Bears and deers

kperez1980

19 minutes ago, kperez1980 said:

So I have bears coming into the area where my deer are and my food plot is how can I keep them away so they don’t scare away my deer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a shared environment.........they'll get along just fine after the bear eats all the fawns, then the bear will move on to greener pastures.

Mother Nature at her finest.

For whatever its worth, here is my 2 cents...Here at home, we have a lot of bears in this area, LOTS.  I have in one year counted 23 sightings within 5 to 10 miles, or so.  Anyways, as far as trail cam vids that I have from my cams, it seems as if they are not too bothered by each other....I have had vids not too long apart of another, and the deer seem under normal behavior.   I think under a situation with a food plot though, that maybe the deer will just walk out of view, until the bear leaves, but no experience there.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, kperez1980 said:

I have had the experience already where the bear sits there for 2 hours laying down catching rays and playing with itself

I'm calling in my closer for this one....going to the right hander and all star Pygmy for the final out on this one!  Lol

• Like 4

They don't generally bother one another. While in my stand, I've had bear and deer around at the same time, up to an hour. The deer seem to maintain distance, but otherwise they couldn't seem to care less.

Now if the deer is already dead, that's a different story. We don't have much luck leaving a deer overnight for morning recovery. We've come across a few crime scenes the next morning.

• Like 1

Depending on what zone you are in, early bear season may open on September 8 or September 15.  After you take one out, the rest will vacate the area.   If it is on a foodplot, you should have easy access to the carcass with an atv.  Bears less than 200 pounds are very good eating, but they only yield about 15 % of body weight in edible meat, the rest consisting of fat, bone, hide,  and guts.    

• Like 1

Bears can be a significant predator of fawns, at least in Pennsylvania according to this study:

http://news.psu.edu/story/186685/2001/12/17/penn-state-study-shows-bears-are-major-predators-fawns

I went to some talks given by Gary Alt back when he was in charge of Pennsylvania's bear program, which was before his involvement in their antler restriction program.  He had pictures of bear dens, some contained deer parts.

jperch

Bears can be a significant predator of fawns, at least in Pennsylvania according to this study:
http://news.psu.edu/story/186685/2001/12/17/penn-state-study-shows-bears-are-major-predators-fawns
I went to some talks given by Gary Alt back when he was in charge of Pennsylvania's bear program, which was before his involvement in their antler restriction program.  He had pictures of bear dens, some contained deer parts.
jperch

Well damn I hope I don’t have this issue

To me it looks like a cub and a sow

When I had my place in Steuben county it was a bear hot spot. They ate most of the fawns in the area every year. It was easy to see based on trail cam pictures and observation during hunting season, lots of single does with no fawns. I would typically get 8 or more different bears on camera during the month of May. They also love clover food plots.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I'm calling in my closer for this one....going to the right hander and all star Pygmy for the final out on this one!  Lol

"sits there for 2 hours laying down catching rays and playing with itself"

Dude...that was Pygmy.

• Haha 2

I've seen bear and deer in the same proximity many, many times. They just sort of ignor each other. In spring/early summer, bears will take some fawns. But mostly right after they drop. Once they can keep up with the doe, bears don't bother with them as much. Coyotes kill a much greater percentage of fawns and deer than bears.

• Like 1

On a jobsite in the Catskills near Wooodstock; we were eating lunch on second floor deck of a house. Watched a fully mature bear actively smelling a scent trail working his way across a big field. Then he climbed a smaller lone tree in the middle of field for about 5 minutes. He bolted down out of the tree and pounced on a fawn hidden in the grass, went to rock wall and had his fill. 

Seen some cool predator hunts, but that was right up there for wow factor.

• Like 2