Smoker experts; vertical or horizontal?

Dinsdale

I have a steel tank that I'm going to cut and weld on.

Vertical ? Horizontal? Build an indirect smoke source off the side?

I've done the old refrigerator route years ago for ham and bacon, electric burner in bottom.

If I went horizontal I could grill on it too.

Input?

Edited by Dinsdale

9 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

I have a steel tank that I'm going to cut and weld on.

Vertical ? Horizontal? Build an indirect smoke source off the side?

I've done the old refrigerator route years ago for ham and bacon, electric burner in bottom.

If I went horizontal I could grill on it too.

Input?

I think either way would work fine. The driving force for me would be what was I primarily going to cook on it. If I were doing things that I wanted to hang then I would go vertical. If I wanted to grill more or do things that could lay down like turkeys or hams then I would probably go horizontal.  What are your plans for a heat source? If you decide to go horizontal I would suggest using a convection plate in the cooking chamber. This plate with a progressions of holes from smaller near the heat source to larger away from the heat source really help even out the temps in a horizontal rig. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Thanks 1

My dad built a vertical style, been using it for about 15 years, I would go the same route he did if I were to build one.  If you wanted to smoke something horizontally for say a cold smoke, you can always use a tiny wood stove, with a pipe to plumb the smoke into the firebox of the vertical style smoker.  I hope that made sense.  

I know you plan on a tank, but I believe my dad made this from oak skids...still inexpensive. 

Screenshot_20180530-220701_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 2