Escape from New York

Steuben Jerry

52 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I'm definitely researching the northeastern part of TN.

Had a friend move down there and started a little lawn mowing business to earn some cash. He said he got on the mower on the road and would not get off until he got back to the road because of the snakes. He said if ran out of gas he would sit there till someone came along to help:taunt:.

That alone would keep me from moving to most of the southern states.

In Tennessee, most snakebites occur between the months of April and October when the weather warms up and more people are out of doors. The snake responsible for the most bites in Tennessee is the copperhead, a snake with a comparatively mild venom.  The other venomous snakes native to Tennessee are the cottonmouth, timber rattlesnake and pigmy rattlesnake

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 1

I don't think the house I own here in NY is worth anywhere near what the market rate is right now, but nonetheless if I were to sell it I could probably buy a huge house with lots of acreage around it in a state like Tennessee or the Carolina's with it's low cost homes.  The problem for me is that I can't see myself being too far from my kids.  And I don't think my wife would like that either.  It would be an easy decision if one had no one else to think about, but that isn't the case for me and I would consider it a selfish move if I was just thinking about myself and not those who I care about most.  Lots of factors that come into play with making such a move that go beyond only dollars and cents.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Steve D said:

In Tennessee, most snakebites occur between the months of April and October when the weather warms up and more people are out of doors. The snake responsible for the most bites in Tennessee is the copperhead, a snake with a comparatively mild venom.  The other venomous snakes native to Tennessee are the cottonmouth, timber rattlesnake and pigmy rattlesnake

If I frequent a place with a lot of snakes I will be packing. These here work good for snakes, I buy the empty capsules and load my own. I bank fished on the Black River years ago and it was loaded with big water snakes. The bank was mostly big flat rocks and and in the cracks between those rocks was snake city, when the sun came out they would slither out to warm themselves all over the place sometimes just a few feet away. The shot capsules also work good on big eels, when reeled in they would be wound up in a big slimey ball. Hold them up and give them a charge of rat shot and they straighten right out for easy removal of the hook.

As for Tennessee I think it is a great place for retirement, been down there several times visiting friends, had a good time and liked what I saw.

Al

2018-05-31_093428.png

Edited by airedale

I moved out last September. I now reside in Delaware and I am so much happier.  My stress level has gone down dramatically and that’s with stil working. Don’t get me wrong, I miss the heck out of the mountains, rivers and streams Ihunted and fished for 40+ years.   The extra money that stays in my pocket eases the pain though. Taxes are very low here and there’s no sales tax.

I wish I would have done it years ago, but I guess better late than never.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, letinmfly said:

I moved out last September. I now reside in Delaware and I am so much happier.

Our daughter moved down to the central part of DE a few years ago for work. Beautiful state! Low taxes, no sales tax - how do they pull that off, and why is NY not interested in emulating it?

When we visit and drive through Wilmington, there's always a few cranes in the sky building something new as businesses pour into the state. Don't see too many cranes in NY unless they're replacing rooftop AC units.

12 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Our daughter moved down to the central part of DE a few years ago for work. Beautiful state! Low taxes, no sales tax - how do they pull that off, and why is NY not interested in emulating it?

When we visit and drive through Wilmington, there's always a few cranes in the sky building something new as businesses pour into the state. Don't see too many cranes in NY unless they're replacing rooftop AC units.

Delaware's a small state, the biggest city is Wilmington. While there is a small "hood" in Wilmington (I actually worked there for a short while), they don't have nearly the number or percentage of inner-city residents to support. Also, Delaware is VERY business friendly, Wilmington is the HQ for quite a few financial companies and many companies form "Delaware Corporations" because of less strict corporate tax rates. I'd consider living anywhere below New Castle county, anything above that is getting pretty crowded, and more like a suburb of Philly. There are a LOT of Philly area residents retiring to Delaware these days, especially near the shore towns; the guy that sits next to me at the job just bought a retirement condo in Bethany Beach.

Edited by Uncle Nicky

27 minutes ago, Uncle Nicky said:

Delaware's a small state, the biggest city is Wilmington. While there is a small "hood" in Wilmington (I actually worked there for a short while), they don't have nearly the number or percentage of inner-city residents to support. Also, Delaware is VERY business friendly, Wilmington is the HQ for quite a few financial companies and many companies form "Delaware Corporations" because of less strict corporate tax rates. I'd consider living anywhere below New Castle county, anything above that is getting pretty crowded, and more like a suburb of Philly. There are a LOT of Philly area residents retiring to Delaware these days, especially near the shore towns; the guy that sits next to me at the job just bought a retirement condo in Bethany Beach.

She and her family live in New Castle County, but she commutes to Philly. Last time there they toured us through the southern part of the state. Loved the area!

• Like 1

Yes, Kent & Sussex county are beautiful. 50 miles to the Chesapeake one way, 50 miles to the ocean the other. Still relatively rural, and a few degrees warmer than Philly. Some of the best waterfowl hunting on the East Coast, and the deer hunting isn't too shabby either. No shortage of tidal rivers and marshes for fishing & crabbing either. :drinks:

I'd be gone in a heartbeat if the wife would let us move. Working in wNY there are limited corporate gigs to work and I am lucky enough to have one. That said, other cities and states offer a more competitive marketplace for employment in my corporate sector. Wife just won't have it now, but we're in alignment that retirement means being outside of NY. I lead a group in Tampa/St. Pete and travel there once a month - its so competitive there that I've been given offers to consider literally sitting at the sports bar/eatery located amongst 20-25 different corporate buildings in just one commercial park.

The border along VA/NC is pretty interesting. Hunting opportunities are cheap to come by through paper and lumber company leases, taxes on a small chunk of private are minimal, and you get the seasons still, with usually a couple dustings of snow from time to time. But, not the depths of winter up here. I think shooting a trophy up here is more likely, but they have some decent deer down there, too. Employment is a bit difficult in some sectors, though. There are plenty of lakes along that line...Gaston is nearby and is a gem. Clear water!

Getting older is interesting; my wife and I are starting to talk about what we want to do with retirement. Still a long ways to go, but that wasn't even a discussion it seems like yesterday. Time flies.

Good luck with your search!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

A thread called "Escape from NY" needs more Snake Plissken.

Realizing that we will probably be out of NYC in the next ten years my wife and I are actively looking, but further afield. We had narrowed it down to Nova Scotia and Merida in Mexico.  But we just go back from a friend's country estate in southern Sweden and we were pretty blown away. Mostly high-end ag land with pretty little cobblestone street villages. And the most beautiful barns. Weird to say, but there was a real barn pride there and they were all immaculate.

Plus Swedish women.

Seems to be a lot of roe and fallow deer, and hare, pheasant and partridge shooting. I saw deer stands everywhere. This was taken on his land (can't seem to rotate it). Well known for his twisted muzzle. 

IMG_7764.thumb.JPG.71a1cad2d8d98bee51c8e53fe847ee2e.JPG

• Like 2

My wife will have 32 yrs in a state job when she retires at 55 in 7 yrs.  We've got a very modest home worth around 150k. Our taxes on 1.8 a is almost $2500.  Our mortgage will be PD off in 7 yrs. So we'll be able to sell our current home and move South with enough $ to pay cash for a home with a lot more land with taxes a lot less. 

Lived in NY all my life, except for a 4 yr stint in Ohio when dad's job got transferred. Looking forward to the next chapter. 

Tennessee, and northern VA are on our list.  Going to be a long 7 yrs.  

• Like 2