Henry .22 Fireman’s commemorative

Last night was my retirement party, at which my former crew gave me this rifle !  It was way more then necessary, but I’m honored , and almost don’t want to use it . Not the best pics I know .

B1E52F9A-44A1-4518-8DAD-6F9ACB12280C.jpeg

2405E1B8-3CB4-4E20-99D2-88A033D3FEB2.jpeg

1FDF35C8-E9F7-4F97-B649-0920EAEFC065.jpeg

• Like 17

Henry makes some very nice commemorative rifles and your Fireman's model is no exception. They are a little fancy to beat up in the woods but great to bring to the range for some target and plinking fun, take her out of the case and she will draw a crowd.:pleasantry:

Congrats on your new rifle and your retirement.

Al

• Like 2

What an honor, and absolutely beautiful gun. I think a display case, and hung in a prominent place in your home/trophy room, would be the way to go. Much too nice to use for plinking.

Congratulations again Larry on your retirement. Job well done my friend.

• Like 1

Ny hunter,  that’s a good point,, from reading online, many say don’t shoot it ever, that they’ll go up in value . But what good is that? My kids can sell it for a bit more  ? I think I’ll use it but carefully , 

Airedale, that’s most likely what I’d do , in a case to and from the range , shoot and handle with care .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, philoshop said:

I wouldn't want to drop it in the mud while squirrel hunting, but I'd definitely take it to the range for some casual plinking.

"A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are made for". Don't remember who said that.

I could easily change that quote to, "A firefighter doesn't train to stay in the house, that's not what firefighters are for."

5 hours ago, Moho81 said:

What a great gift! I hope the rest of your night was just as good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it was , I have the paperwork , but didn’t look at the price, as I know it’s more then I’d want them to spend .

A ,little low and to the right , but great fun to shoot ! There’s a couple 7mm08 mixed in this target as well . 40 yards standing for the .22 .

the small front site and my eyes made it a challenge .....

At first I didn’t see the white diamond on the rear site ! 

My readers make the sites clear but I didn’t have a pair with me , next time .

BF1595FE-91C4-4C46-8B6D-E8C696ABB595.jpeg

FE490150-29DC-442C-9F50-ED2A885F66A1.jpeg

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

A ,little low and to the right , but great fun to shoot ! There’s a couple 7mm08 mixed in this target as well . 40 yards standing for the .22 .

BF1595FE-91C4-4C46-8B6D-E8C696ABB595.jpeg

FE490150-29DC-442C-9F50-ED2A885F66A1.jpeg

All that target tells me is you need to get out and shoot more & shoot more often.  Seeing as your schedule is CLEAR, do it!!

Congratulations again Larry.

• Like 2

It’s an honest target, I dumped the tube of 22s in about 20-30 seconds , never been one of those slow fire from a rest guy . I am thinking of joining GCC as it’s only  few miles from home .

My land is 64 miles round trip .

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

It’s an honest target, I dumped the tube of 22s in about 20-30 seconds , never been one of those slow fire from a rest guy . I am thinking of joining GCC as it’s only  few miles from home .

My land is 64 miles round trip .

I was a member there for a year.  Its a great facility but too crowded when I went.  That said, now that you have all the time in the world, I suspect you can find times when you have the range to yourself.  Plus, it has the indoor pistol range that you will likely use even if only to rapid fire that lever action!

By the way, it has an archery range too.  Now that I think of it, if you join let me know.  I may restart my membership and tag along.

Edited by moog5050

Will do. I shot the 3D range there in the late ‘80’s when I first started bow hunting , I worked near by and a few of us would shoot after work.

The key to shooting this gun is going to be being able to see the front sight !

Well deserved Larry. Thank you for serving. 

As far as commemorative guns go it would seem that they are only worth more that the normal firearm if you can find a person that actually wants a  commemorative. We aren't talking about a pistol that was owned and carried by Patton or a matching set presented to a President (I mean real Presidents not ones like Carter...lol). Those are more historical I know but typically still a special edition.  If that makes sense. I say enjoy it and take the opportunity to reflect back on a career of service with brothers that meant a lot to you each time you use it. 

I too have difficulty with open sights these days. The best solution I have come up with is converting most all of my open sighted firearms to fire sight type front sights which have helped me quite a bit especially in low lighting conditions. They standout really well and are easy to install on most guns. A couple of days ago I was out blasting away with my Kingston Garand 22 LR and decided to try a fire sight on that rifle too because of poor sight acquisition against certain backgrounds, ordered one of these.

Al

s-l400.jpg

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the tip Al .

Moved the rear sight a bit, this was down on one knee at 40 yards, I know some of you group arrows better at that range .....

Just hard seeing that tiny front sight with out my readers , with them can’t see target well .

6641778B-71F8-4BB7-9B40-E8D1612BE558.jpeg

• Like 5