Need some help

damore81

Late to the topic but may be able to provide some helpful information here based on recent experience.

NYS places property taxes and school taxes on both land and building but assigns two different assessed values one to "land" and one to "building". So it's incorrect to say you don't pay school taxes or less school tax if you don't have a house there.  You still pay both school and property taxes on land.  You pay less tax in general because you'll only have a "land" line item on the tax bill. Once you put up a structure, and by structure I mean something not on wheels you're going to get hit with a higher assessment and pay both higher school and regular property taxes.  You receive two separate bills in Schoharie County. One from the county in January for property taxes, and one in September from the school district you are zoned for for the school taxes.  Two separate payments to two taxing authorities.

Next, in terms of building a cabin or shed.  NYS has strict requirements for dwellings these days. You can attempt to get away with something, but if the assessor or code enforcement officer/building inspector catches wind of it, you may be in some trouble and it will wind up costing you more in the end.  You can put a camper/RV/something on wheels and that's exempt from everything.  Once you tie it to the ground or have it on a foundation, it's a building, needs a permit and has to meet code.  Code in NY is very strict. About 10 years ago they adopted some international building standards and wow, it is bonkers. Gone are the days of having your buddies come up with a case of beer and slap some shack together. It has to meet insulation requirements, the foundation has to be a certain depth with insulation, if it's a manufactured home (trailer), it needs to be tied down a certain way.  All sorts of stuff you never would imagine, and much of it is in the name of energy efficiency.  They let you put up a shed without a permit, however, that's not considered a dwelling. The only way to get around it is to quietly build a cabin/shed and not have any electricity or running water to it.  Once you want to put in a septic or a well, you need a county permit and engineer to come out and design it so you can get that permit.

If it's in the NYC watershed, oh boy, that adds another layer of issues when it comes to wastewater.  

My advice to you, if looking for a place to hang your hat a few nights a year for hunting, buy an RV or something and have no services to it. If you need something a little more permanent, you're going to have to invest money to get power to the property, well, septic, tree clearing, driveway, etc.  Regardless if you're putting a $100k trailer or a $1 million mansion, the basic infrastructure costs are the same. Oh and anything over 800 sq feet typically needs to have real plans stamped by a licensed engineer or architect. If you buy a manufactured home, the home builder will provide a set of plans for the building permit process.

I know all of this because I am currently building a home in Schoharie County. It's more complicated and costing me a lot more than I initially expected. Feel free to reach out should you have any questions.

Edited by rjrdomer