fertilizer ???

I get most of my fertilizer from Rinehart's in Middleport.   15-15-15 starter was about $10 per 50 pound bag this year.  Urea may be similar in cost there.  I only sprung for (3) bags of starter this year, which was just enough for the 3 acres of corn that I planted today.  I had (4) acres worked up and plenty of corn seed, but it looks like I will need to plant that last acre with turnips at the end of the summer.  I will broadcast it with buckwheat in a couple weeks, to keep the weeds under control until then.   Standing corn and turnips makes for a killer combination during late ML season. 

I don't use any Urea on foodplots, because I only plant the stuff that needs a lot of nitrogen (like corn and turnips), on ground that had been in white clover for at least 4 years.  That way, most of the nitrogen is "free", having been "fixed" by the clover.  The clover has the additional benefit of providing food for the deer at night when they do not need the cover that the corn provides.   A problem with heavy application of Urea is that it acidifies the soil, forcing you to start chasing your tail with heavy lime application.   A clover/corn rotation is a far more economical way to get your nitrogen, providing you have about (4-5) acres of white clover for every acre of corn or turnips.  That usually works out ok for foodplots, but not so for agricultural production, which is why there will always be a good market for Urea and lime.        

yeah thanks guys i was planning using it on turnips mid august...still searching for some urea in the cny area, but no luck i found some on- line but the one site said will not ship to NY or CA not sure why. Last year i just used 19-19-19 and seemed to work fine but from research ive done it says urea is better once the plants are like 3in high...and i hope to do the clover thing and rotate in a few years but my clover plots are only starting 2nd year

• 5 weeks later...
8 hours ago, land 1 said:

yeah dont even know if it will all get used this year, I just held of on the urea until i know i get a good planting and good germination 

That's the right idea.  I wait until brassicas are up 4" before spreading urea.  If you can get it on before a good rain ti will really make them take off.