Long island shed

Iluvracks1359

Check out this shed my buddies friend found while walking through the woods in a state park in long island. My buddy works for an environmental agency down there, and they do some deer culling because the population is so out of control, ive seen so many pics of HUGE bucks, ive started to think the big buck states have NOTHING on long island bucks. Look at the mass of this shed. . .this deer must be an absolute monster, (also notice the kicker off of the g3)

Attach50275_20180531_103532.jpg

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Good night thats a monster!  Always wondered how there are such big bucks there.  

NOBODY hunts down there... the population is so out of control. The deer are literally desteoying all of the undergrowth in what little forested land exists down there. My suggestion is do yourself some research snd get down there!! Lol..i plan on it!

24 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Good night thats a monster!  Always wondered how there are such big bucks there.  

Some of the parks are no hunting. There are many residential areas that hold deer and they don't get pressured. They grow big and old. Then you have the areas where you can hunt. It is heavily regulated, checking in and out, pretty thick with underbrush. They can hold tight and you wont see them. At gun season we just walk all day pushing deer. If you have a private area its gold and it gives you a real good shot at killing a big one. One big problem is trespassing and theft. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Iluvracks1359 said:

NOBODY hunts down there... the population is so out of control. The deer are literally desteoying all of the undergrowth in what little forested land exists down there. My suggestion is do yourself some research snd get down there!! Lol..i plan on it!

Not true at all. There are more hunters than ever here on LI. The problem is that there are many areas that are off limits to hunters, like many state parks. Then when hunters do get access to a state park like Wildwood, it is only certain parts of the park and the deer learn very quickly the areas to avoid. In addition to a very restrictive gun season here, there are many areas that act as sanctuaries letting deer reach maturity. There is also the issue of no hunting in Nassau County where the population is steadily growing and contains some of the biggest deer on LI, with bucks in the age range of 6+. 

Yes there are some big deer here, but most are unhuntable, and unless you can secure permission on your very own little sanctuary you will be disappointed. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Iluvracks1359 said:

well even though some big deer not gonna be my bag. lol  I dont even like driving in syracuse.  NYC scares me!  lol  Even if Biz was the guide. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, NonTypical said:

Not true at all. There are more hunters than ever here on LI. The problem is that there are many areas that are off limits to hunters, like many state parks. Then when hunters do get access to a state park like Wildwood, it is only certain parts of the park and the deer learn very quickly the areas to avoid. In addition to a very restrictive gun season here, there are many areas that act as sanctuaries letting deer reach maturity. There is also the issue of no hunting in Nassau County where the population is steadily growing and contains some of the biggest deer on LI, with bucks in the age range of 6+. 

Yes there are some big deer here, but most are unhuntable, and unless you can secure permission on your very own little sanctuary you will be disappointed. 

GOOD info, what I have heard is that a lot of the land owners down there DO consider the deer a nuisance..  so if it is an area where you can bow hunt, I would say don't be afraid to knock on doors and ask permission? So all of Nassau is 0 hunting whatsoever...not even open to bow?

It is also really thick down in long island especially montauk and hamptons.  Some of those giant bucks will bed down in that stuff and you will never get to them........
I second that. Have a beach house in Montauk and have seen Giants strolling along midday in the fall browsing on the landscaping. All in unhuntable residential areas (0.25 acre lots). Town of East Hampton also doesn't make it easy to hunt. There are big ones in Montauk state park, but it is thick beyond belief. I gave up on trying as I wasn't sure I would be able to recover anything I shot. They out there though and kudos to anyone who can put one on the ground and recover it.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

• Like 1

No crossbows allowed and Nassau is still off limits for hunting.  We have some brutes but like stated before they know how to avoid the public hunting spots.  Private land is the best bet at getting one of these brutes.  And if you think no hunters are present on Long Island try getting a reservation on public land October 1st and you will see we have plenty of hunters putting presser on the deer.  Like stated above the biggest issue is access.  I cant show pics but the deer I was after was shot 2 years ago and measured 167, we do have some brutes but seeing them on public land is rare especially during legal shooting time.  

Edited by NFA-ADK
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Iluvracks1359 said:

Check out this shed my buddies friend found while walking through the woods in a state park in long island. My buddy works for an environmental agency down there, and they do some deer culling because the population is so out of control, ive seen so many pics of HUGE bucks, ive started to think the big buck states have NOTHING on long island bucks. Look at the mass of this shed. . .this deer must be an absolute monster, (also notice the kicker off of the g3)

Attach50275_20180531_103532.jpg

A good example, of what adding some age to a buck can do.  That really is a "BIG" shed!!!   Wow!

• Like 2

it's very realistic to see a lot of deer top out around 140's at peak age with some being much smaller and some being much bigger. 140" buck is considered to be big by most. if they live a while it can be an awesome site to see. i know of one similar that got taken up this way right in the "city". this old lady didn't want it eating her garden everyday. lol

23 hours ago, tarheel95 said:

I second that. Have a beach house in Montauk and have seen Giants strolling along midday in the fall browsing on the landscaping. All in unhuntable residential areas (0.25 acre lots). Town of East Hampton also doesn't make it easy to hunt. There are big ones in Montauk state park, but it is thick beyond belief. I gave up on trying as I wasn't sure I would be able to recover anything I shot. They out there though and kudos to anyone who can put one on the ground and recover it.

Yup I do not know how you could recover some of those deer.  You know as soon as they are hit they are going right for the thickest nastiest spot.  A human being physically can not walk through that stuff....

• 1 month later...

Took the train back from Montauk yesterday afternoon. 80 degrees, humid, broad daylight and big buck bachelor groups out munching on browse and landscaping in people's back yards next to the train tracks. It is crazy. They know they are safe.

• 3 weeks later...