doesn’t get hot and it cuts as good if not better then any gas one I’ve owned .

I have a range 10 x 90 yards and one battery cuts It , and I’m talking often knee high weeds, yard grass is a snap .

No,idea on long term at this point .

oh it’s a Husqvarna 

CB910376-C2AA-48D2-A0CC-D983C4878EE0.jpeg

Now that you are retired, you can donate that one to me and use landtracdeerhunter’s model!

Ha ! Today I cut the lawn , weed wacked , opened the pool, sanded the rusty pump motor ,painted it ,painted the base, cleaned out a bit of the garage , washed two cars ,ran a couple errands, and was a guest on Bob Lonsberrys radio show for 20 minutes .

Retirement is hard work !!!

• Like 6

I have a Cub Cadet . I bought a chain saw attachment for it a few years ago . That works great for trimming shooting lanes . I plan to buy a Ryobi articulating hedge trimmer attachment to cut tall grass at a few hunting sites . Home Depot has that attachment but don't carry it in the stores so I have to buy it on line . 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-Expand-It-15-in-Articulating-Hedge-Trimmer-Attachment-RYAHT99/203555427

41 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Ha ! Today I cut the lawn , weed wacked , opened the pool, sanded the rusty pump motor ,painted it ,painted the base, cleaned out a bit of the garage , washed two cars ,ran a couple errands, and was a guest on Bob Lonsberrys radio show for 20 minutes .

Retirement is hard work !!!

I love his show.  I usually catch some of it on my way home from work.  I like the way he thinks.  Sorry I missed you on it.  Very cool